Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So the Orange Box are u going to buy it off steam or in the shops?

Options
  • 14-10-2007 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭

So I was there thinking about buying the Orange box via steam, reckoned I'd save a good bit of money after all 49.95 converts to 35 euros, so go through the online process and then it wacks a load of tax on it bringing it up to around 40 Euros, so I check smyths site and when it comes out next weeks it will be around 45 euros, so I cancelled as I think for the extra couple of Euros I'd prefer to have the DVD version. What about others are u going to download or buy it in your local store?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Already bought it off steam, don't see any point to wait a week and pay extra just for a DVD. You can backup the steam files to DVD if you really want a hard copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

pointless buying it in store. you'll all you'll get extra is a box and a half life 2 quick guide (the controls are printed on this and anyways who doesn't know the controls to an fps) which valve give you in pdf format.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Bought it off steam a month ago to avail of the TF2 beta. Was well worth it to be able to play episode 2 on wednesday without any delays (apart from all that bloody decryptin:mad:)
    Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Already bought it off steam, don't see any point to wait a week and pay extra just for a DVD. You can backup the steam files to DVD if you really want a hard copy.

I think it's cheaper on play.com than it is on steam if you factor in the US sales tax

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Looks like its 7.81GB for the full package, which would eat well into my 40GB crap cap with NTHELL, plus I'm old fashioned like the idea of receiving a physical disc rather then a download.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

i'm credit cardless so i will be buying it in the shops

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

Whichever way it's bought anyway, it's still dependent on the Steam server(s). Whenever Valve or whoever's responsible for that side of things decides they don't want to provide access to it anymore, they can just pull the plug. Of course that won't be for a few years yet, but it will come of course.
    Also, you can't just play it without being online in the first place. You can tick the box to say play offline, but it still forces you to go online every couple of days.
    Neither can you sell it, assuming you have played it.
    Gone are the days of actually _owning_ something.

The only way to play Half-Life 2 without all that garbage is to pirate it. Of course I would never advocate such a thing and I'm not even certain it is available that way. And I'm not bothered enough to find out either.
    I stopped buying or playing anything STEAM-related after seeing how restricted HL2 is.
    If it's the future of pc-gaming then I'm afraid I've played my last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Whichever way it's bought anyway, it's still dependent on the Steam server(s). Whenever Valve or whoever's responsible for that side of things decides they don't want to provide access to it anymore, they can just pull the plug. Of course that won't be for a few years yet, but it will come of course.
    Also, you can't just play it without being online in the first place. You can tick the box to say play offline, but it still forces you to go online every couple of days.
    Neither can you sell it, assuming you have played it.

The only way to play Half-Life 2 without all that garbage is to pirate it. Of course I would never advocate such a thing and I'm not even certain it is available that way. And I'm not bothered enough to find out either.
    I stopped buying or playing anything STEAM-related after seeing how restricted HL2 is.
    If it's the future of pc-gaming then I'm afraid I've played my last.

Have Valve turned off anything yet? I don't think they have. Steam keeps track of what you own so if you lose your DVD or it gets so scratched it doesn't work, you can download it again for free! Gone are the days of you runing your stuff and it been gone forever or backing it up to ensure that does not occur.

There are advantages to the Steam way of doing things too. I'll wait until they screw users over before assuming they are going to.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

and also don't EA now distribute Valve games? i thought i read that somewhere.

less money that goes into their pockets the better.

I'll be buying it in the shops for my PS3. I already have HL2+EP1 on my laptop, but its low spec lags a good bit. I'm looking forward to playing it smoothly for once :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

already downloaded, weeeeeeeeee portal \o/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Valve have stated before that if they were to ever go out of business or anything like that happens, they have patches ready so you won't lose your games.

As brim4brim said too, it's very convenient being able to download games you've lost the discs for, even some games I didn't buy through Steam, they're in my account as activated and I can download them again anytime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

grimm2005 wrote: »
    i'm credit cardless so i will be buying it in the shops

get yourself a 3v card then you can buy a pre-paid visa voucher ( €5 charge per voucher though ) to shop online , i used one to get the orange box from steam and use them for online shopping and my motor tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I can wait till next friday, I prefer to have the actual physical disc.

Plus it would probably take till friday to download it anyway... haha.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I have HL2+episode 1 on my laptop as well but it is also low specish so im waiting till the 360 version comes out on Friday and i'll buy it then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

buying the 360 so i can paly it in the comfort of my bedroom on my HDTV :D And for acheivements!

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Teg Veece

Just a quick question regarding steam. I'm thinking about moving abroad for a year or so and I'm wondering if I could download whatever steam games I've already bought onto the PC I'll be using when I move using my steam account.

Would I have to uninstall the games on my home PC first?

You can just install Steam on your new PC, log in and download and install the games. I use my Steam account on two seperate PCs with no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Just reading the Eurogamer review (http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=85044&page=1) and saw this which some might find useful:
    'PC owners should also be aware that they can give their CD-keys to friends if they already own Half-Life 2 or Half-Life 2: Episode One, too.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I'll be buying elsewhere. It's not such a good deal on steam after the 21% tax gets added on. Plus they wouldldn't accept my credit card, despite the fact the details matches what I use all the time.

Online prices:
    Play.com 41.99
    Blahdvd.com 40.99
    HMV.co.uk 38.72 (GBP 26.99 inc del)
    Gameplay.co.uk 38.00 (but there's a shipping fee of about GBP 2.50)

Just bought it from HMV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

koneko wrote: »
    You can just install Steam on your new PC, log in and download and install the games. I use my Steam account on two seperate PCs with no issues.
    Or just right click on anything in the my games menu in steam, choose "backup game files", then just copy the file it creates to the other pc and run it there. saves a wee bit of bandwidth...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Another old fashioned vote here, I'll be getting the box just so I can look at it and add it to my collection, not that I think there is anything wrong with steam, It's a pretty cool system, had a look at their stats and I never realised it was so big - several hundred thousand gamers online at any one time - wow

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Not true at all, activate it once then it never has to go online again.
    You never owned software, just a license to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,520 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

MOH wrote: »
    Just bought it from HMV

Is it on sale over here already?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Is it on sale over here already?

Sorry, meant I'd just pre-ordered it from HMV.co.uk - they were the cheapest of the 4 I'd quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Ciaran500 wrote:
    You never owned software, just a license to use it.

You owned the box and the disk :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

My sentiments exactly....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

humanji wrote: »
    You owned the box and the disk :D

No source code included though;)
    Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't propitiatory/closed products always sold as licenses to just "use" the product?
    Mind you, I don't think I buy a license to drink coke when I buy a can for example:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Well be careful just in case they demand it all back! :eek:

Advertisement