Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caller-id question

Options
  • 13-10-2007 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking at getting a new DECT phone setup and am attracted to a fancy Siemens one that has a separate base station (i.e. no phone attached) that I can hide away somewhere out of the way. The only thing is, it only appears on the UK version of Siemens' website, and if I go to the Irish version all I get to see is a grand total of two (yes, two!) rather archaic looking DECT phones, and not the one I'm looking for. An email to Siemens resulted in the rather predictable "We make phones for different markets ... can't guarantee it'll work ... blah, blah, blah" response.

The only thing I can think of that might be different is Caller-ID, but can't find any information anywhere that states definitively that the CLIP standard used here is the same as that in the UK, so does anyone here have any experience of using a UK model DECT phone here, preferably a Siemens one and can tell me if it works 100% as expected or not?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The uk standard is identical to the Irish model. It will work ok. You do need an adaptor to convert it from UK to IRL.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Bond-007 wrote: »
    The uk standard is identical to the Irish model. It will work ok. You do need an adaptor to convert it from UK to IRL.
    Thanks for that Bond-007! I knew you needed an adapter as they use a different plug in the UK.

I wonder why though why they bother making a distinction between the UK and Ireland on their websites as far as the available models goes? Puzzling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Alun wrote: »
    Thanks for that Bond-007! I knew you needed an adapter as they use a different plug in the UK.

I wonder why though why they bother making a distinction between the UK and Ireland on their websites as far as the available models goes? Puzzling.

They probably make a distinction between the 2 models as the UK model comes with the BT style plug on it...

You will need a converter to convert between the BT style plug and the RJ11 which we use (dixons sell these)... The other option is that there is probably an RJ11 plug on the bottom of the base station, so you could just use an RJ11 -> RJ11 cable from another phone...

I bought a BT DECT phone and am using it with blueface with a linksys ATA, it works fine, including the caller ID.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

That won't work as the ringers are different in the UK and Ireland. If you use an RJ11 -> RJ11 cable from another phone it won't ring.

They probably make a distinction between the 2 models as the UK model comes with the BT style plug on it...
    No, the model I'm after isn't officially available in Ireland at all, regardless of what plug is on it. Take a look for yourself .. the difference in the available range of phones is huge.

Ireland : http://gigaset.siemens.com/shc/0,1935,ie_en_0_125286_rArNrNrNrN,00.html

UK : http://gigaset.siemens.com/shc/0,1935,uk_en_0_34866_rArNrNrNrN_df%253Apl,00.html
    You will need a converter to convert between the BT style plug and the RJ11 which we use (dixons sell these)... The other option is that there is probably an RJ11 plug on the bottom of the base station, so you could just use an RJ11 -> RJ11 cable from another phone...
    I've got loads of RJ11 cables, that sounds like the better alternative.

• Advertisement

Bond-007 wrote: »
    That won't work as the ringers are different in the UK and Ireland. If you use an RJ11 -> RJ11 cable from another phone it won't ring.
    OK.

Advertisement