Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upgrading to XP

• 14-10-2007 11:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭

Heyos,

I've had my laptop for a while now, running Windows Vista. Its always been pretty slow and crappy, but the machine was the cheapest they had in the store, and was bought to replace a recently fried PC, so I assumed I just had a crappy computer.

Anyway I was talking to one of the guys I work with, who coincidentally had bought the same laptop as me, except he got his before Vista was released, and it runs XP. His laptop is, compared to mine, lightening fast, even though the hardware is the same, so I have decided to upgrade my machine by ditching Vista. Does anyone know where I can get a new copy of Windows XP? Are they even still made/sold? I would even buy a second hand one, as long as it was legit and came with the key etc.

I've never bought an OS on its own before so I don't even know where to start looking.

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If it's Vista Business you already have a license for XP.

Have you tried turning off all aero and all the other eye-candy ?

How much RAM do you have ?

Does your laptop have a slot for an SD card, it's a little neater than using a USb key for ready boost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

zod wrote: »

That looks good, but unfortunately I am not a student, nor do I know anybody nearby who is so I think that's out of the question.

Capt'n Midnight: Its Vista Home Premium so I'm assuming that doesnt come with an XP licence :(

I tried turning aero and the other crap off almost as soon as I got it because of how slow it is. It improved the situation somewhat but not nearly as fast as my workmate's XP machine. I've got 1gb of RAM - like I said it was a low end machine, and no SD card reader.

I really think XP is my only option here - Vista looks sweet when its on the screen and not being used, but when I try to run apps it crawls. I mean, fresh out of the box I installed Firefox, and while the web browser is running with a single site open, it takes about five seconds just to display the start menu if clicked on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Why don't you bring it back to where you bought it and tell them the laptop they sold you is unfit to run vista, especially if it was somewhere like pcworld or dixons you could say the floor staff guaranteed it would run smoothly but in actuality it crawls along and is unusable. They might even give you a copy of XP for free, tbh they shouldn't be selling laptops with Vista that can't handle it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 vaughny

i only have a new laptop myself its a dell inspiron 1501 with vista i got broadband last week eircom 2mb and using the wirless its fast when i start using the internet then afer a while it stalls a lot on me somtimes for several minutes reallypising me off would you know if its the windows visa thats doing this? if brought back would they change to xp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Dell might be a different story as you actually pick the spec yourself but there is no harm giving them a call saying you want to downgrade to xp because your laptop is struggling to run vista.

I got a dell vostro last week with vista, it had 78 processes running from startup, I bet your 1501 has a similar amount. Its a lot quicker since I disabled and removed half of the ****. Try this guide here http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/servicecfg.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭Conar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

vaughny wrote: »
    i only have a new laptop myself its a dell inspiron 1501 with vista i got broadband last week eircom 2mb and using the wirless its fast when i start using the internet then afer a while it stalls a lot on me somtimes for several minutes reallypising me off would you know if its the windows visa thats doing this? if brought back would they change to xp

Try the dell decrapifier to remove the rubbish that dell has put on your system http://www.yorkspace.com/2006/04/39
    Get rid of the sample AV they gave you

A fresh install would be best.

Also make sure you do not have Google toolbar search assistant on it as it does what the OS is doing as well indexing all your files so both of them are.

make sure that the CPU is not in power save mode where it turns itself down to run at a lower speed to save battery etc

Advertisement