Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless adapter

• 14-10-2007 5:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭

Got a wireless adapter today as my computer is down the hall from my Xbox. Can't work the adapter now though. Been trying over an hour, really pissing me off. It asks for things such as Masknet and gateway which I haven't a clue how to find. It keeps asking for my IP adress even though I've typed it in correctly.

Can anybody help me please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

use dhcp instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭djfattony2000

Are you using a wireless router to distribute your internet to the xbox or are you trying to do it with just a wireless card in the pc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

ntlbell wrote: »
    use dhcp instead?

WTF is that? I don't know anything on how to set this up, if I did I wouldn't be posting here.

Are you using a wireless router to distribute your internet to the xbox or are you trying to do it with just a wireless card in the pc?

Don't understand anything you just said. I have my adapter plugged in to the Xbox and I changed the internet settings on my comp so other devices could use the same connection. That's all I've done regarding the computer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

If you've not changed anything on your router then it is probably setup for DHCP.

You should make sure the 360's networking settings are all on automatic so that it will automatically obtain an IP address.

Where did you get it? I'm looking for the 360 wireless adapter but I want it cheaper than most stores seem to be selling it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

brim4brim wrote: »
    If you've not changed anything on your router then it is probably setup for DHCP.

You should make sure the 360's networking settings are all on automatic so that it will automatically obtain an IP address.

Where did you get it? I'm looking for the 360 wireless adapter but I want it cheaper than most stores seem to be selling it.

you can pick up an official one on ebay for 35e or so

• Advertisement

brim4brim wrote: »

What is DHCP? Can you tell me how to set it up?

I got it in Smyhts as I didn't want to wait for it to be shipped, cnuts charged me 80 euro but that's what it's going for over here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭helios

helios wrote: »

Thanks for being so helpful and telling me how to set it up [/endsarcasm].

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭djfattony2000

moneyman wrote: »

You're quite cheeky for someone looking for help....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

moneyman, DCHP is basically just an automatic way of assigning an ip address to a computer (or 360 in this case). Just go into network settings and select the ip address section and choose "automatic". Then you just enter your wireless network/router details.

What ISP are you with?

• Advertisement

Maybe once you're done learning how to setup your wireless, you can learn some basic HTML as well. The '/' indicated that it's the end of tag... you don't have to add the word 'end' in there... the end of a tag is indicated with the forward slash

You're quite cheeky for someone looking for help....

No I'm not. If he had actually been helpful then I wouldn't have said anything, that coupled with the fact that I was annoyed cause I couldn't set it up.

moneyman, DCHP is basically just an automatic way of assigning an ip address to a computer (or 360 in this case). Just go into network settings and select the ip address section and choose "automatic". Then you just enter your wireless network/router details.

What ISP are you with?

Thanks for the reply. I'm with lastmile (going to change whenever I can). How do I find my wireless network/router details? There's so much info I don't know what to fill in and what to leave.

Maybe once you're done learning how to setup your wireless, you can learn some basic HTML as well. The '/' indicated that it's the end of tag... you don't have to add the word 'end' in there... the end of a tag is indicated with the forward slash

Maybe once you're done giving lessons on something I don't care about, you can go and learn some grammar. A full stop (".") should be at the end of a sentence, unless it's a question or needs an exclamation mark. Thank you and goodbye.

Oh btw, do I have to have my live gold activated before I can even connect to online? Could that be the reason it won't connect...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Look at how rude I can be while looking for help without even doing simple basic google searchs to find the info I need, and if I you don't answer my questions at the most basic level I will insult you..etc

Got it working yet?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

No I'm not. If he had actually been helpful then I wouldn't have said anything, that coupled with the fact that I was annoyed cause I couldn't set it up.

Actually I think you are being a bit cheeky for someone looking for free technical support. Keep it up and I'll ban you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

You are being a sap, you asked for help and these people went out of their way to try and talk you through it. Just because you dont know what DHCP is doesnt mean you get carte blanche to give cheek. What do you want? someone to come over to your gaff and do it for you? read that wiki article and do some research, you've been given some helpful tips here combine everything and create a solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

1) ok what type of internet connection do you have, is it broadband and if so with who.

2) what type of "modem" do you have and is it wireless, if it is wireless it will probably have some sort of antenna on it.

A-Trak wrote: »
    Got it working yet?;)

No. Thanks for the help.

Actually I think you are being a bit cheeky for someone looking for free technical support. Keep it up and I'll ban you.

I made one remark because I was annoyed I couldn't/can't get it working. Stop blowing it out of proportion.

You are being a sap, you asked for help and these people went out of their way to try and talk you through it. Just because you dont know what DHCP is doesnt mean you get carte blanche to give cheek. What do you want? someone to come over to your gaff and do it for you? read that wiki article and do some research, you've been given some helpful tips here combine everything and create a solution.

Sap :D. No, some people went out of the way (and I said thanks as it was helpful). One comment just said HDCP (or w/e it is). I clearly said I don't know how to use/access it, so I didn't receive any help. Can people stop using the word cheek? It's getting silly. I didn't ask for anyone to come over to my house, I only asked for help (which I got in abundance, from about one user).

Close the thread if you're just going to keep trying to start an argument over it.

jsb wrote: »
    1) ok what type of internet connection do you have, is it broadband and if so with who.

2) what type of "modem" do you have and is it wireless, if it is wireless it will probably have some sort of antenna on it.

Thank you for a normal response.

1) I have broadband, with lastmile.

2) AFAIK it's wirless (not connected to the phoneline, just a box that connects to computer), but it doesn't have any antennae on it.

If I reading the site correctly, lastmile is a wireless internet provider, but in a different way than the Xbox uses. Lastmile is a municiple wireless provider, where as the Xbox uses Wifi which connects at much shorter ranges. Also, the lastmile box will only connect to their anntenna's and the Xbox wifi is probably a different type of standard. If lastmile is connected to the PC, you'll need to buy a wireless router which will let you a) connect your PC via wired connectiong and b) allow your Xbox to connect via Wifi.

Edit: Lastmile seems to only be 1Mb which *may* be too slow for Live...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

1Mb should be enough. It's your upload speed that's more important on XBL.

It's not really clear from their site but from the looks of it the broadband box Last Mile provide isn't even a router let alone a wireless one. It's just for connecting to their wireless service. I assume they set up your pc using PPPoE and ran an ethernet cable to the box. So OP you're going to need to get a wireless router. The 360 wireless adapter is useless unless it has something to connect to.

I'd really recommend getting a friend or someone who's familiar with all this in to help you.

Thanks for the responses, really clears things up a bit. So I need a new router? Are these dear?

If things can't get sorted out, do you think I'd be as well of getting one long crossover cable to lead from my Xbox to my broadband box? Or would that even work?

Also, would a simple switch from lastmile to Eircom do the trick? As in would I get a router with it that would work?

Cheers.

Thanks for the responses, really clears things up a bit. So I need a new router? Are these dear?
    Well first you should make sure that what you currently have isn't already a router. I'm just assuming that it isn't based on the Lastmile website. Routers are fairly cheap now days. But you'd probably need one that supports PPPoE and has a WAN port, a DSL router wouldn't work.
    If things can't get sorted out, do you think I'd be as well of getting one long crossover cable to lead from my Xbox to my broadband box? Or would that even work?
    Probably, yes. But if I'm right about the Last Mile box not being a router then you'd need the PPPoE settings from your computer and you'd have to disconnect your pc every time you wanted to go on Xbox Live. This could cause added complications. Also it would be a waste of the 80 euro you spent on the adapter.
    Also, would a simple switch from lastmile to Eircom do the trick? As in would I get a router with it that would work?
    Yes, this is probably the best solution imo. Afaik Eircom provide a Netopia wireless router as standard which should work fine. You may experience some NAT issues which may limit who you can connect to online but there's ways around it afaik.

If I were to buy a new router, would this work? http://cgi.ebay.com/ASUS-WL-520GU-WIRELESS-ROUTER-802-11B-G-USB-PRINTER-NEW_W0QQitemZ300159898356QQihZ020QQcategoryZ44997QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I can't seem to grasp what it all means, just too complicated for me. I'm guessing that would work? Easy to setup?

Well first you should make sure that what you currently have isn't already a router. I'm just assuming that it isn't based on the Lastmile website. Routers are fairly cheap now days. But you'd probably need one that supports PPPoE and has a WAN port, a DSL router wouldn't work.

Probably, yes. But if I'm right about the Last Mile box not being a router then you'd need the PPPoE settings from your computer and you'd have to disconnect your pc every time you wanted to go on Xbox Live. This could cause added complications. Also it would be a waste of the 80 euro you spent on the adapter.

Yes, this is probably the best solution imo. Afaik Eircom provide a Netopia wireless router as standard which should work fine. You may experience some NAT issues which may limit who you can connect to online but there's ways around it afaik.

Thanks, only problem with Eircom is I don't know when they'll be available in my area. I'll just have to wait :(

How do I find out if what I have is a router? I'm pretty sure it isn't, it has no antennae and I don't see how it could give off a signal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

If your online, have a look for something like this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Linksys-Wireless-G-Broadband-Router-SB-WRT54GS-UK-v4-0_W0QQitemZ190161058928QQihZ009QQcategoryZ44997QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Linksys are basically cisco ( who are top class when it comes to networking)

if your gonna use ebay use ebay.co.uk instead of usa cos of the voltage difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

have a look at the box you have and let me know what it is

Name & model no.

does it have any extra ports for you to insert network cables into, does it have a WLAN light on it

AdrianII wrote: »
    have a look at the box you have and let me know what it is

Name & model no.

does it have any extra ports for you to insert network cables into, does it have a WLAN light on it

If you can wait two mins I'll have it for you. It's premium, 20 gig HD with a HDMI slot. I'll find the rest of the details now, hang on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

im pretty sure he means your modem

• Advertisement

weeder wrote: »
    im pretty sure he means your modem

It's a lastmile modem. As we've found out, I don't think the Xbox can connect to that box. It has no antennae and just connects wirelessly to the 'net, it's not a router.

Advertisement