Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAM types for laptop

Options
  • 14-10-2007 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I figured I'd get a better response in the tweaking/modding forum more than the laptop forum (mods feel free to move) . Anways I want to revive my laptop that I havent used in months by replacing the 256mb RAM with a gig.

It's a 2 Ghz Celeron with 256mb RAM Compaq presario 2100. komplett tell me that it can accept so-dimm DDR - pc 2700 and pc3200 ram (two memory slots - max capacity 1GB) Komplett recommended RAM -

however as you can see - the crucial isn't that cheap - I was looking on the next page here.
    Id like the best Ram I can get for about €60 - €70 as I dont want to spend too much as i can see myself replacing this in a few months.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.cpuid.com/

Run it it, the last tab will tell you how many slots you have and the exacty type of RAM you currently have in the laptop.

http://shop4memory.com - are another place to try for ram, there are many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Velocitee

Thanks,

According to CPU-Z, current RAM is:

Memory SPD

DIMM #1

General
    Memory type DDR
    Manufacturer (ID) Samsung (CE00000000000000)
    Size 256 MBytes
    Max bandwidth PC2100 (133 MHz)
    Part number M4 70L3224DT0-CB0
    Serial number 45029E61
    Manufacturing date Week 03/Year 03

Attributes
    Number of banks 2
    Data width 64 bits
    Correction None
    Registered no
    Buffered no
    Nominal Voltage 2.50 Volts
    EPP no
    XMP no

Timings table
    Frequency (MHz) 100 133
    CAS# 2.0 2.5
    RAS# to CAS# delay 2 3
    RAS# Precharge 2 3
    TRAS 5 6

Also my exact model Presario is a 2114EA . When I google RAM for this it all comes up as PC2100 type - although Komplett's Crucial tool suggest PC2700 and PC3200 for the Presario 2100 series.

I am aware that RAM will 'throttle' down to PC2100 if that's the maximum allowed for on the machine. I'm just wondering if my machine supports a better RAM type than PC2100 - and therefore if it's worth getting the PC3200 if all it's going to do is throttle down.

Hope this make sense?

Also I'd much appreciate if anyone could help me with this fast as I want to order the RAM tonight (I'm impatient :) - plus Im typing this on the laptop now - system is so slow it's killing me lol :) )

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

yeah there is no point in ordering faster RAM, unless you can move it to a newer laptop later, and memory changes too fast to spend any extra for that.

The memory on sale seems to be 266MHz but I don't know if that is just because they don't have any slower in stock.

http://memory.neon-drive.com/s4m.php?model_num=1150&oemid=HC&thisman=COMPAQ-HP

Available upgrades for the COMPAQ-HP Presario 2100EA (2102EA 2104EA 2105EA 2108EA 2114EA)

Step 3: Select the memory size you require and press the 'buy now' button to place your order

Standard memory: 128/256/512MB R
    Maximum memory: 1GB
    Upgrade slots: 2

512MB MEMORY MODULE FOR Presario 2100EA (2102EA 2104EA 2105EA 2108EA 2114EA)
    TS512MCQ9087
    269087-B25 285524-001 DC390A
    Transcend

€46 inc vat and delivery

hey, saw that (bit pricey for the age of the machine)

will this RAM work?

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=124124

I realise it's PC 3200 but it's a lot cheaper

• Advertisement

Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yes it should run at the lower speed fine. I reckon 768mb is enough, i.e dont bother buying 2 sticks, it's an old machine and a 2Ghz Celeron isn't up to much, so no point throwing money into something as you said, you might be replacing soon. 768mb is plenty for normal usage in XP. Unless, of course, you're a serious multi-tasker, which I doubt you were if you were running 256mb all this time.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

2020.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

BOFH_139 wrote: »
    2020.ie

Do they even have prices or a catalog that I could browse? All I could find was a "Enter your system type and we will show you what could fit in there"... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭jk2001

Hi Velocitee,

Did you get yourself sorted with new memory? I am just curious to hear how you got on :)

-jayo

Advertisement