Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Winter is coming ...frost prevention !

• 14-10-2007 11:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

Don't forget to empty your tanks and pipes, folks !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

just a reminder...:D

It's forecast frosty !

Water in the tank shouldn'r really be a problem, it doesn't get cold enough around here. Water in a narrow pipe or in a tap is a different story. If that freezes over it could crack the pipe/tap and leave you with a nasty surprise. So its safest to just empty everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Grayarea

As the weather looked dodgy after this weekend I drained my water tanks on Sunday.

One question, how do you empty your pipes?

I just ran the pump until the tank was empty and gave it a second and turned off the power, leaving the taps open.

Inquiring minds want to know!

Later,

What I do is, I open the valve on the boiler and let water run out there (tanks still full), then I open all taps (hot and cold and even the toilet) and you can hear air going in there, sucking water back.
    Then I go round the van and open the valves on the two freshwater tanks ...that creates a nice bit of suction and by the time everything is empty there should only be very little water left (if any) in the taps and pipes.

Perfectionists (not me) get an old bycicle tube tightly round the tap and blow the water out.

Waste water tanks are always emptied after every trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Is it necessary to empty the water if all of the pipes are on the inside of the MH?

...depends on how cold it gets

after the first winter (where we had one night of -7) a little water left in a t-junction of the pipe had actually frozen and opended the junction.

Luckily I noticed it right when I filled up the tanks for the first time and the damage was easily repaired and onlt very little water spilled.

Overlook something like that and when filling your tanks next spring, you could accidentally fill the whole motorhome :D

EDIT ...or worse ...you could have something freeze, break the pipe, thaw, empty the contents of the pipe in some really awkward corner, freeze again and do some real damage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Best to empty it then!!:D I don't plan on using the MH for the next while anyway except for the odd spin around the block at the weekends.

Advertisement