Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mobile Broadband on your phone - Who is best?

• 13-10-2007 9:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭

I'm aware that there's lots of threads about mobile broadband on boards.ie, however, I'm looking for info and comments about mobile broadband/internet access on your phone with regard to ALL OPERATORS.
    Here's why:
    I've been thinking of buying a Nokia e65 contract phone from the 3 network in December when my Meteor contract runs out. I like the Nokia e65 and "3" offer the X series which is more than just internet access on your phone (Skype, Mobile Mail and all sorts of things).
    Having had lots of problems with my "3" broadband modem (see 3 USB BROADBAND 3.6meg-THE PROBLEMS on boards.ie), I'm very reluctant to take out another contract with 3 and there seem to have been problems with their X Series service as well.
    Vodafone offer 3G mobile broadband service, but it appears to be quite expensive and I don't know what the quality of their service is like. And does their 3G service only give you broadband speeds in cities and towns like their modem?
    As to O2, well, I personally can't use it as I have no O2 coverage where I live.
    And then there's talk about Meteor going into 3G soon. They told me it's going to be in the spring, but then someone on boards.ie said it might be earlier?
    Lots of questions, so please give me some feedback!:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

O2 ruled out as you don't have coverage.
    Meteor ruled out as they don't do 3G.

I would say to currently avoid 3 based on the ongoing problems they're having with their services.

That leaves you with Vodafone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I'm thinking of leaving Meteor because I don't think they are taking 3G seriously at all.

They are owned by eircom after all so they have a conflict of interest in offering mobile broadband products as it frees people from paying expensive line rental so I don't think they have any interest in having a quality 3G service that might threaten their landline market for people that just want something faster enough to browse the web or download email.

3 were in the best position to gain market share if they offered a quality service because of their extensive service but have managed to completely cripple their name in the country after only launching their Mobile BB product a couple of months ago 36_2_68.gif

You won't get Vodafone 3G coverage outside of towns I don't think. The coverage maps are on their website. Still I'm sure they are working on it and they are actually capable of providing the service they say they do so I'd go with them in a second to avoid 3 and Meteor's data coverage/rates.

Have you checked both 2G and 3G coverage in your area with O2 or just 2G? Worth borrowing a 3G phone or checking with their customer care (1909) to see.

As for Vodafone, give their care a call (1907) and see if they'll check coverage for you too. I assume they have a cooling off period of their services like everyone else ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Lunabu

Some interesting points you made:
    With regard to Meteor, it's gonna be wait and see, I reckon. You could be right about the Eircom broadband/3G conflict.
    As to Vodafone, I know what their coverage is like with their modem. It gives me barely above dial-up speeds. So I would assume that their 3G coverage is the same, i.e. not usuable for me at home.
    As to O2, I only know that I have no O2 coverage here at home, so I wouldn't think there'd be 3G, but I can check.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭dave878

brim4brim wrote: »

3 were in the best position to gain market share if they offered a quality service because of their extensive service but have managed to completely cripple their name in the country after only launching their Mobile BB product a couple of months ago 36_2_68.gif

i could not have put it better myself

steer well clear.................the're cowboys Ted.........they're a bunch of cowboys :D

• Advertisement

Lunabu wrote: »
    With regard to Meteor, it's gonna be wait and see, I reckon. You could be right about the Eircom broadband/3G conflict.
    As to Vodafone, I know what their coverage is like with their modem. It gives me barely above dial-up speeds. So I would assume that their 3G coverage is the same, i.e. not usuable for me at home.
    As to O2, I only know that I have no O2 coverage here at home, so I wouldn't think there'd be 3G, but I can check.

You can check if a mast has 3G from O2 online at:
    http://www.askcomreg.ie/mobile/site_viewer.asp

However, I'm not sure if they are competent enough to keep that up to date. If it is 3G on that then it is 3G enabled. Otherwise you'll have to ring them.

One of the guys in work has O2 modem and is pretty happy with it but he only uses it towns and just outside Maynooth, not down the country.

Vodafone are your best bet IMO.

My parents have 3 and all I can say, its heart breaking to know they are trapped with such poor service :( I post regularly in the 3 threads to try to stop people getting it and in the hope of finding out service has improved as I was the only who found out my parents where in the coverage area so I feel responsible for inflicting the disease that is the 3 broadband product on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

you would be better off with a 20 yr old 56k modem on dial up than going to three.

try satellite broadband? permanet or something do it in the sticks here in kerry.

unlike 3 webpages load and you can actually do meaningful things with it i heard.

legs11 wrote: »
    try satellite broadband? permanet or something do it in the sticks here in kerry.

unlike 3 webpages load and you can actually do meaningful things with it i heard.
    Off topic I know, but do they still have outages? I had Permanet when I lived in Kerry and while they were grand most of the time there were quite a few outages, some of them significant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

i dont know lad, but they could not possibly have been worse than 3

Just checked the O2 map; it's not very detailed but it looks like we're just outside both of the O2 broadband areas (the "at home" and the "on the move" one.) Can check with them directly, but, like I said, I have no O2 reception in the house.
    And with Vodafone I know for a fact that I don't have broadband connection cos they only have it in cities and towns and I've tried out their modem.
    So I seem to be knackered unless I want to use the unreliable "3".:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Well I've been talking about Three here since August. I'm using X-Series Gold now as my phone addon without any issues. I suspect the geography may be important here. I'm in Glasnevin in Dublin. I'm not much for believing the coverage maps myself. I think if at all possible you should try and find people who are actively using the service in your area and get their experience.

In terms of cost, Three are still way ahead in terms of their data offerings - maybe a little too much so - I personally would pay more happily if it meant better support service and infrastructure. In any case, I do hope eventually it's going to force the other providers to rethink their offerings.

In the long term, service offerings that are essentially walled gardens are uncompetitive and really shouldn't be tolerated by the regulatory bodies or consumers. I'm patiently waiting for someone to come after one particular provider here for their cosying up with one social networking site at the expense of the others.

Hi Bluefrog, tnx for your comments. Which phone are you using? And could you please tell me a bit more about the X series services you are using? I've read up on them on the 3 website, but don't know anybody who uses X series. (I went to the Carphone Warehouse shop in Ennis on Friday and the guy in the shop told me that the X series wasn't out in Ireland yet. I knew he was talking through his arse! LOL)
    I've been thinking of X series silver as an add on if I change my contract to 3 but have many doubts about 3's services.
    Oh, with regard to these add ons: can you choose them on a monthly basis or do you have to commit yourself for longer?

Hey, anybody out there who uses the X series in Clare, particularly outside Ennis? Let me know pretty please:)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I don't see why there would be a conflict between Meteor 3G and eircom BB. It's all going into the same pockets, as you've more or less said. Besides, mobile broadband is in no position, currently, to replace high bandwidth users or people who wish to play games online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

I keep saying it (and at the expense of sounding like a spy!!!),:rolleyes: yes three have issues with their modem but there phone network is up to scratch. I have an e65 on three with mobile broadband on it and it's great (especially as it's on bill as you won't have to worry about age verification) and any issues I have ever had the store staff have always fixed on the spot.:)

Walkman wrote: »
    I keep saying it (and at the expense of sounding like a spy!!!),:rolleyes: yes three have issues with their modem but there phone network is up to scratch. I have an e65 on three with mobile broadband on it and it's great (especially as it's on bill as you won't have to worry about age verification) and any issues I have ever had the store staff have always fixed on the spot.:)

Okay I just looked at your posting history because of that at the expensive of sounding like a spy remark.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=17993

Every single post you make is about 3! WTH, you are obsessed with this company if you don't work for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

I wanted to switch from Mobile Broadband to X-Series Gold, I use a Nokia E61, the phone I got from 3 is a Moto V3XX.

They said that I couldn't switch cos my handset was a Moto V3XX, I then said that I had a Nokia E65 (small lie) then they asked if it was a Three branded one and then I said it was unlocked

So do I have to tell them that I have a Three branded E65 so I can change to X-Series Gold? I will try again tomorrow, will tell them 'I bought an E65 on prepay and want to use it with my Bill pay SIM'

Is this what other switchers have done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

If 3 came with a VHI plan for increased blood pressure or possible future herna operations due to their thick as a brick wall customer support I would recommend their data plan unreservedly... but they don't so I won't.
    When it works (broadband) its great and it is certainly the most realistically priced out there but, when you sign up with a network, you need to be able to put your faith (and consequently your data) in that company. You need to know it WILL work 99 times out of 100. You need to be able to rely on it.
    I'm with three becasue they are by far the cheapest, and, on paper have great offerings which should put them head and shoulders above the rest but the amount of negative comments are spiralling out of control and unless that disapates through them firming up their services they are cutting off a vital segment of a growing trend (data/internet usage on a mobile) which is becoming common place for the average joe and will only escalate when the "Jesus Christ whats all the fuss about" iphone comes out on an irish network...
    As someone once said, (and I'm making this up...)

"If you build it they will come. If you build and screw it up they will come and wreck it..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

I just rang Three again about moving from Mobile Broadband Unlimitied to X-Series, they said its only possible to do this to a Three branded E65, I said I had just bought an Nokia E65 Prepay (little white lie), they said their system was being upgraded today and that they will be able to do the switch over for me tomorrow but they want an IMEI for this.
    I presume they can get my model number from my IMEI, Nokia are able to do this on Club Nokia/MyNokia.

Has anyone else tried this (with an non-three X-series phone)?

This is really interesting. Keep 'em coming!:)
    Btw, I do think they were doing some kind of maintenance cos I wasn't able to get onto the internet on my 3 Pay as you Go handset.

I'm using the O2 DCFLAT plan (€48.40 per month - 2 gigs per month) at the moment in my N95 and it's pretty much rock solid, more than I can say for the 3 broadband SIM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

ciaranfo wrote: »
    Meteor ruled out as they don't do 3G.
    brim4brim wrote: »
    I'm thinking of leaving Meteor because I don't think they are taking 3G seriously at all.
    Lunabu wrote: »

Don't worry it's on the way ;) Think xmas, don't know a whole lot myself but that's insider info from a friend who works in Meteor.

Asked in Carphone Warehouse in Ennis today re Meteor and 3G and she said there was nothing in the pipeline as yet (mind you, they never seem to know anything in that particular branch). Then I asked in the Meteor shop and they said that it should happen shortly after Christmas.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

well considering meteor did a major upgrade over last xmas fixing many problems with mms and allowing ppl send mms up to 300kb then they will probably wait till that "quiet time" again this year if they are upgrading to 3g so as to be as unintrusive as possible to the service! but overall their service is very good but their customer care have gotten bit lazy since eircom takeover but that is most likely down to policy and not the people behind the phones!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Lunabu wrote:
    Hi Bluefrog, tnx for your comments. Which phone are you using? And could you please tell me a bit more about the X series services you are using? I've read up on them on the 3 website, but don't know anybody who uses X series. (I went to the Carphone Warehouse shop in Ennis on Friday and the guy in the shop told me that the X series wasn't out in Ireland yet. I knew he was talking through his arse! LOL)
    I've been thinking of X series silver as an add on if I change my contract to 3 but have many doubts about 3's services.
    Oh, with regard to these add ons: can you choose them on a monthly basis or do you have to commit yourself for longer?

Hey, anybody out there who uses the X series in Clare, particularly outside Ennis? Let me know pretty please:)!

I've used both an N73 from Three and an unlocked N80 with X-Series Gold.
    I've used all the services at this stage having just got myself a Slingbox over the weekend.
    Skype - works if you're in 3G area only. Only does voice, no text.
    Orb - works fine as long as you use the Three Ireland client on your computer - the generic one from orb.com itself seems to have problems.
    Sling - Works fine in a 3G area with Sling's own Symbian client but not with Three's though the viewing area on the n80 screen is pretty tiny for some reason. When I sent to buy the Slingbox, the assistant at the Three store in Henry street told me that they didn't stock them which was pretty surprising and couldn't recommend where to get one - actually he carried himself with an air of total disinterest and if I had had more time I would have made a complaint about him but that's another matter. Anyway, finally found one in Dixons in Jervis street - €140. Haven't been on to Three yet so the fact that their client doesn't like me is possibly something they need to sort. Will try using it on the N73 first and see if that fixes it - worked for Orb. The Symbian client is also pretty limited in that you can't choose your connection type - on my N80 I would sometimes like to use wi-fi to stream rather than 3G and that doesn't seem possible at the moment - Sling, get your act together for Symbian users before you try charging for the software!
    MSN - Works fine in 3G areas - not so fine anywhere else and the client is a very stripped down version of the official MS Symbian one.
    Web broswisng is fine and I haven't come accross any sites that are blocked - even the infamous tinytube.net seems to display and stream fine now.
    Their party streams such as those from the BBC also stream fine.

I now seem to have unencumbered access for using 3rd party apps. I'm not sure if this was because I made such a fuss during the summer both here on boards and elsewhere online with them about this or not.

Best thing to do Lu is give it all a test locally.

Finally, not sure about whether you can choose the X-Series on a monthly basis or not to be honest but as with any contract you would have a cooling off period after signing and if you don't get the services described in a meaningful way I think they'd be hard pressed legally to lock you in it.

Bluefrog, tnx for this very detailed info. Big thumbs up!
    Still haven't heard from any Clare users of the X series, so I reckon they either don't use boards.ie or there are none. LOL. (Wouldn't surprise me!)
    I'll see how things pan out between now and the middle of December when my Meteor contract runs out, but I won't be asking in the Carphone Warehouse Ennis for any more info regarding 3. There's a 3 shop in Limerick, maybe they can tell me about the X series.
    Nearly bought an e65 on ebay, but then I thought it might be better to buy it from 3 as I might have problems with certain services if it's not a 3 phone (mind you, Bluefrog, you've been using an unlocked phone?):confused:

ciaranfo wrote: »
    I'm using the O2 DCFLAT plan (€48.40 per month - 2 gigs per month) at the moment in my N95 and it's pretty much rock solid, more than I can say for the 3 broadband SIM.
    Well, that's a good bit more than I'd want to spend to be honest with you, but it's great to hear that it's working so well for you.
    After checking out the O2 maps online, I went into the O2 shop in Ennis a couple of days ago, and they confirmed that I'm just outside the O2 broadband area, so no use for phone, mobile broadband or O2 modem.

Advertisement