Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't get í and ú anymore on IE

Options
  • 14-10-2007 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

Hi

The keyboard shortcuts 'Alt Gr + i' and 'Alt Gr + u' have stopped generating í and ú and are now generating the Italics and Underline tags on Internet Explorer on my computers both at home and at work (there's no problem with Firefox). Can these shortcuts be put back the way they were?

Thanks
    Dranoel
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I don't think this is a boards.ie issue, perhaps better off here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=105

Open a Notepad document and see if it works there. (Start > Run > notepad > enter)

Check your windows and Firefox language settings. Have you upgraded either recently?

You can always get them from the Character Map (Start > Run > charmap > enter)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭dranoel

Victor wrote: »
    I don't think this is a boards.ie issue, perhaps better off here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=105

Open a Notepad document and see if it works there. (Start > Run > notepad > enter)

I believe this is boards: Notepad, Word, Firefox all running fine, it's just when I'm trying to write a post in Irish on boards with IE.
    Check your windows and Firefox language settings. Have you upgraded either recently?

I haven't adjusted any language settings. Two seperate non-networked computers running different versions of IE have changed how they behave for 'Alt Gr + i' or 'Alt Gr + u' when posting on boards. They are now behaving as if I pressed 'Ctrl + i' or 'Ctrl + u' giving the italics and underline tags.
    You can always get them from the Character Map (Start > Run > charmap > enter)

Thanks for the suggestion but I have to say it is a very poor substitute. Keyboards which are configured regionally for Ireland have the 'Alt Gr' keystroke as standard so that it is straightforward to type accented vowels in Irish.

1. áéíóú

2. áéó

Ah, I see the problem. I don't think that you used to be able to input Ctrl + B to make [-b-][-/-b-] (minus -) pop-up on yor screen before the upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Myth wrote: »
    2. áéó

Ah, I see the problem. I don't think that you used to be able to input Ctrl + B to make [-b-][-/-b-] (minus -) pop-up on yor screen before the upgrade.

Yeah ya could, the same way as ctrl+i gives you
    [.i][./i]

íúá

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

dranoel wrote: »
    Hi

The keyboard shortcuts 'Alt Gr + i' and 'Alt Gr + u' have stopped generating í and ú and are now generating the Italics and Underline tags on Internet Explorer on my computers both at home and at work (there's no problem with Firefox). Can these shortcuts be put back the way they were?

Thanks
    Dranoel

use firefox and head over the microsoft website and complain bitterly.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Have you tried changing the message editor in your user cp?

Gordon wrote: »
    Have you tried changing the message editor in your user cp?

I changed my option from "Standard Editor - extra formatting controls" to "Enhanced Editor - Full WYSIWYG Editing" and hooray - íú.

Strange, I was expecting more with the "enhanced option" but it looks the same as "standard". Why 'Alt Gr' works differently in "standard" is a mystery to me.

Thanks Gordon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

It's due to accesskey bindings used in "standard".

Talliesin wrote: »
    It's due to accesskey bindings used in "standard".

Why are the accesskey bindings now different for "enhanced" and
    "standard". It doesn't make sense to me, where's the consistency? It's creating a new hidden hurdle to anyone coming to Boards wishing to use Irish and IE. How are they supposed to know that they will have to use "enhanced".

I'm still asking for 'Alt Gr' to be put back the way it was please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Was the previous editor the standard or the enhanced editor? I thought we only had two, and now we have three, I could be wrong. If I am right then maybe we have been upgraded to the newer editor automagically, and all profiles will now use this as default. Although, I could be wrong.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

just a note that like the OP alt gr + letter used to work fine for me until the upgrade (using IE7). It definitely is the upgrade to boards that has stopped it working.

However I moved to IE7 mainly due to the fact that a lot more features worked on boards with it than firefox so will probably move back.

As the OP says, everyone on IE looks like the will be getting different behaviour since the upgrade, if the 'enhanced' editor now gives closer results to what the 'standard' editor did before the upgrade we should make it the default.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Gordon wrote: »
    Was the previous editor the standard or the enhanced editor? I thought we only had two, and now we have three, I could be wrong. If I am right then maybe we have been upgraded to the newer editor automagically, and all profiles will now use this as default. Although, I could be wrong.
    The basic has always been there (well for the past few years anyway).

The enhanced doesn't give you many right click options.

I suggest using the standard one.

Another user caught out here:

"I've never said Cad é mar atá tu (fada doesn't work on the u for some reason!!)"

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54202534&postcount=6

Advertisement