Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland vs England U21

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

eirebhoy wrote: »

I know exactly what you're saying about teams sitting back on a lead. As a gambler I often hate to see my team scoring early away from home. If San Marino have the majority of possession though it doesn't mean they're going to look impressive.

What happened when he got to the corner?

We ehh dont look impressive we look like a bunch of kids playing 7 a side and thinking the keeper might save it.

How many games have we won at u21 level in say the last 7 years?

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Jesus man I can't believe you think that. One of us is wrong here. I really hope it's not me because if I can't tell whether certain players look impressive or not I'm getting seriously worried. I think our midfielders and strikers have all linked up really well. Good passing football.

Put 6 Ronaldinho's on the pitch and they'll probably look like a bunch of kids playing 7 aside too, when they lose possession.

Jesus man I can't believe you think that. One of us is wrong here. I really hope it's not me because if I can't tell whether a team look impressive or not I'm getting seriously worried. I think our midfielders and strikers have all linked up really well. Good passing football.

And then England get the ball and create a chance?

Can have the all ball in the world dont mean **** if you dont actually do anything with it, Rooney and Stokes both had one on ones and nearly threatened :confused:

I dont blame the players they were picked and i would imagine San marion u21s have a better record in the last 7 years than ireland do.

Put 6 Ronaldinho's on the pitch and they'll probably look like a bunch of kids playing 7 aside too, when they lose possession.

So putting 6 Ronnie mac Donalds on the pitch vs 11 premiership players makes sense :|

kdjac

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Ouch! Terrible tackle from O'Brien on Milner. Lucky it wasn't a red.

Ireland are decent going forward, woeful defending.

13 minutes gone and we're nowhere near the standard of the first half. This half so far is back to typical Ireland. The first half was like watching Spurs. ;)

13 minutes gone and we're nowhere near the standard of the first half. This half so far is back to typical Ireland. The first half was like watching Spurs. ;)

45 minutes gone and i was right :D

We had a shot in that half :eek:

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Well it doesn't exactly help that any talented 19-21 year old we have gets stuck into the senior team.

Well it doesn't exactly help that any talented 19-21 year old we have gets stuck into the senior team.

How have we gone from a u16 and u18 winning teams to nothing from the u21s?

There are players out there who play up to u19 then are discarded by Givens as they not in England he only picked Powell and Coleman as he was short and then found they were good. Quigley is the same only got mention when he went on loan to some div 2 team.

Dont blame the players in anyway i on the Givens out bus since 2000 :D Pete Mahon should have that job and should have had it 7 years ago.

kdjac

Where are all our 20/21/22 year olds? Surely not all of them are in the senior squad. :D

• Advertisement

It's actually an interesting stat. There's 6 U21 players in the senior squad so we're forced to pick a bunch of U19s. It's not that Givens is building for the future, those 7 Irish teenagers on the pitch tonight were better than the 20-22 year olds available (according to Givens). Not a lot of strength in depth.

Givens doesnt need to do anything we cannot qualify after 2 games, thats a normal position for us at this stage or his stage of his career.

how did he get that job :confused:

How does he still keep it :confused:

Does he work for free :confused:

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Have to agree with KdjaCL. Thought Ireland were pretty poor tonight and it was boys against men for the majority of the match. Thought Stokes set pieces were terrible in the 2nd half. Don't think he got one corner past the first man in the second 45 mins. Ireland played some neat football for a spell when they were 3-0 down but they rarely threatened.

Didn't this team beat Germany last month in Germany, or was that U19's. I only remember because it fcuked up my accumulator. Think Germany were 1/4 or something and they only went and lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

What do the FAI expect from Givens?! Seriously?! There must be something they expect him to do unless he's not getting paid. Because as far as i can see over the past number of years he's probably done worse then a random punter would have. At least a random punter wouldn't have ridiculed the irish leagues and encouraged anyone with a bit of talent to flee the country if they want to be picked. To accept this awful work from Givens and actually pay him for it is just unbelieveable.

Whatever he does clearly doesn't work anyway, has a terible record and generally we play substandard football. The first half tonight was alright, but there was a terrible balance to the team, he must have actually seen the players before, he must have seen the opposition, what the hell was he expecting to happen fielding an all out attacking team?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

just back from the cross.. dreadful performance, givens genuinely doesnt have a clue. one thing i noticed was the difference in size, physically the english team was twice as big...

roy keane was sitting a few seats up from me, mick mccarthy was there too, i was hoping for some sort of celebrity death match type event at half time, unfortunately it wasn't to be..

also, it was sold out. Ohnoyoudidnt, you owe me a "cyber tenner"..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

KdjaCL wrote: »
    There are players out there who play up to u19 then are discarded by Givens as they not in England he only picked Powell and Coleman as he was short and then found they were good.
    Same with the Senior team.

You need only look at recent games. Joe O'Cearuill, Alan O'Brien, Lewis Emanuel and a load of other rubbish footballing non-entities were given caps ahead of Irish players who were doing the business domestically.

Same with the Senior team.

You need only look at recent games. Joe O'Cearuill, Alan O'Brien, Lewis Emanuel and a load of other rubbish footballing non-entities were given caps ahead of Irish players who were doing the business domestically.

Remove the domestically toherwsie you biased, fact is they playing week in week out and not for some league 2 reserve side.

Pats have 3 players in the u19 squad 2 of them would easily make the step up, givens knows about these 3 lads as they jumping from u16 to u19 as they are that good There are more like this and Pete Mahon knows this, they need to complete their education from u19 to u21 but Givens only picks *any"irish player in England over a certain age.

How on gods earth is he not u21 manager :confused:

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Roar wrote: »
    dreadful performance

Thats a bit harsh I feel. I know it was 3-0, and some bad errors at the back, but we played some good football in the first half and deserved a goal or two.

Im probably gonna get slaughtered for stating that but it was a tough game to read. I felt Huddlestone and Derbyshire weren't interested much, with their minds on the weekend games I presume. But I was impressed with parts of our performances and some positives can be taken out of the game. 3-0 flatters England greatly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Got to disagree re Huddlestone. Thought he pretty much bossed the midfield.

And I will agree with the sentiment that Ireland were absolute trousers. Englad raced out of the traps, scored three, and them stopped. Ireland looked good going forward as England knew they were no threat. England were so comfortable in defence in was almost untrue.

On a final note, good to see the idiots were out in force booing "God Save the Queen", singing "black & tans", and generally being a fecking embarrassment.

gimmick wrote: »
    And I will agree with the sentiment that Ireland were absolute trousers. Englad raced out of the traps, scored three, and them stopped.
    I thought Ireland were more or less on top from the start. England played the same way for the entire first half. They caught us on the break for their goals (that was the plan obviously and with the attacking team we fielded it wasn't hard), coupled with a goalkeeping blunder and a huge deflection. As I said, I was more impressed with Ireland in the first half than I've been with the U21s in ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

alot of mixed opinions here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

gimmick wrote: »
    Got to disagree re Huddlestone. Thought he pretty much bossed the midfield.

And I will agree with the sentiment that Ireland were absolute trousers. Englad raced out of the traps, scored three, and them stopped. Ireland looked good going forward as England knew they were no threat. England were so comfortable in defence in was almost untrue.

On a final note, good to see the idiots were out in force booing "God Save the Queen", singing "black & tans", and generally being a fecking embarrassment.

You should read yur own sig:D

I thought Ireland did OK, but that England side is very strong and I think Newstalk summed it up well, all the cliches applied, Ireland fought hard an played with passion, but the difference in class was obvious.

Huddlestone in particular I thought was outstanding. For me, the sign of a good player is one who never looks ruched and he was in control the whole night. I'm sure Spurs fans are very excited about him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement