Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want FASTER!

Options
  • 13-10-2007 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

I'm sure this is stating the obvious for just about everybody here but it's about time we got faster connections here! I was in UCC today and they have a 50mb/s connection which is pretty unreal tbh!:D Made me want something at least 20mb/s , so what can I get with that that won't cost 10k a year?:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

10Mbps from Digiweb is about €2050 p.a. Buy 2 of it and aggregate them via a smart Router/NAT and you would have 20Mbps for under half of the 10K p.a. Though "up to" applies. Or buy 3 x 6Mbps from UPC/NTL

Or 7 phone lines with ADSL aggregated to 20Mbps might be around 1/2 the 10K too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Ho! Ho! Ho!
    Ho! Ho! Ho!
    Ho! Ho! Ho!
    Ho! Ho! Ho!
    Ho! Ho! Ho!

Merrry Christmas

Wants Needs More

Read My Sig

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Bigchrome

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Ho! Ho! Ho!
    Ho! Ho! Ho!
    Ho! Ho! Ho!
    Ho! Ho! Ho!
    Ho! Ho! Ho!

Merrry Christmas

Wants Needs More

Read My Sig

What the absolute flying ****:confused:

And I meant the 10k as sarcastically btw...what I really mean was for less than 1k a year. What modem can I use to aggregate the lines? Would use 3x6mb/s smart broadband for ~100 a month but then there's line rental too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

flee the country tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Bigchrome wrote: »
    What the absolute flying ****:confused:

And I meant the 10k as sarcastically btw...what I really mean was for less than 1k a year. What modem can I use to aggregate the lines? Would use 3x6mb/s smart broadband for ~100 a month but then there's line rental too.

You use 3 modems:

Then a Cisco box or customised Linux box with 3 WAN ethernet and one WAN ethernet.
    You can't get a single connection faster than the fastest link, but if your PC has multiple connections (torrents) or you have multiple PCs, then the connections a re load balanced.

You can get true aggregation, but that needs a box at the ISP end too, then a single connection is possible at sum of individual links. That is seriously expensive as the ISP has to have a fancy box at their end dedicated to you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Just buy your own dark fiber to the nearest data centre :) The transit is cheap, altho the fiber might cost a 'few' euro a year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Consider yourself lucky that you can get whatever form of broadband. I've been stuck on Dial-up ever since the internet was available in Ireland... !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭tonton-bob

Move to another country ( avoid Belgium though )

Best solution :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭bungholio

move into a magnet ftth development, their fibre i can download at 2.2MBps which equals a 20mb line

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭MeWantBroadband

bungholio wrote: »
    move into a magnet ftth development, their fibre i can download at 2.2MBps which equals a 20mb line

So? I am on the 8 Mb package (for now anyway) and it gives 5 Mb download on speed test and 9(!) Mb upload. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭MeWantBroadband

So? I am on the 8 Mb package (for now anyway) and it gives 5 Mb download on speed test and 9(!) Mb upload. :cool:

Ok scratch that:

1. Tonight I am actually getting 12 Mb down and almost 9Mb down according to Speedtest.net.

2. I noticed you are using megaBITs and megaBYTEs in your comment. Please don't - that confuses any thread.

2. I don't know how you are getting 2 MB/sec which would be 16 Mb/sec. They only do up to 8 Mb, but maybe that is conservative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭bungholio

try and download a file from rapidshare and look at your download speed, it averages around 1.9MB, i get that on just about anything i download, even from alternative sites, see the screenshot below

<edited out by moriarty>

Advertisement