Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do wit empties????

Options
  • 14-10-2007 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Whats the best way to get rid of empty cartridges,i do alot of clay shooting and was wondering is there a recyclable way of getin rid of them,cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Tom Donnavan

I know some dealers in my area (Donegal) are glad to take them off you but i have been meaning to talk to a scrap merchant about this myself. Scrap copper has doubled in price this last few years so the dealers are probably turning a pound(euro) on it .

Do you go to a range or do you have a portable clay thrower?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but the bases of shotshells and rifle cartridges are brass, not copper.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

AllI know is, I have about 400 in the boot of my car and they will probably go in my bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but the bases of shotshells and rifle cartridges are brass, not copper.

Brass all the way. :D
    FYI :cool:
    "The reason for HIGH-BRASS goes back to paper hulls. Paper hulls often produced pinhole burn-through(s) parallel to hull powder containment section. When the powder amount was higher than the brass section a burn through could occur. Magnum (additional powder height) paper shotshells were made with a higher brass head to protect against burn through. In those days of past it was not a gimmick but a necessity. With plastic hulls of today this is no longer needed except I doubt if the average hunter pays attention to or even knows what "dram" or "fps" means. I suspect ammo companies continue to use high brass because marketing surveys have told them customers associate high brass with power".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Well I do not shoot as much anymore, (home thrower mostly) so I am saving my hulls in anticipation of a change in the rules. :D
    Of course that may be all for nought but hope springs eternal.
    May have to enclose another bay on the hayshed at the current rate of progress though. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

plastic and metal - drop them into the recyclable bin for collection by refuse men.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

The Bottoms of shotgun cases arent brass! More like
    brass coloured. considering places
    pick of the shells up with magnets its probably some cheaper metal
    with a brass coating. (ie Brass is not magnetic)

A friend checked out the local re-cycle centre about accepting
    spend shot gun cartridges. A local guy that teaches Clays
    was saying how much it costs to dispose of them.

They would not accept them as they were both metal and plastic.
    They said if the metal was sperated from the plastic then they
    could take them but this would have to be done before bringing
    it to the recycle place.
    (Cutting the plastic from the metal would not be ideal)

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭suttongun

I shoot once a week in a range just outside waterford and would shoot a manual clay thrower now and again,i heard of someone removing the plastic off of the cartridge with a home made device,it would be better to recycle them rather than just throwing them out,i have about 1500 in my shed now,anyone know any info about lincoln shotguns?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

You should keep them in the back seat of your car rather than the shed, then when you are feeling lonely just drive around until you find a check point, the Guards will talk to you for ages!

I never said they were made of copper but if the price of copper went up and steel certainely has gone up chances are brass is up also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭2347

suttongun wrote: »
    Whats the best way to get rid of empty cartridges,i do alot of clay shooting and was wondering is there a recyclable way of getin rid of them,cheers

I don't know anything about shooting but can't you reload empty shotgun cartridges? I am probably wrong.

2347 wrote: »
    I don't know anything about shooting but can't you reload empty shotgun cartridges? I am probably wrong.

not legally at the minute.

Advertisement