Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Porcupine Tree

• 14-10-2007 3:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭

I know there was a thread about them some time ago, but I have a new found appreciation for this amazing band. I just picked up "Fear of a Blank Planet" and I must say it's possibly the best to date. Anesthetise is an unreal track, possibly the best Porcupine Tree song ever IMO. What do the rest of you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Haven't actually got that album. It's been on my to do list for a while, but I've just not been buying many albums as of late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Really good album, would agree that it could be their best to date. Saw them on the most recent tour and it sounds even better live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I have to say, I don't really see the fuss about Porcupine Tree. I gave them another bash a couple of months ago and they just sound bland, like some combination of RATM and King Crimson but with all the really interesting bits left out.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

John wrote: »
    ...like some combination of RATM and King Crimson but with all the really interesting bits left out.

?
    You sure it was Porcupine Tree you were listening to?

Fear of a Blank Planet is a cracking album, Anesthetise is my favourite and you've gotta love that kick ass riff 3/4's of the way through the title track!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

fortuneg wrote: »
    ?
    You sure it was Porcupine Tree you were listening to?

Yeah, I think it was the Deadwing album, definite shades of RATM with the guitar on some of the tracks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

I've two or three of their albums i think and tbh i don't get the hype, i found them to be pretty boring :| They put me to sleep.
    A lot of my friends were singing their praises recommending them to me. Maybe my expectations were too high haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

I bought Deadwing a couple of months back based on the praises sang on this site. I thought it was great and recently bought the latest which I find even better.

I believe the earlier stuff is not as heavy, if you can call it heavy, any recommendations on what to get next?

Do you think there is a possibility of an Irish date on their current tour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Nea wrote: »
    I believe the earlier stuff is not as heavy, if you can call it heavy, any recommendations on what to get next?

Do you think there is a possibility of an Irish date on their current tour?

The older stuff is more rock than metal, and much more psychadelic/electronic. I'd recommend In Absentia next, you could just work your way back. I sure hope they play here sometime, there's a lot of people I know who'd go to that gig.

Speaking of the earlier stuff, I got Up The Downstair and The Sky Moves Sideways the other day, both fantastic, Steven Wilson can make some amazing music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Nea wrote: »
    if you can call it heavy, any recommendations on what to get next?

Signify and the Sky Moves Sideways.

Also, FOABP is one of their best albums, cracking stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

I'm not the biggest fan of the older stuff, but the new album is fantastic. It's got some great heavy bits. I also love the last track which is a bit of cover of The Beloved - Sweet Harmony. It streams in good quality on this fansite: http://www.fearofablankplanet.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

mp3guy wrote: »
    The older stuff is more rock than metal, and much more psychadelic/electronic. music

Thats fine by me, when I heard them first I was reminded a little of Air who I love also.

Thanks for all suggestions but In Absentia seems to be the next likely purchase, I will get them all eventually anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭BleakestH

John wrote: »
    they just sound bland, like some combination of RATM and King Crimson but with all the really interesting bits left out.
    Haha lol! Have you actually listened to the same band we're talking about here? Clean out your ears please, how many bands have you listened to, 5? Mustn't be very many if you use RATM as a reference point for PT...lol!

On a different note, FOABP is an amazing album, sees the band continuing in a heavier vein, and is a step up from Deadwing imo. I also ordered the limited edition double LP version last week. Only 1000 printed. Sweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 418 ✭✭:Keith:

Just wondering if any of you have listened to the "Nil Recurring" EP. It's only 4 tracks but its some good stuff. Robert Fripp plays on the track Nil Recurring too.

Yeah Nil Recurring is great, the song's arent quite as strong as the ones on FOABP, but they're still great. The EP is included with the LP edition of the album, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭redenemyjoe

only recently been introduced to these guys (love u jay) ....sensational band, cant get enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

:Keith: wrote: »
    Just wondering if any of you have listened to the "Nil Recurring" EP. It's only 4 tracks but its some good stuff. Robert Fripp plays on the track Nil Recurring too.

Hmm, I'll have to check that one out myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

They are on Tour at the moment, wish i could see them.:(

They played here during the tour for In Absentia and barely anyone came, it was a disgrace...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

BleakestH wrote: »
    They played here during the tour for In Absentia and barely anyone came, it was a disgrace...

Really? What date and venue?

<edit>

Nevermind, found it;

03 Mar 2003 - Temple Bar Music Centre, Dublin, Ireland

Bent, I wasn't a fan back then.

Advertisement