Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upscaling through Compnent?

• 14-10-2007 11:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭

Anyone know of a good quality DVD player that upscales to 1080 via the component output?

For various reasons HDMI upscaling is of no use to me. Budget would be up to the €800 mark.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

why upscale? your tv has a built in scaler, it will scale whatever you give it anyway. If you're looking for a better scaler than that though that is a different story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

mossym wrote: »
    why upscale? your tv has a built in scaler, it will scale whatever you give it anyway. If you're looking for a better scaler than that though that is a different story.

It's not for a TV though...i t's for a projector. I don't think it will upscale.
    As I do more research I'm beginning to think it would be a waste of time. It's an Infocus 5700 and I think the resolution might be 576 (projectors/resolution is not my area!) and even though the infocus can accept up to 1080 via component it might not be able to display it!

I presume with a native res of 1024X576 that the max resolution it can deliver is 576?

yup. if that's the resolution, then an upscaling dvd player could actually look worse. you'd upscale to 1080 or 720, then the projector would rescale to 576. get a decent player and you'll get as good a picture as possible.

(off topic, upscaling dvd players are a bit of a scam in fairness. your tv has a better scaler than most dvd players, yest most people will use the cheap scaler in a dvd player rather than the one in their tv)

off topic, upscaling dvd players are a bit of a scam in fairness. your tv has a better scaler than most dvd players

Yep, and I've told people the same myself. It's just I think my DVD player might be acting up and I was trying to bridge the time while the format wars are fought. I'll stick with my Arcam 88+ as long as I can so!

• Advertisement

what may be worth trying, is turning on/off progressive scan on your dvd player(if it can). It's possible the projector may have a better interlacer than your projector. Will likely make no difference, but is worth a shot

what may be worth trying, is turning on/off progressive scan on your dvd player(if it can). It's possible the projector may have a better interlacer than your projector. Will likely make no difference, but is worth a shot

I think I tried this a while back but it's worth a shot again. It's worth pointing out that currently the picture quality is actually very good... I just wondered was there better available.

Advertisement