Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

debian has gone insane

• 13-10-2007 11:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

hello
    I thought this might be a good place to start asking questions. I have a small debian computer running on a CF card that acts as a firewall for my house, and recently, it went insane. I don't know if these problems are connected, but here are the symptoms.

1. Erratic slowness when typing in a shell. I noticed this when sshing in from work, and I thought it was network slowness, so I rebooted, waited, tried from home and it was still slow. "top" reveals nothing strange. I recently apt-got smbfs and smbclient, but even after uninstalling them, I still get the periodic pauses.

2. I finally plugged in a monitor, and to my surprise it's randomly turning on and off. It doesn't appear to do this when there's no OS running (e.g. in bios setup) so it doesn't appear to be hardware. It never did this before 4 days ago.

Anyone have any idea where I should start troubleshooting with this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

well, I took the damn thing apart and put it back together and now the monitor has stopped going nuts. some things will never make sense.

still getting the problem with erratic pauses though. now that I have a monitor, I've noticed this only happens over SSH. Here's an example... if I hold down a key while at the prompt, every 2 or so seconds it'll stop responding for half a second. Imagine typing on a spyware ridden XP machine. it feels like low memory or something, but I can't see any greedy processes :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

ooh, here's another hint. I can SSH to my mac mini through the debian box, and I get the same effect while typing on my mac mini's shell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I'm no expert by any means, but could it be some device malfunctioning and the kernel stalling while it waits on an I/O routine to return for example?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Could be cf , is stuff that gets written to often mounted on a ramdisk ? or dodgy ethernet port ( I nearly binned a little embedded board over a switch that would loose packets on 192 addresses)

Advertisement