Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

URGENT: Need help installing O2 Broadband

Options
  • 13-10-2007 6:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi.

I've just purchased O2 mobile broadband, and I'm having a lot of trouble getting it installed.

When connected to the USB, the light on the modem flashes green, but no installation menu appears whatsoever. I absolutely cannot find any sign of the hardware on my pc, other than in the "Safely Remove Hardware" tab. Whatsmore, I think my computer is recognising it as a cd-rom drive, and it's appearing and dissapearing from "My Computer" regularly, but I can't install it.

I've rung customer services, but they couldn't help me, and I've even brought the modem back and got a new one, but it's the same old problem.

Does anyone know any way to fix this problem? Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Have you not got an installation CD-ROM? That would install required software...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's because they put USB storage in it. So they don't supply a CD. The SW is supposed to install from the built in storage in the modem.

You need download and install the E220 drivers (if that's what it is) and disable USB mass storage before you plug it in ... or something.

Well known problem for Vodaphone, 3 and O2 as they are all using the same USB modem.

It comes with a Y cable as it takes too much power for one USB connection so it must be plugged into two USB ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Make and model of computer?

I had the same issue when I got Vodafone's Hauwei USB modem, in the end, I returned it to the shop. I've since reinstalled Windows on my laptop, so it probably would work then, but it didnt and I went to 3 and their data card instead. The rest is a sad, sad story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Ring their broadband support on 1850601740 - I'm sure they'll be able to help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Deadite

watty wrote: »
    It's because they put USB storage in it. So they don't supply a CD. The SW is supposed to install from the built in storage in the modem.

You need download and install the E220 drivers (if that's what it is) and disable USB mass storage before you plug it in ... or something.

How would I go about doing that? (It is a HUAWEI E220 HSDPA USB MODEM)

My computer is an E-machines Pentium 4 running Windows XP. Would re-installing Windows XP help? How do I do that? I'm a bit computer-illiterate with these technical things.
    Ring their broadband support on 1850601740 - I'm sure they'll be able to help!

Already have, but to no avail.

• Advertisement

Try my option first, might save you a reinstall. You can't be the only one to have had such issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭corkie

There is know issues with the Hauwei USB modem which can cause conflicts with the autorun feature of the Modem.

Make sure you haven't disable autorun on cdrom's.

The device contains a Virtual CD-rom that autoruns to install the drivers.

There is a link to you tube video on my blog for installing under vista. I know your using XP but the instructions there should help.

Regards,
    John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

You should also use the USB ports on the back of your computer as some computers have front USB ports that don't provide full power for some reason. They are find for Flash drives but useless for anything trying to get power from the device like a MP3 player trying to charge itself from them.

I had problems with my parents Dell, even with the back USB ports and I just switched to another port and it worked fine (3 broadband not O2).

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

hi guys, i had an auto install with my o2 modem, just followed the prompts, altough i have been getting very slow speeds or hanging totaly the last 2 days, have been on to CS twice today, no known network issues, but something maybe to bear in mind if the OP cant get set up, i'm awaiting a call back from an engineer on my issue

stick with it for now deadite, i've been quite happy with mine apart from this weekend, and their CS are alot better compared against another ISP on these pages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bigjohnny80

I had to use switch it between the different usb ports before it installed properly. only works on the front 2 ports . . .maybe try that. Its been running very well since then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

URGENT: Need help installing O2 Broadband

Why is this URGENT ?

is someone about to die ? If you dont get your broadband up and running within the hour - will someone be shot dead ?

ATTENTION!!!! ATTENTION !!!!! ATTENTION!!!!!!
    URGENT!!!!!! URGENT !!!!!!!!! URGENT

KStaford wrote: »
    Why is this URGENT ?

is someone about to die ? If you dont get your broadband up and running within the hour - will someone be shot dead ?

ATTENTION!!!! ATTENTION !!!!! ATTENTION!!!!!!
    URGENT!!!!!! URGENT !!!!!!!!! URGENT
    Post reported. Please DO NOT joke about such issues. His goldfish has already met his maker and they have his cat!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

KStaford wrote: »
    Why is this URGENT ?

stupidly oversize text removed

Maybe they want to get it going before the trial expires and they get locked into a contract!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Reinstalling won't help and is usually a waste of time.

Advertisement