Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batteries: The ins, outs and how to's

Options
  • 14-10-2007 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭

Throwing it out to the forum for all you techy types and propeller heads.

For example, how do you know how long to charge a battery for? Is there a formula that gives you even a rough estimate?

Whats the story with the different types of Battery (NiCD, NiMH and LiPO)?

Is there an explanation that idiots can use to understand how voltage and MaH work?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Fiach Dubh

To start the ball rolling the mAh of a battery is the packs storage capacity, the higher the mAh the longer the battery will last. The voltage is the potential energy rating of the pack i.e. a 9.6v battery pack has a potential of 9.6v's but this may not be the amount drawn by the circuit, there are a number of factors such as circuit loads that define the actual current. For example I tested the voltage of my FN SCAR once with an 8.4v battery, the circuit reading was 8.1v.

What amp's to charge the battery at is a bit more difficult. Some packs have the amps rating printed on them but many don't, including most clone packs. A lot of chargers don't allow you to set the amps either but the more expensive smart chargers usually do. One way to find the operating amps would be to check the amp reading when the battery is being used in circuit with the AEG, not really recommended if you have no electrionics experiance, it requires using a multimeter and there are a number of rules i.e. you cut into the active circuit for amps, read across the active circuit for volts and read across the inactive circuit for Ohms (resistance/Impedance)

Most batteries are charged between 2 and 3.5 Amps.

There is a formula for working out charge times;

Battery capacity in mAh multiplied by 1.4 divided by charger output in mAh

Example: 1800 mAh battery X1.4 = 2520 Divided by 350 (chargers mAh output) = 7.2 Charge time 7.2 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

So is it possible to damage a battery by charging it with a different amp charger? Like will a lower amp output be slower but have no negative effect but a high one may damage it?

Will it affect end performance in the aeg?

Also with a nimh, when you leave it charged does voltage always drop and does it need to be discharged and then charged or just put back on the charger directly?

Advertisement