Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More emoticons for boards?

Options
  • 13-10-2007 6:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

I think emoticons is the correct term, not well up on internet jargon.

We seem to have 10 standard faces we can insert in posts.
    The other internet forum I'm most familiar with www.biker.ie.
    It for motorcyclists.
    I haven't counted how many that site has but I'm guessing it's over 50.

I find them very funny and they add to a post if used correctly.
    I'm aware if boards brought in more, the muppet brigade may overuse them like using one for every sentance.

But I haven't ever seen a problem with the inappropriate use of emoticons on boards.

So, is there a possibility of adding more.
    Stroll over to the biker site if you want to see an example.
    You need to be registered and capable of posting to see the entire menu

Note: I'm not promoting another site, just giving the best example that I can
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I would agree, some more emoticons would be great. I seriously miss the Pacman one.

One thing I think would be of great use is this one: squint.gif

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

As long as they don't make noise I don't have a problem with them.

As long as they don't make noise I don't have a problem with them.

In fairness, how many forums actually use noise making ones?

I think as long as they're not something useless and random and highly animated, then they should be ok.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

In fairness, how many forums actually use noise making ones?

I think as long as they're not something useless and random and highly animated, then they should be ok.

I know and I seriously doubt the admins would ever add something like that but I just really hate those stupid smileys that make noise. Also agree with the highly animated bit.

Also agree with the highly animated bit.

I wouldn't mind some animated smileys, but nothing big and annoying that could be used excessively by attention seekers (Possibly shooting myself in the foot there).

I think the admins have said 'no animated emoticons under any circumstance' before though. Otherwise, I'd propose this Dio emoticon for the Rock & Metal board:

dioov7.gif

Dio could be used to show that something is supremely metal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Less emoticons ftw.

or at the very least get rid these ones..... :D :cool: :rolleyes:

*shudder*

clown bag wrote: »
    Less emoticons ftw.

or at the very least get rid these ones..... :D :cool: :rolleyes:

*shudder*

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

:rolleyes:

:(

I wouldn't mind some animated smileys, but nothing big and annoying that could be used excessively by attention seekers (Possibly shooting myself in the foot there).

I think the admins have said 'no animated emoticons under any circumstance' before though. Otherwise, I'd propose this Dio emoticon for the Rock & Metal board:

dioov7.gif

Dio could be used to show that something is supremely metal.

Check out the cloud skin, there are two animated ones on that.

Check out the cloud skin, there are two animated ones on that.

Oh, so there are. Not mad on the Cloud skin though, and it still lacks Dio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,265 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

yeah, deviantart have like 478 emoticons, don't really use them all, but 11 doesn't really seem enough

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

:v:

eolhc wrote: »
    yeah, deviantart have like 478 emoticons, don't really use them all, but 11 doesn't really seem enough

Yeah, but most of the ones on Deviant Art are complete crap that nobody would ever use.

I think if we're going to add more here, it's got to be something that's actually usefull, not random crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

theres almost 100 on one of the other forums i be on, there not really misused at all, when they are only one or two might be included in the post, some of the members have also had one designed to reflect their own personalites

irish-stew wrote: »
    some of the members have also had one designed to reflect their own personalites

There was actually a Karl Hungus smiley here at one stage. It was a smiley with a viking hat. Went the way of Pacman and the ninja though. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

The one below is a must for internet forums, just remove blue roll eyes. :)

handbag.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 30,265 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

how popular would this be for personal issues *joking*
    suicide.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The current ones are fine IMO. I hate those animated/noisy ones, and don't see any need to turn the place into anymore of a kiddie-txtspk clubhouse than it (sometimes) is.

By that I mean that I've been to forums where every post contains animated drinking smilies, ones advertising your IP, ones like those already posted here, and personally I find it an eyesore as you try to read a thread.

However, if we must have them, can an option be included in the CP to disable the "extra" ones (like you can in msn messenger for example), and in the same manner as we can already disable sigs if we want to.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

cry.gifemot-argh.gifemot-gay.gifemot-gonk.gifemot-iceburn.gifemot-iiam.gifemot-master.gifemot-monocle.gifemot-pwnonk.gifemot-raise.gifemot-ssh.gifemot-tinfoil.gifemot-v.gifemot-words.gifteach.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I don't think I'd mind once they are kept to 16x16 or 32x16.

attachment.php?attachmentid=46031&d=1192310707attachment.php?attachmentid=46030&d=1192310653

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

:(

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

CuLT wrote: »
    cry.gifemot-argh.gifemot-gay.gifemot-gonk.gifemot-iceburn.gifemot-iiam.gifemot-master.gifemot-monocle.gifemot-pwnonk.gifemot-raise.gifemot-ssh.gifemot-tinfoil.gifemot-v.gifemot-words.gifteach.gif

All stole from somethingawful.com

I like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

CuLT wrote: »
    <assortment of emoticons>
    I can only see emot-idontknow.gifemot-v.gif and emot-gonk.gif having any kind of relevance.

Maybe emot-ese.gif for the foreigner bashing threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

A bit more choice would be nice all right, without going overboard.

Not sure about too many animated ones, though I have to say I like this one (I think it was Hagar posted it up somewhere)

I'll get me coat:

llgetmecoatla3.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Rhyme wrote: »
    emot-v.gif

*sniff* Oh the Pacman smilie. Had pretty much no relevance to anything, but damn it it was one cool emoticon.
    Why the premature death of Pacman? Something to do with his relationship with Ms Pacman?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Harrumph...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

DeVore wrote: »
    Harrumph...

DeV.
    Now couldn't you have said that so much more quickly and cogently with an appropriate emoticon? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Karoma wrote: »
    :v:

QFT.

:€

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I propose removing the rolleyes smiley!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I propose removing the rolleyes smiley!
    I second that.

It's the most misused emoticon ever.