Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing network

• 14-10-2007 3:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭

Planning on changing network, currently I'm with Vodafone but want to change to Metoer. How do I do it and does it cost me?

On another note does Meteor have webtext like Vodafone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

meteor has 300 free webtext.

If you are prepay then it costs nothing to change network. You will lose any credit or offers with your current network though.

If you're bill and out of contract there's no cost if you give your 30 days notice of your intention to port. If in contract you will have to buy out. Ring network to check costs.

Make sure you get your phone unlocked before you move so you can use it with your new operator.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Usually doesnt cost anything but i'd need more info- bill pay/prepay?

Looked at any tariffs? Would you need a new phone?

Meteor do web texts afaik, but they canno tbe used internationally.
    edit : oops, you got their first. :)

if prepay go into a meteor dealer with phone and sim and they will do the rest,

If bill go in with your most recent bill and a passport of drivers license. They will do the rest.

Sorry for two posts. Still getting to grips with this n95

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I'm have a prepay phone.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

To the best of my knowledge you need to go into a meteor store with phone and sim, they will make you sign a network release form, and thats it. Be aware you need a phone which will accept a meteor sim or you'll be fecked. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

SDooM wrote: »
    To the best of my knowledge you need to go into a meteor store with phone and sim, they will make you sign a network release form, and thats it. Be aware you need a phone which will accept a meteor sim or you'll be fecked. :)

meteor don't need any forms signed. make sure the sales person copies your phone book to your new sim OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

meteor don't need any forms signed. make sure the sales person copies your phone book to your new sim OP

all I had to do was tell them my old number :)

towel401 wrote: »
    all I had to do was tell them my old number :)
    Did they not ring your old number to verify or anything?

This pisses me off about the whole porting process. When a network agent doesn't do their job and some person could have their number effectively stolen.

ciaranfo wrote: »
    Did they not ring your old number to verify or anything?

This pisses me off about the whole porting process. When a network agent doesn't do their job and some person could have their number effectively stolen.

nope. just as well, because i had left my sim card at home on the day.

maybe they have added a few extra layers of bureaucracy in recent times to make sure nobody's number gets 'stolen'. but it seems a bit unlikely to me that someone will walk into the shop and tell them someone elses number. i spose there is always some twat who will chance it

How does it seem unlikely? People are trying to **** with people every single day.

My stealing comment aside, what if the guy in the shop takes the number down wrong or doesn't hear the person correctly? Even an innocent mistake can **** someone else over and it really shouldn't be so easy.

• Advertisement

How does it seem unlikely? People are trying to **** with people every single day.

My stealing comment aside, what if the guy in the shop takes the number down wrong or doesn't hear the person correctly? Even an innocent mistake can **** someone else over and it really shouldn't be so easy.

they do ask for your name & address i think. i must port another number over and see what happens. maybe they check if the details match the previous sim cause it takes a few hours

towel401 wrote: »
    they do ask for your name & address i think. i must port another number over and see what happens. maybe they check if the details match the previous sim cause it takes a few hours
    One operator doesn't have access to another operators registration details at that level - data protection act.

The name and address (and dob) is for your registration with the new operator.

Porting can take as little as 2 mins (Vodafone quote this on their website) at times.

One operator doesn't have access to another operators registration details at that level - data protection act.

The name and address (and dob) is for your registration with the new operator.

Porting can take as little as 2 mins (Vodafone quote this on their website) at times.

at least they shouldnt. i'll port another number and let you know how i get on. it took a few hours for mine. before the few hours were up i had some old 085 number which is still hard coded into my sim card as 'my number'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

ported an old meteor number in carphone warehouse and was only asked what the number was and was it pre-pay as bill-pay would take longer!

Advertisement