Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kurt Vonnegut

Options
  • 14-10-2007 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

Reading Breakfast of Champions. Absolute brilliance. Reminds me a lot of Catch 22 which is high praise. What should I read next?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

My wife has all his books. She said there is no order. She did say you should try Slaughterhouse V

By the way, my wife mentioned that they knew each other, so thats probably why you were reminded of Catch 22.

Here i am posting and i have never read either... Will have to get around to it... Oh wait.. i read Sirens of Titan. I enjoyed it. Though from reading the wiki, Douglas Adams explains you have to read it a few times to realise its brilliance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i think there's one called 'god bless you mr rosewater'

any one of them will do, they are all fantastic.. although slaughterhouse 5, even though it's the shortest.. is probably the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Slaughterhouse five is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭CraggyIslander

slaughterhouse five +1

Am currently reading timequake myself, loved breakfast of champions, but Galapagos is my favourite so far (after slaughterhouse five that is :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Another vote for slaughterhouse five. Fantastic read.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Dylan_James

Definitely Slaughterhouse 5. Vonnegut wrote an essay once where he grades all of his novels. Slaughterhouse 5 and Cats Cradle where the only ones he marked with an A+. At the moment i am half way through Cats Cradle. Breakfast of Champions, although very well known, wasnt rated highly by himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭2040

Cats Cradle is excellent. It has one of the best endings i've ever read. Comes highly advised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

God bless you mr rosewater is excellent, as is hocus pocus but I think breakfast is his best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Ho-Hum

Have only read Breakfast of Champions but it was an absolute great read, will be giving a few of the above a go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Reading Breakfast of Champions at the moment and think it is a terrific read. Have read Cat's Cradle before, which was bizarre but oddly compelling too. Will check out Slaughterhouse 5 soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Slaughterhouse 5, excellent book.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I've only read The Sirens of Titan which was good, but not great.
    Going to try Slaughterhouse 5 soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Ronan3345

slaughterhouse 5 is really good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Listen:
    After consuming and loving Breakfast of Champions I have moved onto Slaughterhouse 5 and am finding it to be another astonishing piece of work - think Catch 22 with the insanity turned up a notch, all topped with Vonneguts excellent, transcendant word play. So it goes.

Advertisement