Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Engine swapping?

Options
  • 13-10-2007 7:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭

Hey don't know if this is in the right place but i'm sure a mod will sort it out if its not;)

I was wondering if anyone knows on average, what a qualified mechanic would charge for swapping an engine? It's pretty much the same engine i.e it will run with the gearbox i have and the mounts are the same. Its just the electrics that i would be worried of.

If ye need to know what car it is, its a citroen saxo vtr, and the engine i wanna put in is a peugeot 106 rallye. Theyre both 8v so the same shape and size, but i've heard the pug electrics are a little different from the citroen.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

well concidering mechanics charge 30-50 euro an hour( depending on the quality of garage you go to :) ) .... you'd better hope he can get it out in two and put it back in about 2 hours more... total cost should be 200-300 ( plus tax and any expense's along the way ) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭p-nut

S.I.R wrote: »
    well concidering mechanics charge 30-50 euro an hour( depending on the quality of garage you go to :) ) .... you'd better hope he can get it out in two and put it back in about 2 hours more... total cost should be 200-300 ( plus tax and any expense's along the way ) :D

hmm, well he is sort of a friend of a friend you could say tho. do ye think it's worth the money then?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

4 hours is a bit optimistic considering it's not like for like swap. I'd allow at least that for getting the electrics working

I think that if you could get the electrics sorted before hand you mightr save a few quid... millions of pug\saxo owners around so the info shouldnt be too hard to find...

any work you can do yourself will save you time and money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭AsphaltRisin'

p-nut wrote: »
    hmm, well he is sort of a friend of a friend you could say tho. do ye think it's worth the money then?

I've a good buddy that's into them auld peugeots and that lark... he's often said that the general word seems to be "saxo conversion good", apparently they're more tunable... so i suppose fire away if you can afford it.

• Advertisement

wouldn't a 16v conversion make more sense?

it would but theres many little niggally things that my prevent it... also a 16v costs a good bit more

surely if the OP hankers after a bit of power, it would be worth the effort now, surely uprating the 8v will cost a bit anyway?

unless he's getting the new engine for nothing and his existing one's knackered?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

theres no way they'll do a swap in 4 hours, concidering the wiring differences it coud be 1-2 days to fit everything and then they have to run it for a while to make sure everything is ok, cant just hand it back to you without testing it.,

Didnt want to do the 16v conversion as i would need new engine mounts, and a bigger radiator and cooling system.

The pug 106 rallye engine is a much better 8v than the saxo vtr 8v, 100bhp and revs happily to 7250-7500rpm:D

It's pretty much exactly the same as the 1.4 8v i have, just the wiring that will be different. Everything else should be a direct fit.

• Advertisement

indeed. would be a cool weekend job to do :D

forgot to mention the problem of insurance on a 16v aswel, i cant even get a quote on one, but the quotes i got for the rallye are only a hundred or so more than my 1.4:D

will the fact that it's an engine swap and not a 106 Rallye bump up your insurance more?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    will the fact that it's an engine swap and not a 106 Rallye bump up your insurance more?

im sure it will alright, but id say i would be able to get a quote on it at least, whereas with a 16v i have no chance:(

• Registered Users Posts: 38 the muffin man

There's the issue of taking a completely different wiring loom from one engine & trying to splice it into another one's loom (i.e. you're trying to control a Pug engine with a Saxo loom as well as the other associated bits & pieces) so I'll say good luck to you. Wouldn't be bothered with that myself because unless you've got a lot of time & money to burn or else someone who's done it before to show you what needs to be done you're getting yourself into a pretty big job.

Fair dues for wanting to undertake the task though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

NiSmO wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

it could go in if you REALLY wanted it, but i'm sure new engine mounts would have to be fabricated especially for it. But this would be too heavy anyway and just ruin the handling of the car, what it is most famous for. AFAIK, the best suited engine for a saxo/106 is the 1.6 16v engine as it's a perfect compromise between power and handling(weight):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Piers14

Hi, Just came across this post.. Do you mind me asking if you got the engine fitted?.. I'm thinking of fitting a '01 on VTR 8v engine to a 106 as its the 98bhp engine..

Piers14 wrote: »
    Hi, Just came across this post.. Do you mind me asking if you got the engine fitted?.. I'm thinking of fitting a '01 on VTR 8v engine to a 106 as its the 98bhp engine..

na it seemed to be too much hassle for someone thats not a mecanic. i came to the conclusion that it would be cheaper to just buy a faster car;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Piers14

Do you have the engine still?

• Advertisement

nope never bought it in the first place, wanted to make sure i could do it before i bought it.

i could easily put ye in contact with someone if yer lookin for a vtr engine tho...

hit me with a pm sure

Advertisement