Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Work trying to steal my number

• 14-10-2007 11:28am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I just quit work and they're tyring to take my mobile number. I had a number before I started and they changed it over to a new provider & started paying the bill.

Surely they can't take my number as it was mine originally???

thanks

T

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i can't see why they'd want to. go to the person who organises these things in the company and say you want authorisation to move the number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Technically, it's neither of yours. It's the networks.

But that said, unless the contract is in your name, there's little you can do. They do technically own it if it's in their name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I'd suggest you have a reasonable conversation / send an email explaining the situation to whoever manages your telephone accounts. It's not going to be any advantage to the company to have your personal calls driving some new employee mad.

They'd be better of just issuing a new number and giving yours back. Ask the person managing it to close the account and request whichever network it is, to port it back to a pre-pay account. That way you can port it to whoever you like.

If the bill's now in your company's name, there's no way you can take the number without their permission as the contract is with them.

If the account's still in your name and they're just paying it, ring the network operator and port it to prepay or whatever you want to do.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Rats.

This is the reason I left that feckin place - nasty to the core

Ok cool, thanks for the advice guys :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭FergalBoards.ie

This is not solely a cellular network issue, it is also a work/life balance issue.

Giving legal advice on Boards is prohibited, so I will outline some issues.

The company may have a confidentiality/privacy policy that seeks to limit your contact with former work-related contacts after you leave the post. That is a reasonable concern.

You may have an issue such as a personal contact who is difficult to contact by you but rings you occasionally when they feel lonely and that relationship goes back to before your time with the company.
    In this situation you may have reasonable privacy/confidentiality concerns.

Particularly if no arrangement was made before they began paying for the bill as to what might happen the number, I would seek legal advice.

I would deal with this outside the framework of cellular providers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

perhaps the reason they want to number is because it's been used externally to deal with clients and they don't want an ex employee taking such calls. Pretty reasonable from their point of view.

Worth a sit down with the guy running the numbers in your company though and see if he can sort it out.

On the other side, do you really want to continue to receive work calls long after you leave?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Flying

Simple transfer of ownership form should suffice, I will most likely being doing it when I leave my current employment for greener pastures;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Flying wrote: »
    Simple transfer of ownership form should suffice, I will most likely being doing it when I leave my current employment for greener pastures;)
    Must be signed and authorised by the current owners, hence his current problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,927 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

This is why when my company asked if I wanted to transfer my number to the group account, I said no thanks and got a seperate phone and number from them.

Sure it means carrying around 2 phones, but I can turn the work one off at half 5, and it's a lot easier than having to sort through itemised bills to see what were work related and what were personal calls.

Advertisement