Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ugliest Building in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

markpb wrote: »
    Is it a bit of a co-incidence that most of the buildings mentioned here have some tie to govenment bodies? ;)

Hawkins house, An Post on Fleet/Townsend Street, DB HQ on O'Connell St, Revenue on Georges St, Telecom House on O'Connell St/Cathal Brugha St. Is that thing beside Dublin Castle a public building?

Its no coincidence - think of the times that were in it when those leases were entered into:rolleyes:

cast_iron wrote: »
    Easily one of the biggest scandals of modern planning.

Wasn't it developed by the City Council?

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the Central Bank so far not to mention the awful 'fencing' recently added presumably to stop the skateboarders having some fun?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

The new Irish Times office on Tara/Townshend Street... it assaults my senses...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

dub45 wrote: »
    Wasn't it developed by the City Council?

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the Central Bank so far not to mention the awful 'fencing' recently added presumably to stop the skateboarders having some fun?

I actually quite like the Central Bank. OK it could be better but it's far from the worst building I've seen in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Punchbowl

Rathfarnham Credit Union.. without a doubt..

Love Busaras.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

Mairt wrote: »
    How about that new building on Dame St beside Dublin Castle. the glass yoke?.

Yeah as a few people have said now, its awful looking. It looks like it coming to the end of its shelf life rather than the start of it. The person who commissioned that design should be shot. It boils my blood to have something that bad right beside the graceful looking Dublin Castle and slap bang in the middle of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

markpb wrote: »
    Is that thing beside Dublin Castle a public building?
    Yes, Dublin City Council granted themselves permission for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cruibin

cast_iron wrote: »
    Yes, Dublin City Council granted themselves permission for it.

And it was designed by a firm of architects in Spain..... they dont have to live with it. It looks dirty already and the coloured strip lights in the window frames make it look like a failed attempt at a yuppie bordello!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

clown bag wrote: »
    Phibsborough shopping centre

Aye, that and the Northside Shopping Centre (although it's growing on me now that i got to Dhulaigh :()

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

boneless wrote: »
    The new Irish Times office on Tara/Townshend Street... it assaults my senses...

That's nowhere near as bad as Hawkins House!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I'll just say over 50% of Apartment complexes they're coming up with these days. I personally don't think this continuing influx of apartments is great, but at least make them look somewhat attrative, as most I see do anything but.

cruibin wrote: »
    And it was designed by a firm of architects in Spain..... they dont have to live with it. It looks dirty already and the coloured strip lights in the window frames make it look like a failed attempt at a yuppie bordello!

I agree totally - its amazing already the concrete space around it is as filthy as if it had been there for a hundred years!! We never seem to wash the streets properly (if ever!!!) I have been in Spain a good few times in recent years in various cities and one of the things I am constantly impressed with is that all the City streets seem to be washed every night! Now their water problems must be worse than ours?............

By the way the wire barriers in front of that awful looking stair case hardly help either. I walked by it today and the morning was drearyish and there were a few people sitting o those awful seats and it looked like nothing more than a bad set for a Beckett play.

And what about the mess they made of Wolf Tone 'park'?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

I agree totally - its amazing already the concrete space around it is as filthy as if it had been there for a hundred years!! We never seem to wash the streets properly (if ever!!!) I have been in Spain a good few times in recent years in various cities and one of the things I am constantly impressed with is that all the City streets seem to be washed every night!
    The concrete area is cleaned every few months, not half enough though; it gets absolutely filthy.
    By the way the wire barriers in front of that awful looking stair case hardly help either. I walked by it today and the morning was drearyish and there were a few people sitting o those awful seats and it looked like nothing more than a bad set for a Beckett play.
    That temporary fencing seems to be far from temporary. It's been there since the building work has stopped. God only knows why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Rhyme wrote: »
    Aye, that and the Northside Shopping Centre (although it's growing on me now that i got to Dhulaigh :()

You in the Dhulaigh full of secondary scummers or the arts dhulaigh up the road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Has to be the building on Westmoreland St where EBS used to be. The illuminous sign on the side of it used to wreck my head :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Ibid wrote: »
    That's nowhere near as bad as Hawkins House!!

Agreed, but that at least is being pulled down!! What will they replace it with though?:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Hawkins house is surely the biggest crime inflicted on Dublin - Liberty hall - meh at least it has a certain 60's dated charm. Both due to be demolished - thank christ! But Hawkins house, ffs, surley the people who built it were high on something - id like some of it please.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

clown bag wrote: »
    You in the Dhulaigh full of secondary scummers or the arts dhulaigh up the road?

Coolock campus doing art & design, not a secondary scummer though, just a college drop out getting back 'in the system'. :(

/offtopic

Strolling through the Trinity College campus brings up some ugly buildings too, can't put a name to most of them (they're off the beaten track though, Luce Hall etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

another vote for Hawkins House

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭diarmuidh

Hawkins st is horrible...

Dublin is VERY dirty!! Some streets are not cleaned on a monthly basis it seems let alone cleaned daily!!

We get the public services we pay for! ie sh**e ones in general!

D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

diarmuidh wrote: »
    Dublin is VERY dirty!! Some streets are not cleaned on a monthly basis it seems let alone cleaned daily!!
    What has that got to do with ugly buildings unless, of course, someone has discovered that cleaner streets beautifies buildings! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

In the new estate out by the airport,northwood i think it's called, basically where the crown plaza hotel is,there is a building, not sure if it's office or apartment, clad in aluminium, half of it looks like a sinking ship,going under,backwards.The first time I saw I nearly crashed my car. It must be the most stupid looking building ever built. I urge everyone to go and have a look,and laugh hysterically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Rhyme wrote: »
    Coolock campus doing art & design, not a secondary scummer though, just a college drop out getting back 'in the system'. :(
    ahh, I only ask because I was in the raheny campus for 3 years. The odd time I ventured down to Coolock campus it was overrun with secondry scummers. Hard to resist dishing out some corporal punishment. Better choice of pubs too, Station house > whatever name that pub on northside is called this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

theres a college on north strand that is spectacularly ugly - you can see it from the Dart - think it may be Marino College's Connolly House building.

Another few that come to mind:

-the Marks and Spencer shop on Mary Street/Liffey Street,

-Sean McDermott Street swimming pool,

-the DART station on Amiens Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Scoobydoobydoo

Liberty Hall, yuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

My list - in order of worst first!

1. Hawkins house.
    2. Central bank on dame street - ugly building in its own right but made worse because it is totally out of character. Could be a contentious one this as some people actually like this building.
    3. That crappy office block on corner of lesson street and earlsfort terrace - mainly disguised in recent years by newer buildings on earlsfort terrace.
    4. Corpo bunkers on woodquay.
    5. New Dundrum town centre - Jesus wept!
    6. Central park blocks beside south county biz park in Leopardstown.

A lot of bad, bland, ugly etc buildings can be often down to egotism/meglomania (e.g - Sam Stephenson), bad planning, poor finishing and limited regular maintenance.

Anyone ever read "The destruction of dublin"? Some of the things those egotiscal architechs and planners wanted to do would have far outshone any of the above in crappiness stakes.

dogmatix wrote: »
    Anyone ever read "The destruction of dublin"? Some of the things those egotiscal architechs and planners wanted to do would have far outshone any of the above in crappiness stakes.
    But it's a viscious circle. I'm sure some significant buildings were demolished to make way for some of those buildings that people now want to keep. If we had An Taisce etc. 200 years ago, most of the present listed buildings wouldn't have been built in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I love the central bank, one of the best buildings in Dublin imo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

loyatemu wrote: »
    theres a college on north strand that is spectacularly ugly - you can see it from the Dart - think it may be Marino College's Connolly House building.

Marino College are in it now, but for many it will always be North Strand Tech. I worked in it for 9 years - hideous building - windows either behaved like guillotines or wouldn't shut at all, the roof and all 'joins' leaked constantly and it was riddled with asbestos which had to be removed in the 80s. It was originally supposed to be a pair of towers - how fabulous that would have been (not).

Advertisement