Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

Hi Sam. Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I don't see that Editing Options menu when using Cabbage, but it is visible whilst sending texts "the regular" way :rolleyes: No problem... Also, easy to change the Account when texting, one instance will do :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

Hey Sam.I heard about Cabbage years ago but never got it working on my Samsung Z560. I recently got a Samsung Jet and installed it (v1.77) and it works a treat. Seeing all you updates and taking feedback i just had to post and say a big thank you :)

Also fyi, i'm being charged 4c a text too. Is anyone getting it for 2c now? I wouldnt put it past Meteor to introduce a 4c minimum charge because of this :/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Also fyi, i'm being charged 4c a text too. Is anyone getting it for 2c now? I wouldnt put it past Meteor to introduce a 4c minimum charge because of this :/

I went out and bought a pre pay sim to try this out and I was getting charged 2c. I'm thinking it might have something to do with the plan you're on. The sim I got is on the standard plan Pre-Pay Anytime Choice with no free texts or anything like that, what's yours on? You can check by logging into the meteor website and clicking My Account->Change call plan

Can you also go into your call and account history and look for some cabbage texts to see how much data they used? They should appear something like this:

06 May 10 15:29 00:00:00 1 KB Mobile Internet € 0.0165

And I don't know if your phone has a data counter but if it does could you check how much data each text is using?

And could you do the same apophis? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Now that's dedication :D

cormie wrote: »
    Now that's dedication :D

:D

Speaking of which, I've fixed the problem with the CSV importer. It turns out it was always missing the last item on each line but it was never noticed until now because the mobile number was never the last item. Download this version to fix it:

http://cabbagetexter.com/Cabbage_Setup_1.96.8.exe
    or
    http://cabbagetexter.com/cabbage_1.96.8.zip

I fixed another bug too that I'm glad to say no one noticed. If anyone tried to uninstall the program from the start menu they would have found that the uninstall link didn't actually uninstall anything, it just opened the program. So good to see no one tried to uninstall it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭JethroC

Hi Sam,
    Thanks for a great great program. It's saved me a fortune on texts over the last 2 years or so! Have rarely had any problems with it and if I had it's normally something easy enough to fix. I've one question though...

I've been trying to use the latest desktop versions 1.96.7 & 1.96.8 with Meteor but keep getting the following error - 'Error: (-7) Precheck: Network Website Failed'.
    If I try sending through the intermediate server (all 5 of them) I get the error - 'Error (-2) Could not connect to network site.
    It's only been like this since I upgraded from 1.88 recently which was due to the errors received because Meteor changed their webtext functionality.
    Any ideas?

JethroC wrote: »
    Hi Sam,
    Thanks for a great great program. It's saved me a fortune on texts over the last 2 years or so! Ive' one question though...

I've been trying to use the latest desktop versions 1.96.7 & 1.96.8 with Meteor but keep getting the following error - 'Error: (-7) Precheck: Network Website Failed'.
    If I try sending through the intermediate server (all 5 of them) I get the error - 'Error (-2) Could not connect to network site.
    It's only been like this since I upgraded from 1.88 recently which was due to the errors received because Meteor changed their webtext functionality.
    Any ideas?

Could you send the log file to cabbagetexting [at] gmail.com (replace [at] with @ obviously)

you'll find the log file if you paste this address (without the quotes) into your windows explorer address bar "%appdata%\cabbage". The file is called log.txt

You should also find some .htm files in that directory that start with met, e.g. metlogin.htm. Could you send them too?

Thanks

Hi Sam,
    Thanks for the prompt reply. I've just had a quick look at the log file that you refer to and it states that proxy authentication is required for any of the messages I'm trying to send. That's strange as I have 'use settings from internet explorer' selected under proxy settings in cabbage.
    However, I can use internet explorer just fine. It uses my domain credentials to authenticate against the proxy so I would have imagined it would do the same when trying to use a program that uses IE proxy settings.

Never had this problem before upgrading from 1.88.
    I'll send on the log file to you now.

EDIT: After looking for those files I can only see log.txt. There doesn't seem to be any .htm files in that directory. They all seem to be .txt and .exe files.

Works perfect Sam, thanks again!

I don't add it to the start menu myself but I wouldn't dare uninstall it :D

Hi Sam,
    Thanks for the prompt reply. I've just had a quick look at the log file that you refer to and it states that proxy authentication is required for any of the messages I'm trying to send. That's strange as I have 'use settings from internet explorer' selected under proxy settings in cabbage.
    However, I can use internet explorer just fine. It uses my domain credentials to authenticate against the proxy so I would have imagined it would do the same when trying to use a program that uses IE proxy settings.

Never had this problem before upgrading from 1.88.
    I'll send on the log file to you now.

If you know the information for your proxy server can you click more->Proxy and enter it?

Failing that click more->configuration and tick "Use old sending method" and see if that makes a difference

• Advertisement

Fantastic...the 'use old sending method' worked!
    We use a .pac file here for our proxy but I don't think that cabbage supports that.
    Thanks for your help Sam. Keep up the good work :)

Fantastic...the 'use old sending method' worked!
    We use a .pac file here for our proxy but I don't think that cabbage supports that.
    Thanks for your help Sam. Keep up the good work :)

A .pac file just defines different servers to use in different circumstances. If you open it up and read it you should be able to see the address and port for the proxy, e.g.
    function FindProxyForURL(url,host) {
          if (
             dnsDomainIs(host, ".google.com") ||
          ) {
             return "PROXY 123.456.789.123:8080; " + 
                    "PROXY proxy.company.com:8080; " + 
                    "DIRECT";
          }
             else {
                return "PROXY 123.456.789.123:8080; " + 
                    "PROXY proxy.company.com:8080; " + 
                    "DIRECT;";
             }
       }
    }

So the proxy would be 123.456.789.123:8080

The old sending method works because it's the same one from V 1.88. It uses an old version of Visual Basic that seems to pick up the IE settings better. The old method can only send messages via the server though so if you want to send client side messages you'd have to read the .pac file and find out your proxy info, which still might not work

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Sam,

Could I make a modification request for the Mobile application? I think it is the Java application, running on my N95 symbian Phone.

I am stupid, I admit, but I can't stop pressing the "exit" button, instead of the "back space" button.

Would it be possible at some stage to add in confirmation step? "ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO QUIT?" Or else have it so the text typed so far isn't lost?

Many thanks,

WildeFalcon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    I went out and bought a pre pay sim to try this out and I was getting charged 2c. I'm thinking it might have something to do with the plan you're on. The sim I got is on the standard plan Pre-Pay Anytime Choice with no free texts or anything like that, what's yours on? You can check by logging into the meteor website and clicking My Account->Change call plan

Can you also go into your call and account history and look for some cabbage texts to see how much data they used? They should appear something like this:

06 May 10 15:29 00:00:00 1 KB Mobile Internet € 0.0165

And I don't know if your phone has a data counter but if it does could you check how much data each text is using?

And could you do the same apophis? Thanks
    Did you change a setting on your server sometime between these two dates?

12 May 10 22:34 00:00:00 2 KB Mobile Internet € 0.0331
    12 May 10 22:36 00:00:00 2 KB Mobile Internet € 0.0331
    ========================================================
    13 May 10 16:15 00:00:00 1 KB Mobile Internet € 0.0165
    13 May 10 16:18 00:00:00 1 KB Mobile Internet € 0.0165

For some reason it fixed itself! Thanks a bunch Sam! Awesome program, one of the most useful ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

does this work with N900?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

Hi podge018. Found this
    Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Hi, Cabbage won't work on the N900. There is a very basic web based version of it that you can use:
    http://cabbagetexter.com/web/login.htm

And a boards member is making an app for the N900 but I don't know if it's available yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

cheers, doesnt accept my login details though.

You have to go to http://cabbagetexter.com/web/newlogin.htm first to set it up

Did you change a setting on your server sometime between these two dates?

12 May 10 22:34 00:00:00 2 KB Mobile Internet € 0.0331
    12 May 10 22:36 00:00:00 2 KB Mobile Internet € 0.0331
    ========================================================
    13 May 10 16:15 00:00:00 1 KB Mobile Internet € 0.0165
    13 May 10 16:18 00:00:00 1 KB Mobile Internet € 0.0165

For some reason it fixed itself! Thanks a bunch Sam! Awesome program, one of the most useful ever!

I didn't change anything, it's just meteor being odd. Does yours look the same apophis?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭apophis

Hi Sam, no change for me, if i send 1kb its costing 2c, 2kb is still 4c,

cannot understand where things changed.

apophis :confused:

• Advertisement

apophis wrote: »
    Hi Sam, no change for me, if i send 1kb its costing 2c, 2kb is still 4c,

cannot understand where things changed.

apophis :confused:

1kb for 2c and 2kb for 4c is right, airetam_storm's figures are ex vat. The question is are all of your cabbage texts using 2kb or are any of them using 1kb?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭apophis

some of each really Sam, but for example i just sent a txt with 3 short words and it cost 4c, before all this i could send a txt with a lengthy sentence for 2c.

apophis :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Doubs

Hi guys,

Superb app! I'm in the UK at the moment though so have to ask my mates to text back to my English number all the time - is there any way of editing the 'from' details so it would show as coming from my English number?

Thanks

Kaizza wrote: »
    Does this work with a Tesco phone?

Tesco don't do web texts I'm afraid.

Doubs wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Superb app! I'm in the UK at the moment though so have to ask my mates to text back to my English number all the time - is there any way of editing the 'from' details so it would show as coming from my English number?

Thanks

Not with the web text functionality. The program also supports sites like sms discount and voip cheap which allow you to set it up to appear from your number but those texts aren't free, they're 2c-3c each

apophis wrote: »
    some of each really Sam, but for example i just sent a txt with 3 short words and it cost 4c, before all this i could send a txt with a lengthy sentence for 2c.

apophis :cool:

It is a bit strange alright, I changed nothing on that end. It could be as simple as you having poor coverage sometimes meaning the phone has to resend the data. I'll keep looking into it but I don't know if there's much I can do about it

• Registered Users Posts: 41 cavanman..

Hey, on meteor PAYG. Vast majority of texts still being charged as 2kb. Has improved slighty in that a text with just a few words is being charged as 1kb. Couple of weeks ago one word was being charged as 2kb.

Dunno if any help (and i'm not criticising) but I use fishtext for intnl sms and this is always charged as 1kb for a standard length text..

Unrelated question, does cabbage support three webtext?? (they introduced a while ago).

cavanman.. wrote: »
    Hey, on meteor PAYG. Vast majority of texts still being charged as 2kb. Has improved slighty in that a text with just a few words is being charged as 1kb. Couple of weeks ago one word was being charged as 2kb.

Dunno if any help (and i'm not criticising) but I use fishtext for intnl sms and this is always charged as 1kb for a standard length text..

Unrelated question, does cabbage support three webtext?? (they introduced a while ago).

I'll have to look into how fishtext sends its messages. It could have something to do with it being https but I would've thought that would increase the data if anything.

And cabbage does support 3

Sam how hard would it be to sync cabbage desktop contacts with google contacts (group specific) :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 FiachraYeah

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the great software.

Could you tell me the filename where sent messages are saved in Cabbage Mobile? Any idea what folder it would be in on a Nokia E63?

Cheers

Advertisement