Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf GTi - DSG or manual?

Options
  • 14-10-2007 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭

Seriously considering a Golf GTi for my next car. It seems to tick all the boxes for me - great handling, good looks, fast, practical and relatively unostentatious. Plus they seem to hold their value pretty well.

It'll probably be next year before I change but I want to savour the 'car-buying' experience, test drive a few models and generally faff about for a while!

Now I know the proof of the pudding is in the eating (or the driving in this case) but I'm aware a lot of people on this board have first-hand experience of GTIs - particularly the DSG gearbox. Is it a gimmick or an essential part of the experience? Does this box have any known problems? Also does air con and those delicious 5-spoke alloys come as standard? (VW site seems unreliable)

I'll probably go for a car that is at least a year old and a 5-door wouldn't bother me. Biggest concerns are dealing with VW dealers (*a*k*rs!) and the feeling that a GTi would be a target for thieves/vandals. I don't want to become one of those sad people who obsess about where they park their car!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Others will tell you better, but being in a roughly similar position as yourself, i can say i'd take the DSG over the manual everytime having test driven both. Its also got quicker accelleration and suppose to use less fuel.
    The 17" wheels come as standard, the bigger (and better looking) 18" wheels are about €800 extra when the car was bought new.
    Air con came standard on the later '06 models but before that it was an extra AFAIK. An alarm is also an extra.
    Run a search on DSG in the forum as well, its been dicussed a few times before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭MarkN

having owned GTIs I would say test both manual and DSG and see which you prefer. Some prefer manual as its more involving, some prefer the quickness of DSG. Air con not climate control, became standard middle of last year, losing the standard sunroof. The 18'' Detroits are optional but a must have I think, cars with the 17s look ****e and the 18s are not much extra. It's not VW dealers that are the problem, well some of them it's the service from some which let it down. VW are in the process of taking over MDL so things will change for the better very soon. Watch out for dodgy steering racks, both my GTIs had them, on full lock and reversing you will hear a horrible creaking noise but they are replaced under warranty. Can't say anyone ever went near my car but I know someone who lives in a rough enough area and the car was keyed but that could happen to any car really. Great car though, really restored the GTI badge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I've had one now for 8 months. Easily the best car I've had yet. As you say, its good looking, without being garish or OTT, but as Mark says, the 18's are as must! They make a huge difference to the appearance.
    Mine is manual. Very smooth box, I like it.
    I test drove the DSG at the time, I quite liked it in the brief go I had in it, main thing that put me off I guess was the 2K extra it cost!
    I've never had a problem with vandalism or any unwanted attention... though I do occasionally get muppet-attention in their civics/Glanzas at the lights!

Aircon is standard since mid last year, I opted for full climate control which as well as the extra functionality, looks so much better in the dash. The VW site is a disaster, all over the place and out of date. I've got the specs off by heart, anorak-style, so any questions, let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I bought one new in Jan 06,at the time I got Climate and dropped the sunroof,scandalous there was no A/C of any kind in it as standard considering the price.Also got leather,cruise and factory alarm.

I too drove the manual and DSG,for me it was the manual as I don't like autos,although if I was doing city driving I would consider it.

I've had absolutely no problems with it,no rattles squeaks etc.

Only complaint I have is that it's probably too fast for my middle age value system :D

VW dealers....hmmm...I'm changing and the worst trade in offer was at a VW dealer against a new one

BTW Red ones are fastest :p

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

MarkN wrote: »
    The 18'' Detroits are optional but a must have I think, cars with the 17s look ****e and the 18s are not much extra.
    JoeA3 wrote: »
    but as Mark says, the 18's are as must! They make a huge difference to the appearance.
    OP - 18"s are fine if appearance is everything and you don't plan on pushing the car. If you drive in any way fast though, don't go above 17". Go for a car with xenons instead - they're genuinely useful. In answer to your original question - drive both, but i'd take the DSG every time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

I just got a 07 manual gti.I think they are great.Its a great smooth ride.I havent test drove the DSG.I would have preferred the DSG but got the manual car abit cheap so couldnt miss the oppourtunity. :)

Anan1 wrote: »
    OP - 18"s are fine if appearance is everything and you don't plan on pushing the car. If you drive in any way fast though, don't go above 17". Go for a car with xenons instead - they're genuinely useful. In answer to your original question - drive both, but i'd take the DSG every time.

Yeh no Anan is right, make your GTI look like every other poverty spec on the roads and sure, I've only had two and covered about 35,000kms in them both with 18s and my God the amount of people that flew past me in GTIs with 17s cause they were so much faster brought a tear to my eye everytime.

Absolute rubbish. :D

I did have the bi-xenons on my second MKV GTI and I'll agree with Anan on that one - they're great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

I have nearly 11,000kms done on my DSG GTi and I am absolutly delighted with it.

The only thing I would change about my spec is the bi-xenons, I never drove a car with them before and didn't think much of it. recently drove an E-class from cork to dublin late at night and was very impressed with the xenons. It is an expensive option but in hindsight I should have ticked that box.

With regards to DSG v Manual. It was a no brainer for me after a couple of test drives. I have a horrid M50 commute every day and the auto is a blessing, while the DSG with a bit of practice is very much involving on the twisty bits.

The argument about the 'poverty spec' and the 18" rims is pointless, I for one despise over sized wheels on cars. While I like the shadowing on the 18"s I don't like the size. When you are spending over 40k on a car new and don't go for the 18s hardly makes you a skinflint and choosing the poverty spec .... the 18s just are not to my taste and of course as everyone knows, especially with cars taste is very much subjective.

The upgraded onboards computer with the steerign wheel controls is a worthwhile upgrade as is the ipod connector !

Yeh no Anan is right, make your GTI look like every other poverty spec on the roads and sure, I've only had two and covered about 35,000kms in them both with 18s and my God the amount of people that flew past me in GTIs with 17s cause they were so much faster brought a tear to my eye everytime.

Absolute rubbish. :D
    Like I said, it depends on your priorities. It's clear that you value appearance highly. If the look of the 18" wheels makes you happy then so be it. On our roads, though, 18"s will slow any car down. This may not be relevant to you, but there is a passing chance that the buyer of a Golf GTI will be a keen driver. If this is the case, they would be better off with smaller rims.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I have a "poverty spec" Golf GTi. (how very celtic tiger) Its great, lovely car. A good mix of poke, room, fun and funcionality. The only thing I would change is the Air con, I have none and would like it. I had no reason to get the DSG gearbox. Test drove it and honestly couldn't feel the difference in speed its so minimal.

What exactly are Xenon lights?

• Advertisement

I'm with Mark here (just cos everyone else is against him :D). The 18's do wonders for the appearance with negligible impact on ride comfort. IMy last car was an A3 on 17's, and that was horrendously stiff. The Golf is like an S-Class in comparison.
    Any time I see one with the standard wheels, I think "why didn't you spend the few extra bucks!".

Xenons are the gas-discharge type headlamps you see in most high-end cars these days, with the bright white light. I too am sorry I didn't get them now. Sorry I didn't spend a few extra quid!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Thanks. I'm educated now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I'm with Mark here (just cos everyone else is against him :D). The 18's do wonders for the appearance with negligible impact on ride comfort. IMy last car was an A3 on 17's, and that was horrendously stiff. The Golf is like an S-Class in comparison.
    Any time I see one with the standard wheels, I think "why didn't you spend the few extra bucks!".

Xenons are the gas-discharge type headlamps you see in most high-end cars these days, with the bright white light. I too am sorry I didn't get them now. Sorry I didn't spend a few extra quid!

Just get them put in now.You can buy them on ebay or german sites cheaper than VW :)

Like I said, it depends on your priorities. It's clear that you value appearance highly. If the look of the 18" wheels makes you happy then so be it. On our roads, though, 18"s will slow any car down. This may not be relevant to you, but there is a passing chance that the buyer of a Golf GTI will be a keen driver. If this is the case, they would be better off with smaller rims.

Well yeah, I think appearance is important on a car like that. We're not talking about upgrading from 15" to 16" wheels on your Fiesta Zetec here we're talking about the original hot hatch. Just like my car has the upgraded 19s cause they look so much better.

I do agree with you about the types of roads Anan but I've driven to lots of off the beaten track roads in Ireland in a MKV GTI with 18s and it was fine.

I've seen 911s with S buttons not do much in the real world so I doubt having an extra inch of wheel on your GTI is going to slow you down by anything you would ever notice.
    there is a passing chance that the buyer of a Golf GTI will be a keen driver.

LOL. Ah sure, I hate cars.

drdre wrote: »
    Just get them put in now.You can buy them on ebay or german sites cheaper than VW :)

Really? I don't think its as simple as that. Xenons have all sorts of gadgetry underneath, such as auto-self leveling, not to mention the obligatory headlamp washers, and from what I've read its next to impossible to retro-fit all that.
    You can upgrade the existing halogen bulbs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Some great discussion here, thanks lads...

Manual or DSG? - I still don't know. DSG would be a novelty and it's kinda like an F1 gearchange which is REALLY cool! But I like shifting cogs and don't drive much in stop/start conditions. Instead Climate Control would be almost a must and Xenons would also be useful. As I said, I'd be considering a slightly used example so it might depend on what comes up.

As for the 17''/18'' debate (Mark, Anan - break it up!) I agree with Mark that the 18'' look great but I think the 17s would be more practical for the roads I drive. These are 17's right? They don't look so poverty spec!
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=783290
    Still the 18s are luvverely!

I love the seat patterns on the GTI - I read somewhere they're a respectful nod to fabrics used in the GTI Mk I. Just because of that i'd prefer them to leather!

Yep, those are the 17's. "Poverty spec" is probably a tad harsh alright!
    Yeah, the tartan seats are a nod to the original MK1. Some like them, some hate them... but when leather is a 2,500 option, its easy to get to like them :)

ok I'll tell you what, I'll change poverty spec to "there are an awful lot of VW GTIs on the road since they got good reviews, a lot of them have 17s and your car will look a bit more special with the 18s if you go for them".

Yours,

The UN. ;)

ok I'll tell you what, I'll change poverty spec to "there are an awful lot of VW GTIs on the road since they got good reviews, a lot of them have 17s and your car will look a bit more special with the 18s if you go for them".

Yours,

The UN. ;)
    I wouldn't disagree with this for a moment. Thing is, the car will be faster on 17"s. So which does the OP prefer - posing or driving?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭v240gltse

hi,

i now have my GTi for over 18 months now and love it. It's fitted with the DSG box which from my experience appears to be a real cracker. However there are times when it comes a little undone. usually once up and running the kick down is spot on and the acceleration linear and instant.

However once warm and taking off form the lights there can be a pause ( what feels like a couple of seconds) before it kicks in and off you go . I'd normally stick it over into manual and then use the paddle shifts to get up to cruising speed and then back into auto.

On back roads I invariably use the paddles as I find the dsg box changing down when I least want or need it to .

Apart from the 2 scenarios above its brilliant. may well get another one in 18 months time.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭omega man

I wouldn't disagree with this for a moment. Thing is, the car will be faster on 17"s. So which does the OP prefer - posing or driving?;)

Am i missing something? Faster on 17's???

omega man wrote: »

I think what he means is that on bumpy, rough surfaced Irish roads, in theory, stiffer suspension and bigger wheels will make driving quickly more difficult and uncomfortable. And increased rolling resistance. But in this case I feel the difference is almost negligible.

v240gltse wrote: »
    hi,

I'd normally stick it over into manual and then use the paddle shifts to get up to cruising speed and then back into auto.

:D

Not a good ad for DSG. I'd bring that to a dealer. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 apple_danish

Hi all,

Considering a Golf GTI DSG 3 DR for my next car. What spec would you reccomend? I'm thinking of the below. Anything else worth having?

Brilliant black paint - I think it looks nicer than mettalic
    18" alloys
    Xenon lights
    Climate control
    Ipod connection with centre armrest
    Multi-function steering wheel with shift paddles

Hi all,

Considering a Golf GTI DSG 3 DR for my next car. What spec would you reccomend? I'm thinking of the below. Anything else worth having?

18" alloys
    Xenon lights
    Climate control

You're pretty much getting all the goodies there really other than leather and sat nav - both very €€€€ of course!
    The flat black does look well - but a bugger to keep, scratches before your very eyes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Hi all,

18" alloys
    Xenon lights
    Climate control

Like JoeA3 says, good spec - but I'd insist on the leather. I wouldn't buy a factory sat-nav from any manufacturer as it will eventually be obsolete and you'll have a useless system. Besides, a portable one can be used in more than one car...........
    Black - fabulous when clean, which is about 1% of the time, around here, so for me I'd for a nice pearl/met blue of some sort.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Isn't there revisions being made to the Golf at some stage in 2008 until the MkVI arrives? Afaik the regular Golf is getting the chrome front grill from the Jetta and new rear led light cluster.

Not sure what they are doing with the GTi though.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Isn't there revisions being made to the Golf at some stage in 2008 until the MkVI arrives? Afaik the regular Golf is getting the chrome front grill from the Jetta and new rear led light cluster.

Not sure what they are doing with the GTi though.

They've been saying that for ages Bazz, but still no confirmation of it... I can see the standard Golf getting the Jetta front-end alright, but the GTI front is highly unlikely to change. Rear lights possibly will though.
    They always make small tweaks every year anyway, e.g. last year making air-con std.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

omega man wrote: »

Well as it happens its true.

(Nerd cap on here:D)18" wheels have more grip(the tyres are wider), and have more resistance to motion(and weigh more), therefore meaning the engine needs to be worked harder to overcome the extra resistance to motion(and weight, though to be fair the weight penalty is very small as in so small you won't notice the difference 99% of the time), so yes they do slow the car down

It is inevitable that they will be worse over the bumps, and because of the whole physics of it as described by me earlier, they will use more fuel and they are noiser too.

The advantages of the bigger wheels are really only aesthetic plus the extra grip when you push on.

Now don't get thinking that what you should do is put on wheelbarrow sized wheels, there will be no grip, and because their resistance to motion will be so small, you will end up with the traction control light on all the time because the wheels can't deal with the power!

• Advertisement

Kinda off topic but not so sure I'd be against factory fitted sat nav apart from the price.

The only thing the sat nav in my car can't do that a portable one is remember where speed cameras are.

BMW will give you a new disc every year for 150 quid once you hand back the original one so from that aspect you can keep up to date, it looks FAR nicer in the car than sticking something onto your dash/windscreen IMO.

I suppose if you are gonna change car a lot then you are gonna save a lot by buying a portable one and moving it from car to car but I think that there is a lot to be said for factory sat nav and most of them are extremely good.

Advertisement