Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent ban for 2 Offenses?

Options
  • 13-10-2007 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭

I was threatened with this on the broadband forums. Not to mention being banned for two weeks when I DESPERATELY needed a broadband solution(and was also a prime contributor to the 3 fiasco on that subforum).

Am I the only one that realise how utterly ****ing insane this is? And the mods, of course, themselves, are allowed get away with murder. Nobody's who's "happy" to dish out a ban should be a moderator to begin with. Again, am I the only one who realises this obvious truth?

It's just wrong on so many levels. This place is little more than a safehaven for the control freak. If I prove I have a completely black and white world view; poor judgement, and only focus on when people are insulting other mods(Deservedly) or disagreeing with me, can I be a mod too?

Boards.ie without a doubt one of the strictest boards I've EVER encountered online. There are stricter ones but that's no excuse. Do ye really think being strict benefits the members? I should be allowed to talk back to the mods if I think they're being asshats. You're removing any level of accountability they have, which ALWAYS leads to corruption. When the **** did the Irish become such nazis?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Rozie wrote: »
    Do ye really think being strict benefits the members?

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Depends what the offenses are I would say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

RuggieBear wrote: »
    yes

Then how come many newsgroups manage to flourish with no moderation whatsoever? And many forums are considerably less strict than this? Would you to back up your reasoning, or are you as completely incompetent as the rest of the mods seem to be?

Strictness doesn't get rid of trolls. The whole point of a troll is that they bend the rules. Only a logical system, not a rule based one deals with trolls, and is also a lot fairer on genuinely upset members.

Plus I've been VERY good recently. This isn't a nice way to encourage good behaviour.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

In before lolcats and various attempts by people to actually have a debate.

Crucifix wrote: »
    Depends what the offenses are I would say.

Well, yeah, it does depend on context. But this is for ANY offense. The first was for telling a mod to "**** off, honestly", as you would just about anyone who's being a bit annoying down the pub.

But the godly mods are above that. There shouldn't be a "moderator" abuse any more than there is a member abuse. I honestly do get the feeling they'd look for reasons, no matter what. They feel if they aren't banning people, they aren't doing their job. They're morons.

• Advertisement

CuLT wrote: »
    In before lolcats and various attempts by people to actually have a debate.

lolcats just proves what **** mods some of you are, honestly. You can't even keep the ****ing feedback forum clean. There's just no pleasure in getting all authoritarian with someone posting cat pics.

I know, it's a travesty.

I know, it's a travesty.

Oh, what a professional attitude you have.

Gadzooks! Someone has just pointed out a fatal flaw in our integrity as a moderating community. I know, let's make light of that problem! A winner in every situation!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

I grind my teeth. It's frustrating so, but I know it'd be a waste of time to respond.

Admins, I feel sorry for you.

Oh, what a professional attitude you have.

Gadzooks! Someone has just pointed out a fatal flaw in our integrity as a moderating community. I know, let's make light of that problem! A winner in every situation!
    Myself and many other staff are truly distressed by the mental torture wrought unto your good person by moderators such as "Cabaal" (really, what sort of a name is that anyway? Why the very word means clique!), but we are endeavouring to resolve this internally.

There are massive power struggles going on within the depths of our professional boards.ie lives, if the shareholders found out we'd be in serious trouble so please don't tell them we are fighting on your behalf and that of the silent millions of oppressed users.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055164903

You posted a thread in broadband to moan about how much you hate the country and how depressed and lonley you are :confused: . - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=127

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Waheeeeeeeeeey Rozie Feedback.

*gets the popcorn and settles down. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Plus I've been VERY good recently. This isn't a nice way to encourage good behaviour.
    Good behaviour is not something that we have to encourage, it is something that everyone should be showing.
    When the **** did the Irish become such nazis?
    Oh shut up.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Plus I've been VERY good recently.
    So you openly admit that you havent been very good in the past?

Just because you dont get your way you feel the urge to condemn anyone and everyone who gives their time voluntarily to ensure the vast majority of people enjoy themselves here.

Why dont you just start your own discussion forum and do whatever the hell you want on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

First of all, link to the thread in question. ->
    I was threatened with this on the broadband forums. Not to mention being banned for two weeks when I DESPERATELY needed a broadband solution(and was also a prime contributor to the 3 fiasco on that subforum).

Maybe you should have considered which was more important to you then: shouting your mouth off at someone cleaning up a thread or getting assistance with your desperately urgent broadband problem.
    <insert generic rozie rant about all mods being powermad nazis>

.. Uh-huh..

If you want a cookie for every time you don't break the rules perhaps you'd feel more comfortable in pre-school rather than university? Seriously, the last time I heard someone come out with a line like that they still had baby teeth. Grow up.
    Well, yeah, it does depend on context. But this is for ANY offense. The first was for telling a mod to "**** off, honestly", as you would just about anyone who's being a bit annoying down the pub.

If you came up to me in the pub and made me listen to ten minutes of how your life is so **** (which is what you did in the thread on the broadband forum as we pretty much have to read each post) and then ask me for an opinion on which broadband service to go for I'd probably be too stunned to reply, never mind say anything else. If you want help with broadband, post in the broadband forum about your broadband issue. If you want to discuss the ins and outs of life in Ireland, try after hours or humanities. That should be pretty clear to anyone here.
    But the godly mods are above that. There shouldn't be a "moderator" abuse any more than there is a member abuse. I honestly do get the feeling they'd look for reasons, no matter what. They feel if they aren't banning people, they aren't doing their job. They're morons.

By banning you we've allowed the rest of the broadband forum's community to carry on without having to listen to you. The system works!

You're not doing your job of posting at the intelligence level of someone over the age of 5. You're a moron. SO WHAT IF I KICKED YOU? IF I DON'T GET MY POCKET MONEY NOW I'M GOING TO HOLD MY BREATH UNTIL I DIE. Wah wah wah.

Ibid wrote: »
    I grind my teeth. It's frustrating so, but I know it'd be a waste of time to respond.

Admins, I feel sorry for you.

You are one twisted person.

You feel sorry for the admins who are in complete and utter control of the situation and blatantly enjoy this fact; and not the person trying to defend themselves with no power at all?
    Myself and many other staff are truly distressed by the mental torture

Oh, you can **** off too. Once again you prove that you're a complete muppet who can only mock someone and don't have the intelligence to debate an issue seriously. Do you think it makes you look clever? Well, given the intelligence of your general audience, it probably does...

You're trying to cover up the fact that someone did something wrong with this DISTRESSED crap. They still did something wrong, and so did you.
    D.T. Jesus wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055164903

You posted a thread in broadband to moan about how much you hate the country and how depressed and lonley you are :confused: . - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=127

I posted a story on my ****ty experience with broadband in Ireland, and asked for a solution to this problem, if there was some new package I hadn't heard of.
    Gordon wrote: »
    Good behaviour is not something that we have to encourage, it is something that everyone should be showing.

Unfortunately, you don't measure "Good behaviour" by a logical or utilitarian standard but by a bunch of rules you pull out of your ass.

It equally cracks me up and disturbs me when mods think that their simplistic, black and white rules are a genuine measure for good behaviour.

For instance, I have very bad aspergers and difficulty in frustration/general loss of control in online arguments is one of the ways in which in manifests itself. I've known others with AS that get themselves banned. People with AS, are, in general, unable to follow the same social cues and rules as everyone else, so are often more likely to get banned.

So why am I, even after relating this fact to you, still held to the same standard as everyone else? How is that fair? You can't say "We're not banning you for AS, others with AS are not banned", because that's failing to take into account that it's a behavioural thing, and that it's a spectrum, it doesn't have one specific symptom. You are, whether you realise it or not, discriminating against me not just based on my views, but based on my own difficulty in communicating despite my better grasp of logic.

But your ****ty rule-based system can't take that into account, either way. You can't comprehend the idea of dealing with situations on an individual basis. It's nothing to do with time, just how good your moderation staff is.
    Oh shut up.

Fabulous reasoning there.

And also - everyone's getting away from the point of the thread(which is no doubt intended, since they know they can't come up with a good answer) -

A permanent ban for two offenses, any two offenses is absolutely unforgivably ridiculous.

i'd have banned you permanently for telling me to **** off. one offence.

besides there is absolutely no point arguing with you. You don't listen to anyone or take any genuine advice on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

For instance, I have very bad aspergers and difficulty in frustration/general loss of control in online arguments is one of the ways in which in manifests itself. I've known others with AS that get themselves banned. People with AS, are, in general, unable to follow the same social cues and rules as everyone else, so are often more likely to get banned.

So why am I, even after relating this fact to you, still held to the same standard as everyone else? How is that fair.

You want special treatment?

A permanent ban for two offenses, any two offenses is absolutely unforgivably ridiculous.

Stop pulling facts out of your posterior orifice dude.
    Cabaal wrote: »
    Rozie banned from broadband for two weeks for abuse against a mod, thread locked
    Rozie, are you saying that you should get special treatment because you have aspergers?

• Advertisement

TheGooner wrote: »
    You want special treatment?

I love this. I love how actually taking into account someone's situation becomes "Special treatment".

I want the mods to mod with their heads, and not their dicks.
    i'd have banned you permanently for telling me to **** off.

Then you're a corrupt piece of **** who can't handle any level of notable confronation. Your twisted, ass-brained ethics don't justify the action I'm complaining about.
    besides there is absolutely no point arguing with you. You don't listen to anyone or take any genuine advice on board.

I don't listen to anyone because they never back their statements with a shread on logic. I don't "set out" to do that, and if I "seem" that way, again, it's an AS thing, but I don't think I do. Why should I take advice from people who tend to only mock my posts and never listen to anything *I* have to say?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

If I prove I have a completely black and white world view; poor judgement...

If? You have proved that you have a completely black and white world view and poor judgment. And you whine incessantly.
    Why are you still using this forum when you have frequently found that it is too strict and Nazi-like (your own words) for your uniquely sensitive personality? It's like bashing your head against a brick wall. It hurts each time and yet you never learn not to do it...

Gordon wrote: »
    Stop pulling facts out of your posterior orifice dude.

Dear Rozie,

You have received an infraction at boards.ie.

Reason: Insulted Other Member(s)
    You've been banned for the broadband forum for 2 weeks due to abuse against a mod, this ban is not open to discussion.

Further abuse will result in a permanent ban

Have a nice day
    Cabaal

PS: PM me in two weeks time if you want to be unbanned,

This infraction is worth 1 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

"Abuse" can be anything that mod decides on, and has been in the past.
    Rozie, are you saying that you should get special treatment because you have aspergers?

Read the above post. Though it makes me very angry that you even put it like that. It is a behavioural issue which makes communication very difficult and frustating for me. You just ignore that and see it as a random disability that I'm looking for special treatment for.

This is exactly why you people piss me off. You never look at anything laterally.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

tbh I'm surprised you havent been perma SITE banned for the amount of people you tell to **** off. Seriously, I thought this site had some kind of rules? or can I just go around and tell people to **** off too if I like it.. hey lets try that idea shall we :/

my lack of reasoning must be my autism...

or is it my dyslexia....

or is it my depression....

or is it the result of too many blows to the head playing rugby....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I agree, Moriarty is just being a bollix. What you need to do is send him lots of private messages and threaten to kick the **** out of him. It always works a charm.

*sits back and continues to stir my the ****e with me cock*

If? You have proved that you have a completely black and white world view and poor judgment. And you whine incessantly.

Where? Please quote where I have demonstrated this.

Doing things by clear cut rules instead of logically analysing each situation like I'm encouraging is an example of "black and white" thinking. Rule is broken, rule is not. There is no way in hell I have a black and white worldview compared to this board.

Why are you still using this forum when you have frequently found that it is too strict and Nazi-like (your own words) for your uniquely sensitive personality?

Because there isn't an alternative. "The" Broadband forum is here. There is a monopoly. This is why the PRIVATE PROPERTY argument is bull****. If you have a monopoly, you should show some responsibility. People are sheepish and don't tell to join new forums just for the sake of it.

I wouldn't call my personality "uniquely" sensitive given that you get several complaints a week.

I love this. I love how actually taking into account someone's situation becomes "Special treatment".

I want the mods to mod with their heads, and not their dicks.
    Special treatment means that one receives treatment different to the normal treatment given to others. Mods on boards will always try to treat all users equally. If this is not the case then you should take your problem here or to the helpdesk as you did. In this case, I believe that you received proper treatment.

I can't recall mods here modding with their dicks. Can you please point to one case where a mod has modded with their dick?
    Then you're a corrupt piece of **** who can't handle any level of notable confronation. Your twisted, ass-brained ethics don't justify the action I'm complaining about.
    Insulting people isn't nice. You have a habit of insulting people.
    I don't listen to anyone because they never back their statements with a shread on logic. I don't "set out" to do that, and if I "seem" that way, again, it's an AS thing, but I don't think I do.
    You don't listen to anyone? You should learn to listen, it will extend your stay on boards.
    Why should I take advice from people who tend to only mock my posts and never listen to anything *I* have to say?
    How can you take advice from people when you aren't listening to them?

RuggieBear wrote: »
    my lack of reasoning must be my autism...

or is it my dyslexia....

or is it my depression....

or is it the result of too many blows to the head playing rugby....

Aspergers actually DOES cause behaviour like I'm describing, if you google a list of symptoms. Your writing it off as an excuse is pathetic, and doesn't disprove the point I was trying to make by using that, that clear cut rules don't work, either way.

You will never accept this. You have no will to understand other people's situations, and the hell I go through on forums like this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Gordon wrote:
    No, she wants special treatment because she's **** with other people and thinks she's better than everyone.

But then, thats the same thing, isn't it...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement