Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reinstalling MCE problems creating partition

Options
  • 14-10-2007 4:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to reinstall windoes mce after a crash. When I get to the install screen where you choose a drive, delete & create partitions I try to delete a hard drive and create a partition on it. After this I try to choose that partition which I've just created to install windows on, but it says something along the lines of 'no compatible partition is available on the drive, press enter to go back and create a partition'.
    Any ideas why it won't recognise the partition I've just made?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Did you do the longer format using NTFS or the quick NTFS? It might help to give it the full whack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

I'm not getting that option for formatting at all. Not sure why. Here is the sequence of screens that I get:

DSC03694.gif
    I press D to delete the partition.
    DSC03695.gif
    I press L to confirm.
    DSC03696.gif
    I press C to create a new partition.
    DSC03697.gif
    I press enter to confirm.
    DSC03698.gif
    I press enter to install Windows.
    Then I get this message:
    DSC03700.gif
    Where am I going wrong?

I see you have a RAID setup. Must admit I'm confused!

What happens when you try to erase the E: drive instead [NTFS RAID] and then proceed to install Windows on it?

ethernet wrote: »
    I see you have a RAID setup. Must admit I'm confused!

What happens when you try to erase the E: drive instead [NTFS RAID] and then proceed to install Windows on it?

I lose a terabyte of videos for one thing. So I've been putting off trying that. But I'm not missing anything obvious am I? If not I'll prob replace that HD first and try again before killing the raid drives.

Thanks for your help.

Best hold off reformatting so. Can you avoid reinstalling in the first place? What was the error message you were getting exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Can you shed more light on the subject, what size is the hd? have you other hd's in the system? how many? size?

Can you unplug the raided drives from the mobo so the wont b erased

Dont fully understand, you should be getting an option to format after you create the partion. Have you tried pressing c again to create it again, does this keep happenin?

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Can you shed more light on the subject, what size is the hd? have you other hd's in the system? how many? size?

Can you unplug the raided drives from the mobo so the wont b erased

Dont fully understand, you should be getting an option to format after you create the partion. Have you tried pressing c again to create it again, does this keep happenin?

There are 4 x 300GB drives in it, 3 of them in a soft raid. The one I tried to reinstall windows on wasn't raided.
    The option to format after creating the partition doesn't seem to appear. I'll try disconnecting the 3 raided drives and give it another shot.

I disconnected the 3 RAID drives and it is back to normal. It gives the format option like it should now.

Advertisement