Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

should I sell my dog????????????

• 14-10-2007 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭

My husky has started to attack my boxer. she is 12 and is not fit. they had been split up and it happened as they where being cleaned out. he just attacked her. Busted paw and sore leg she can't cope. he is a great dog but my hubby wants him gone. I have an other husky and she misses being with the boxer so she cries but if I put her with the boxer the male husky cries. WHAT CAN I DO???????????????? I don't want to be the one to give up a dog. but there may be some else that could help.:confused::confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭andrawolf

~snip~.

not nice.:mad: don't think that would be a good idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

~snip~

This is an animal forum that does not advocate violence to other animals irrespective of what the cause is. Read the charter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

MagicMarker perm banned from this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

If this is a sudden change in behaviour there could be something medically wrong with your dog causing the aggression, this should be checked out by your vet before you make any big decisions. Also if this change has happened suddenly it may be a way of letting you know the group dynamics in the home have changed and they are unhappy. Maybe the boxer is feeling left out ? It really isnt in their nature to be like that, boxers are usually very docile. More exercise or attention could solve the problem ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

golden wrote: »
    This is an animal forum that does not advocate violence to other animals irrespective of what the cause is. Read the charter.
    First time post here (on the animal issue forum I mean) but banning MagicMarker for what's been quoted seems excessive in the extreme (it's hard for me to say since I didn't see the offending post. I'm going based on what's been quoted). Does getting a dog "fixed" count as violence against an animal these days? I'm not in favour of it personally but I think it's excessive to consider it "violence".

On topic, discipline is key OP. Dogs are intelligent animals and if the offending dog is shown that the behaviour is unacceptable, he will learn. Ask an expert on how best to achieve this as I am slow to make suggestions given MagicMarker's ban (though if I'm missing something obvious about that, obviously I retract my comments).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

RealJohn wrote: »
    First time post here (on the animal issue forum I mean) but banning MagicMarker for what's been quoted seems excessive in the extreme (it's hard for me to say since I didn't see the offending post. I'm going based on what's been quoted). Does getting a dog "fixed" count as violence against an animal these days? I'm not in favour of it personally but I think it's excessive to consider it "violence".

On topic, discipline is key OP. Dogs are intelligent animals and if the offending dog is shown that the behaviour is unacceptable, he will learn. Ask an expert on how best to achieve this as I am slow to make suggestions given MagicMarker's ban (though if I'm missing something obvious about that, obviously I retract my comments).
    Hi There Realjohn, the mod of this forum has deleted the offending item.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭fits

golden wrote: »
    Hi There Realjohn, the mod of this forum has deleted the offending item.

hence 'snip'...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

D'Oh!:D

This doesn't help me. my hubby has had the boxer since she was a pup, 12 years now. she has always been and aggresive dog against other dogs,but she took to the husky really well when I got him last year. all summer they had had there scufflies but I think he is fighting to be boss. and if they where in the wild that would be hurtin them bad or killing them. my husband doesn't see that it is as much the boxers fault. she may have to be put to sleep because we think her leg is broke and bad. So all he wants is rid of the husky. If I did sell him I would need to buy another pup because my bitch husky would not cope being on her own. It is so hard but I don't think I have a chose.:confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I think you have an issue that reaches a bit deeper than "just" two dogs not getting along.

The boxer is "his dog", the huskies are "yours" and from what I read into your posts there probably is quite some antagonism towards the others' dog(s) / favouritism towards the own dog(s).

No matter what you need to do right now to solve your immediate problem, I'd strongly suggest that you find a way for both of you to equally accept all dogs in the household as belonging to both of you equally and that you are equally responsible for all of them, no matter who's dog it is/was, BEFORE you even think about getting another one.

Dogs are very sensitive to that kind of thing and they know, when someone favours another dog over them. They also are very sensitive towards tensions between their leaders. These tensions feed down the line and will be taken out on the weakest member ...especially when a "grudge" is already carried against that dog because of favouritism.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that peasant I would arrgee a 100%. when we got the male husky he was for my husband to walk as his boxer isn't fit. It lasted a week. I was saying the boxer is my hubby's but it is me that does all the cleaning and feeding and exercising. The boxer is old and can't walk to far but if it is a dry day I do take her out but it is on her own as the huskies are to strong to walk with her. I can see what you are saying but there is nothing I can do as the boxer is just to old and she needs the peice. I am in the process in finding my boy a new home and I think I have one. thanks for the help.:D:D

Advertisement