Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Altenative Lifestyles , in the the N.W. ?

Options
  • 13-10-2007 10:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

Following on frorm another thread, I feel that a new thread is needed and those who have an alternative legal way of living should be given the opportunity to highlight thier aims and aspirations.

If you are living in the North-West in a manner outside the norm ?..

Maybe, you might consider sharing ?..

P. :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

but paddy this is a discussion forum, this thread like others, is just yourself throwing a topic out for debate.

How about you give your opinion in your opening post.

Just a thought

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

nanook wrote: »

Just a thought
    And a damn good* thought too :)

*makes a change from all those bad thoughts you you used to have :eek:

its a shame we cant ban each other, it would be anarchy

Now back to topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

but paddy this is a discussion forum, this thread like others, is just yourself throwing a topic out for debate.

Just a thought

So are you saying we can not have a debate on the North- West forum ?.

P.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Paddy20 wrote: »

That is not what nanook meant at all. For a debate you need to kick off with your own thoughts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Sounds like he's asking for your view first and then perhaps a debate will follow!?
    Before I can respond to your original post can you explain what you mean by:
    "alternative legal way of living"

Cheers

Gillie wrote: »
    Sounds like he's asking for your view first and then perhaps a debate will follow!?
    Before I can respond to your original post can you explain what you mean by:
    "alternative legal way of living"

Cheers

Ok, In my opinion" an alternative legal way of living" simply means that people have the right to choose alternatve lifestyles, as in a young couple who can not afford a mortgage from a financial institution, therefore they are forced to find an alternative way of setting up home, and if this mean's " shared ownership" of a property ETC, is this not thier right. ?.

All over Ireland we have people who are isolated simply because they may not have the right job, or credit rating, through no fault of thier own making.

Yet, there is a thriving long established 'alternative lifestyle' movement in Irelad where these people will be welcomed, without the burden of a thirty year mortgage .

Is this worthy of debate ?, personally I believe it is.

Ok, In my opinion" an alternative legal way of living" simply means that people have the right to choose alternatve lifestyles, as in a young couple who can not afford a mortgage from a financial institution, therefore they are forced to find an alternative way of setting up home, and if this mean's " shared ownership" of a property ETC, is this not thier right. ?.

All over Ireland we have people who are isolated simply because they may not have the right job, or credit rating, through no fault of thier own making.

Yet, there is a thriving long established 'alternative lifestyle' movement in Irelad where these people will be welcomed, without the burden of a thirty year mortgage .

Is this worthy of debate ?, personally I believe it is.

But paddy what is your opinion on this, you have just explained the order of conversation and not elaborated your opinion.

But paddy what is your opinion on this, you have just explained the order of conversation and not elaborated your opinion.

My opinion is that our society is structured in favour of capitalism at whatever cost, without due regard to the basic humanatarian needs of ordinary citizens, such as our constitutional right to a home ?.. without being in debt for life , and this is fundamentally wrong :(.

• Advertisement

Paddy, just a couple of thoughts on your quote.

People have not the right job, says the system or is it the person saying they have not the right job. Unfortunately we are still under the idea that all is well in our economy, with the celtic tiger alledgly alive and roaring in the face of depression but I firmly do not beleive that to be true. My opinion has always been that we are a society of swiping the rubbish out of view, someone is not in the right job, they carry the chip on their shoulder and do nothing about it but complain, why dont they quit, start another career, go back to college and make a fresh start. I know it is easier said than done but if you feel bad enough to complain about work/status then do somthing about it.

In relation to mortgages, yes house prices are at an all time high, land is going for astronomical prices, but does that mean that we can justify the stupidity of people who mortgage themselves to the hilt, have the two 05+ cars in the driveway and still have the numberous holidays every year, even though they are living way beyond their means, these are some of the people who have bad credit ratings, and I am sorry to say this, rightly so. If your mentality is live beyond your means then there is no one else to blame but you, not the society we live in, not the government who made us all believe we are in a so called economic boom, not the banks/building societies who leant us the money. The only people who are to blame are the fools who were to proud to live to what they could afford.

A home is a place where you feel secure and happy, where you can rest your head and be with the ones you love. It does not have to contain your name on the deeds, that is superficial.

I know this will come across as mean and unfair to those who have seen hard times and I really dont want that. Some people have had hard luck thrown upon them and maybe they have not been able to deal with it, for those people a second chance is what they deserve, a chance to rebuild their lives. Who decides as to whom gets that second chance, that I cant answer.

This is my opinion, like it or not, but I am willing to listen to anyone else who will discuss this with me.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

My opinion is that our society is structured in favour of capitalism at whatever cost, without due regard to the basic humanatarian needs of ordinary citizens, such as our constitutional right to a home ?.. without being in debt for life , and this is fundamentally wrong :(.

You don't have to get a mortgage, you could always rent.

Paddy I agree with your view on debt and the fact that we should not be in it, but it is a fact of life that there is always going to be debt, it is how you manage it is the characteristics of a person.

Constitutional right to a home, but whose house is it, like I have previously stated, a home does not have to have your name on the deeds.

Just a thought, does it say on the declaration of the republic, mind has gone blank for the correct title, that we are allowed the right to have a home. I don't think it does, I could be wrong, but I don't think so .

nanook,

Can we at least agree, that we now have a thread started by me, that is worthy of honest unbiased 'Debate' ?..

not until you give your opinion, then it is a debate with all persons participating.

Once again off topic. Paddy post something relating to YOUR Topic

Constitutional right to a home, but whose house is it, like I have previously stated, a home does not have to have your name on the deeds.

Just a thought, does it say on the declaration of the republic, mind has gone blank for the correct title, that we are allowed the right to have a home. I don't think it does, I could be wrong, but I don't think so .

nanook,

First of all , you are correct in stating that where someone lives does not need thier name on the deeds, but I disagee that it is thier home.

Off the top of my head, I believe that it states in the 'Constitution of Ireland' " That every citizen is entitled to a roof over thier head", !

Now do we have a debate on this thread, remember that the co-operative movement which was started in Donegal is now worldwide and rightly so, and this was and still is "An alternative lifestyle" outside which has proved to be of benefit to millions of ordinary people who do not fit in to normal 'banking criteria', and IN My Opinion this justifies my thread title?.. hopefully.

You don't have to get a mortgage, you could always rent.

Renting is certainly an acceptable'alternative' way of living in other European Countrie's, but in Ireland unfortunately the law regarding security of tenure is not the same.

nanook,

First of all , you are correct in stating that where someone lives does not need thier name on the deeds, but I disagee that it is thier home.

Off the top of my head, I believe that it states in the 'Constitution of Ireland' " That every citizen is entitled to a roof over thier head", !

Now do we have a debate on this thread, remember that the co-operative movement which was started in Donegal is now worldwide and rightly so, and this was and still is "An alternative lifestyle" outside which has proved to be of benefit to millions of ordinary people who do not fit in to normal 'banking criteria', and IN My Opinion this justifies my thread title?.. hopefully.

at last

But one thing you mentioned earlier about rights to have a roof over their head, does that go the same for the guy who owns 25 houses but cant afford the mansion he lives in.

What about the people who live with their parents, is that not a home.....

at last

But one thing you mentioned earlier about rights to have a roof over their head, does that go the same for the guy who owns 25 houses but cant afford the mansion he lives in.

What about the people who live with their parents, is that not a home.....

I: The guy who owns 25 houses but can't afford the mansion he lives in ?.. I doubt he fits under the "Right to a roof over your head " legislation. Unless maybe it was a 'Prison roof' ;).

2: People who live with their parents, is that not a home..... I think it would depend on their age and personal circumstances.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Paddy, The co operative movement is a very good example of alternative way of living that shouldnt really threaten people. Its really local people meeting a a need themselves, rather than waiting for some another third party to come in and do it for them privately or central government to spot the need. It principles of one member one vote try to keep it flat and more equal so that there arent the few ones controling and others following. Local people would have seen a gap in an area and set up a business to produce goods,(eg dairy coop) providing a service,(water co-op) etc The Credit union in Ireland is probably the best example of how successful the cooperatives can be. People saw a need for cheap credit with a social conscience for people who coudlnt afford. (credit unions should by right be assisting the local community too) There are now 3 million members in the credit union in Ireland today. Mind you not everyone would be getting involved going to meetings and in the management end of it as they would have a right to, being a member. But theres probably alot of people living a type of alternative lifestyle (certainly to cheaper credit) being members of their local credit unions which are co operative and not realising it! ;)

Re Housing: I dont think theres an actual right to a roof over your head in the constitution is there? It appears to interested in general property rights. Now I am a bit of a mupp.t with legal stuff so I may have missed it. There is however a safeguard that it aspires to protect more vulnerable members of the state. There recenetly is a move to put the right to access to affordable and decent accomodation on a statutory footing, if you see this article in the Business Post from 2006.
    http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2006/04/16/story13472.asp
    However, If you see the level of building in Leitrim and then the level that appears to have be transferd into social and affordable housing (minimum i reckon) it seems to me that more could have been done in the peak of prosperity. :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement