Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nape piercing - pre-needle advice :)

Options
  • 14-10-2007 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭

Right, I'm thinking of taking the plunge (when I scrape the euros together) and having my nape pierced. Think it's a really interesting piercing. But before I do it, can I just ask the masses who have had it done about their experiences?

I haven't had a surface piercing done before so I'm not sure what to expect, but sure that's all part of the fun.

Also this might seem like a silly question, but is it difficult to clean properly considering its the back of the neck?! I'm just thinking I might have issues trying to see it and clean at the same time while also twisting my arms around...! :o

I've heard it's quite common for napes to reject/migrate; best ways to prevent this from happening?

I'll be getting it done in George's Arcade....Ahem, I mean Snakebite, of course...unless anyone can recommend anyone/anywhere better for this. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I'll be getting it done in George's Arcade....Ahem, I mean Snakebite, of course...unless anyone can recommend anyone/anywhere better for this. :D
    Get your bum down to Snakebite and chat to the guys there about it is the best advice I could give you. They will be able to discuss it with you and tell you whats involved the risks of rejection, how to care for it properly... etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

i got mine done about 7months now I think. So easy to look after if its done properly. I forgot mine was even there to be honest. Just get a tissue and drop it in salty water then compress it over the piercing. but i just left mine alone and picked off the crusties.
    snakebite yeah seems to be the people's choice at the moment.

best way to prevent a nape from rejecting is get it done by a competent piercer, dont mess with it, thump any friend who get you in a headlock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Yeah, what Wilburt said, also if someone tries to give you a spontaneous hug knee them in the stomach.

Agreed :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

Brilliant! Thanks! Will be getting it done next time I'm in Dublin, within the next 2-3 weeks...can't wait! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

no

one word answers are so helpful, and a look at your profile shows you like giving them...spam, useless spam

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Dubit10 wrote: »
    no

~~~you're banned, my friend!~~~

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Moisturise the skin beforehand would be my advice. Just let it be quite soft. There'll be a lot of pulling on the skin so it'll make that part more comfortable. GarthV gave me some good advice when my nape went a little diseased. I used an unscented moisturiser around the area and it cleared up within a couple days. Basically the skin at the back of my neck all around the piercing went insane. I'd scratched it in my sleep too. So horrible.

When you're in the shower let the water run over it too to clear away shampoo. Feels like the greatest relief in the world too if it gets itchy. Nothing will beat that feeling! And it won't leave you with terrible marks like scratching will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

Cheers, thanks for all the responses. Hoping to be in Dublin next week so will get it done then :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i've gotten one twice, both rejected very fast. its been a fairfewmonths nowso i'mgonnadoit again,snakebite this time, i wont name and shame the places i got it donelast time...but i assureyou i wont be returning, i regretted it after 5 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

do name and shame, or dya want other people to make the same mistakes?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 felixthecat

I got mine done in Snakebite few months back as well, was a bit sore but defo worth it. It's my fav out a lot I've gotten done... Sanskebite are doing a deal for returning customers, I got an email into my Junkmail box there last week, a trip will have to be made soon I reckon! :o Hope it has gone grand!

Yup, and deals on till end of January! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

What's the deal about? I got my tat there but no piercings yet. Thinking of redecorating a little and getting some new piercings now that one of my older ones is gone. Would I be eligible?

And btw I hate my nape piercing now! I got my shoulders all tense from lifting stuff and it's killing me because my neck tensed up too.

The deal is a discount on any work done, but ya need to show proof to get it

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

Firstly, apologies for resurrecting an old thread but I've seen loads of "nape piercings" so thought better of creating a new thread.

Anyways, I'm planning on getting this done this weekend but I've a few questions I wanted to ask before going for it.

1. I've very thick skin, will this make the healing process harder?
    2. How likely will it reject? I've had 2 rejections on the bottom of my navel before so does that make any difference to how my body will handle the nape? I had no problem with the top of my navel or my nipple.
    3. In comparison to other piercings, how would you rate the pain factor?
    4. Where did you get yours done?

I'll have a chat with the piercer beforehand obviously, but just wanted your input to help me decide whether to go ahead with it or not :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭!!!

I don't think your tough skin would affect healing whatsoever. Ironically, today I read about some guy who recommended moisturising your nape for a few days prior to piercing, just so everything would go smoother.
    Personally, I have never heard of that and it doesn't sound effective/useful.
    Rejection completly depends on placement, jewellery and how well you care for it.
    A friend of mine has her nape pierced; and since she has gotten it, she has been forbidden from wearing any type of necklace and she cuts the tag off all her tops.
    For best results go with a titanium surface barbell with small/medium ball ends.

By the way, have you ever looked into microdermals?

EDIT: Oh, you're from Cork. Smiley Dogg is the only place in Cork I would recommend going for a surface piercing. Both of the piercers I have seen in there have well done, healed surface piercings themselves.
    A piercer that sometimes works in Smiley Dogg will be at the Midleton tattoo expo by the way, if you're heading down there I would definitly look out for her.

Thanks !!! :) I'm actually living in Dublin now even though I have heard great things about Smiley Dogg... Hrmmm... Maybe I'll pop in for a visit when I'm down and get a different piercing there!

I cared for my navel really really well - more so than my other piercings tbh - but it still rejected... twice :(

In regards to my nape, I don't wear necklaces, so that won't be a problem for me. Cutting tags off tops is a good idea though- thanks!

I think microdermals look deadly but I still haven't mustered up the courage to think about them yet. Maybe in like a year or 2... I have it in my head that microdermals are hardcore and i'm not there yet!!

Steve in Snakebite is a deadly piercer, and I know that when he did my mates nape piercing she said he was great, and she has had no real problems with it beyond people bumping it when it was new

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

!!! wrote: »

By the way, have you ever looked into microdermals?

meant to be really bad idea from piercers i've spoken to, i was gonna do it after 3 nape rejections, ended up going to a half decent piercer and got my nape redone, 5 months later its perfect

Cheers Damo- Snakebite is just down the street from me here at work so I might pop down to them after work today or tomorrow.

melekalikimaka, where did you get yours done?

Aspiration wrote: »
    Cheers Damo- Snakebite is just down the street from me here at work so I might pop down to them after work today or tomorrow.

melekalikimaka, where did you get yours done?

snakebite, he wouldnt do it for 4 months til the previous one healed, your pretty much sorted if ya go there,been to a few other places and really cant stress how good they are

Sounds like Snakebite it is then! Thank you!

Steve is deadly, he'll have a good chat with you about the piercing, explain everything, make sure everything is ok to do it, how to look after it and will make sure you're happy with it all.

Gets two thumbs up from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭I Concur

How much does it cost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

i got mine done and it rejected pretty bad after a few months :( left a big nasty scar :( the piercing itself didnt hurt at all and it was easy enough to clean,I dont regret getting it, snake bite ftw!!!:D

Advertisement