Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So the Orange Box are u going to buy it off steam or in the shops?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭h2s

Might buy it in shop, undecided yet.

Got stung with C&C3, bought it thru Steam some months ago for €50 only to find that local Gamestop flogging it for €25.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

Bought it off Steam for the first time and don't really have any complaints... yet. I used to have the same reservations expressed already but I just couldn't wait another week for Team Fortress 2 knowing it was out there ready to played.

I do agree though, that the prices are a bit extortionate considering you're saving them the bother of having to build, staff, insure, and maintain multiple premises in expensive locations throughout the world to distribute their product. It stinks of the supercilious attitude I personally perceive from Valve.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Checked with Smyths in Town and won't be selling it till Friday, anyone know of stores in town that might sell it to you tomorrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

And for those still on the fence about buying it either way:

Zero Punctuation Review

Great review as ever, this guy is fast become my most trusted reviewer as well as the most entertaining...

I agree with everything he said about portal. The other parts of the package aren't really my bag so much.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

The whole package is amazing value imo.
    Portal is amazing.
    TF2 is the single best team based multiplayer game out there imo.
    HL2 and episodes are the best fps single player ever made imo.
    Id pay the asking price for TF2 or Portal alone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

can you buy tf2 by itself ?

MooseJam wrote: »
    can you buy tf2 by itself ?

Yes. Not great value though. Can't remember prices but it was the same price for me to buy the whole lot as it was to buy just TF2 and Portal.

And you don't want to miss out on Portal, trust me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ive been playing nothing else but TF2 so i thought it was time to get stuck into Portal.
    Just finished 3 hour sitting from start to finish and my god what an astonishing game.
    The end is just pure magic as is the music and end credits part.
    An absolute masterpiece that i simply couldnt put down,oh god im up in 5 hours.

As has been said you cannot miss out on Portal,its a stunning piece of software,truely ingenoius.

Dcully wrote: »
    Ive been playing nothing else but TF2 so i thought it was time to get stuck into Portal.
    Just finished 3 hour sitting from start to finish and my god what an astonishing game.
    The end is just pure magic as is the music and end credits part.
    An absolute masterpiece that i simply couldnt put down,oh god im up in 5 hours.

As has been said you cannot miss out on Portal,its a stunning piece of software,truely ingenoius.

So true. The game exceeded all of my expectations. Surprise of the year.

Warning - DO NOT read the spoilers if you haven't completed it.
    GlaDOS congratulated me on completing Floor 19 and thought to myself "yes, that was a pretty good game, lived up to my expectations", then I rounded the corner and realised I was about to be incinerated and just thought "NOOO they can't do that to me" and quickly scrambled to find an escape. To be honest I think it may be the first time, ever, that I can recall feeling being 'in' a game to quite that extent, it was only after masterminding my escape from the incinerator that I calmed down and realised that this was of course all scripted and this is what the player is expected to do.

And what followed from that point onwards was just pure genius every step of the way, until the credits stopped rolling. Fabulous game.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Puteq

I have a question maybe someone who has already bought this can answer - lets say hypothetically I go and buy the Orange box in a shop or on the net, will it come with a new steam account that I will have to use for TF2? Cos then my existing steam account would have CS:S on it, but if I wanted to switch over to TF2 I would need to log out and in again! I assume if I went ahead and bought Orange box I could get the contents of it attached to my existing steam account? and yes I know it would be simpler to just buy it via steam with my existing account but if it is cheaper on the net then thats the option i'd rather go for...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Gonna pick it up on the 360 this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Puteq wrote: »
    I have a question maybe someone who has already bought this can answer - lets say hypothetically I go and buy the Orange box in a shop or on the net, will it come with a new steam account that I will have to use for TF2? Cos then my existing steam account would have CS:S on it, but if I wanted to switch over to TF2 I would need to log out and in again! I assume if I went ahead and bought Orange box I could get the contents of it attached to my existing steam account? and yes I know it would be simpler to just buy it via steam with my existing account but if it is cheaper on the net then thats the option i'd rather go for...

Yes, if you have an existing Steam account you can just tie it in with that, so everything is on one account. Anything you have duplicate (like HL2) you can "gift" to someone else, so if you have a friend that has not played HL2 before now is the time to make them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Puteq

koneko wrote: »
    Yes, if you have an existing Steam account you can just tie it in with that, so everything is on one account. Anything you have duplicate (like HL2) you can "gift" to someone else, so if you have a friend that has not played HL2 before now is the time to make them ;)

Cool thanks for letting me know :-) Now I can go ahead and order woohoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Hey Guys,

Sorry to ask what might be an obvious question but what's all the fuss about Orange Box? I haven't been playing many PC Games lately as I sold my PC and while my laptop is reasonably spec'd it's just not the same experiance.

So I don't get what all the fuss is with Orange Box? It's just material that you had already (Half-Life 2) and material that you could download through Steam (Episode's).
    Am I missing something???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

eo980 wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

Sorry to ask what might be an obvious question but what's all the fuss about Orange Box? I haven't been playing many PC Games lately as I sold my PC and while my laptop is reasonably spec'd it's just not the same experiance.

So I don't get what all the fuss is with Orange Box? It's just material that you had already (Half-Life 2) and material that you could download through Steam (Episode's).
    Am I missing something???

It's HL2, Ep 1, Ep 2, Team Fortress and Portal, so 5 games (well, 2 and 3 halves) for 40 quid. If you don't have HL2 and Ep 1 already it's brilliant value.

I've HL2, no Ep 1, but it's still a decent deal. Plus if you end up with duplicates of HL2 and Ep 1 you can gift them to someone else. (Or try and seel them on adverts as some people are doing.)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Ahh thanks MOH. I guess that's pretty good value alright and I had been thinking about buying the Episodes to play, so perhaps I'll just get this instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Yeah, definitely good value, and if you're at all interested in online play Team Fortress 2 is in the box too. I haven't tried Portal yet but I've heard lots of very very good things about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

bought the game today only €40.49 in smyths with a loyalty card or €44.99 without (which prolly ends up cheaper than steam given tax and all that)

€54.99 in game, hmv and gamestop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

grimm2005 wrote: »
    bought the game today only €40.49 in smyths with a loyalty card or €44.99 without (which prolly ends up cheaper than steam given tax and all that)

€54.99 in game, hmv and gamestop

Picked it up for €49.99 in Gamestop in Swords this morning.

Just have to wait till after work to play it:(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

koneko wrote: »
    Yeah, definitely good value, and if you're at all interested in online play Team Fortress 2 is in the box too. I haven't tried Portal yet but I've heard lots of very very good things about it.

TBH
    Portal is my pc game of the year so far, absolutely fantastic stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

I checked yesterday too about the prices. I figured i'd just get it from Steam for €15 cheaper (nice to finally see something cheaper on Steam than in shops)

Still, took me 3 hours to download Episode 2. About as long as it'll take to finish playing it I guess :p

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

i got it on steam a few weeks ago.
    as someone who didnt have hl2 or ep1 is was fantastic value.
    buying on steam meant i got to play team fortress, hl2 and ep1 until october 10th when everything else was unlocked. otherwise i would have had to wait for it to turn up in the shops....although that said i have now finished all said games and what has been one of the best gaming experiences of my life...seriously, they were great...now im playing team fortress which is just so fun, i dont think i will ever go back to battlefield 2.

regarding the price, normally i would totally agree that the prices are crazy concidering there are no shops, manufacturing/shipping costs etc, but the orange box is such good value.
    i dont think i would buy other games on steam unless the price was less than that in shops or i couldnt find them in shops.

oh and if people want to discuss portal there is a thread in the half-life forum on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

portal is the funniest game i have played in years...

p.s I want that song from the credits please god tell me there is an mp3 of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    p.s I want that song from the credits please god tell me there is an mp3 of it.

Search for a tool called gcfscape on google, and use that to open the "portal content" file inside your steam\streamapps folder
    browse to the potal\sound\music folder with gcfscape and open the "portal_still_alive.mp3" file

or just google for it if you're lazy...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Bought Team Fortress 2 on its own off Steam, wasnt interested in the other 2! :D

Its a legend of a game :D

Reminds me of my old timesplitter days back on PS2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

The ending credits of portal could quite possibly be the greatest moment in gaming of 07.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Just played through portal there, did it in one sitting, 3 or 4 hours or so, but it was still worth the price of the orange box alone, fantastic game, and best end to a game I've seen in a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

got orange box off ebay for 14.27 GBP. The seller sent me the cd key within a day to my email and i downloaded the game from steam. he didn't post me the cd so i saved postage. bought it from pc_gaming_store

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

vishal wrote: »
    got orange box off ebay for 14.27 GBP. The seller sent me the cd key within a day to my email and i downloaded the game from steam. he didn't post me the cd so i saved postage. bought it from pc_gaming_store

Good deal I wonder how they manage to do this? Probably sells a lot cheaper in India.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

For anyone thinking of buying this, cheapest I had found it was GBP 24.99 + delivery from hmv.co.uk.

It's gone up to GBP 26.99 since I bought it, but if you order today or tomorrow and use code HMV015 you get 15% off (that's on pretty much everything), GBP 2 delivery, so total GBP 24.94 delivered.

Mine arrived yesterday, finished Portal last night, bit disappointed with the length but closing credits are class.

Advertisement