Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭apophis

Hi Sam, im back again, i just want to let you know i have tried Fishtext and after using it for a while and only being charged 2c for my txts, i now notice that there is credit being taken from my meteor account as well so i am paying Fishtext and meteor for the same txt,
    i will try cabbagetexter later and let you know the result.
    Anyone else notice this ?

apophis :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

cormie wrote: »
    Sam how hard would it be to sync cabbage desktop contacts with google contacts (group specific) :o

That would be quite tricky and not something I'd want to get into at the moment. sorry cormie :P

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the great software.

Could you tell me the filename where sent messages are saved in Cabbage Mobile? Any idea what folder it would be in on a Nokia E63?

Cheers

They're not stored in a file, they're in a J2ME thing called a record store and I don't think they're accessible anywhere but the application I'm afraid. If you want to save them you'd have to go to forward them and then copy the text out and paste it somewhere else

apophis wrote: »
    Hi Sam, im back again, i just want to let you know i have tried Fishtext and after using it for a while and only being charged 2c for my txts, i now notice that there is credit being taken from my meteor account as well so i am paying Fishtext and meteor for the same txt,

Anyone else notice this ?

apophis :confused:

I think you may be missing something here. Fishtext charges you a set amount to send texts but your phone also has to make a data connection to the fishtext server which costs at least 2c in data charges due to meteor's minimum 2c connection charge.

When you send a text using cabbage mobile I don't get any of that money, the charge is entirely due to the data used in connecting to the server and receiving the response and it all goes to meteor.

So what's happening is you're paying fishtext to use their service to send a text and you're paying meteor to make a data connection to fishtext's server. With Cabbage you're just paying meteor to make a data connection and there is no charge for using my text service.

How much is the charge for each fishtext text on meteor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Does this work on a HD2? I did try to find out but I am not sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

angel, if HD2 is what I think it is and uses android, just go to the market place and search for cabbage, works brilliantly :)

Sam, another little bug, if you've just sent a text and it's still "sending" and you go to write another, while you're writing it, the instant the other one finishes "sending", the cursor hops to the number field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

angel, if HD2 is what I think it is and uses android, just go to the market place and search for cabbage, works brilliantly :)

Sam, another little bug, if you've just sent a text and it's still "sending" and you go to write another, while you're writing it, the instant the other one finishes "sending", the cursor hops to the number field.

It runs on windows mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

i am having a small problem with cabbage on my hero at the moment, whenever i type a message that is too big for the screen the text does not move down the scree if you get me, i have to text blind because i cant see the bottom of the message.
    the screen doesnt seem to scroll down either when i try to drag it. are other people having this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Has the new text length from meteor been included in the updates? I think itt said it had but when I go over the limit(160 i think) it runs into two messages.

There's some conflict there. I had fixed that but it caused another problem so I switched it back, forgetting that it would cause this problem again :D

I can't remember what the other problem was now so I'll look into it and get back to you

• Advertisement

angel01 wrote: »
    It runs on windows mobile.

Cabbage doesn't work on WM. There is a web based version you can use that's available on www.cabbagetexter.com though

_sparkie_ wrote: »
    i am having a small problem with cabbage on my hero at the moment, whenever i type a message that is too big for the screen the text does not move down the scree if you get me, i have to text blind because i cant see the bottom of the message.
    the screen doesnt seem to scroll down either when i try to drag it. are other people having this problem?

I didn't develop the android app. You should post about it here: www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055832515&page=13

And ryderster will get back to you

jeffk wrote: »
    Has the new text length from meteor been included in the updates? I think itt said it had but when I go over the limit(160 i think) it runs into two messages.

It has been changed. If you're using the mobile version make sure you're using the right server by pressing options-accounts-options-edit server. Make sure its http://www.cabbagetexter.com/send.php

If you're using the desktop version make sure you have the latest version from the website

If you're just talking about the message counter don't mind that. It's just saying how many of your web texts will be used up but anything under 480 characters will arrive as one message, even though it uses more than one from your allowance. This is all assuming you have the lateat version though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    It has been changed. If you're using the mobile version make sure you're using the right server by pressing options-accounts-options-edit server. Make sure its http://www.cabbagetexter.com/send.php

If you're using the desktop version make sure you have the latest version from the website

If you're just talking about the message counter don't mind that. It's just saying how many of your web texts will be used up but anything under 480 characters will arrive as one message, even though it uses more than one from your allowance. This is all assuming you have the lateat version though

Cheers, I just checked it there, comes up as two messages but does only take away one from your total. Dead handy now almost treble the text size :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27 davidcorry

Sam, can't send any messages at all. It says it cant connect to the server immediately after pressing send. Server is http://www.cabbagetexter.com/send.php
    Same message comes up when i check for updates. I updated the app bout 5 months ago. any ideas? cheers

Im on o2 prepay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Just downloaded this for my Nokia 6700 slide but when I go into it under applications, I enter my phono no. and password and go to select the network (o2) but it seems to get stuck in the network selection pop-up screen and the only way to get it to close is to exit the whole app so I can't log in :( Is it just me doing something stupid??

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭nailer8

I know this was asked a year ago but wondering if any solution was ever found to allow Cabbage to always have network access on the S60 os.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

nailer8 wrote: »
    I know this was asked a year ago but wondering if any solution was ever found to allow Cabbage to always have network access on the S60 os.

Just as handy to open Cabbage, and leave it open in the background, accessing when needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭nailer8

true but if you leave it open in the background it keeps the data connection open all the time which is using battery (i assume).

Maybe there is there a setting to stop it doing this?

Just downloaded this for my Nokia 6700 slide but when I go into it under applications, I enter my phono no. and password and go to select the network (o2) but it seems to get stuck in the network selection pop-up screen and the only way to get it to close is to exit the whole app so I can't log in :( Is it just me doing something stupid??

When you select the network does the whole thing freeze or are you able to keep selecting different networks?

And after you select a network are you pressing options->Save?
    davidcorry wrote: »
    Sam, can't send any messages at all. It says it cant connect to the server immediately after pressing send. Server is http://www.cabbagetexter.com/send.php
    Same message comes up when i check for updates. I updated the app bout 5 months ago. any ideas? cheers

Im on o2 prepay

There was a problem with that in a previous version. If you download the latest version that problem should be solved.
    true but if you leave it open in the background it keeps the data connection open all the time which is using battery (i assume).

Maybe there is there a setting to stop it doing this?

It shouldn't keep the data connection open the whole time, it's closed after each text is sent. The only way to allow the app to always have data access is to pay for a certificate for the app and I don't think it's worth the money for the one extra click it takes tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Thanks for that Sam - I wasn't pressing Options and "Add" (there's no save which was confusing me a little). You're a legends :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 jone2010

Hi Sam,
    Thanks for this little app! I've been using it successfully now for a few months on a nokia 3600 (also desktop version) with vodafone prepaid.

I decided to update both versions and while the desktop version has been ok, the mobile version hasn't worked as well.

It is now very unusual for it to tell me that the message was sent, usually I get "cannot connect to server" and sometimes "unexpected response format".

Additionally it has tended to send x2 messages to each person, although this doesn't happen everytime.

After surfing the forum a little, to see if this was encountered before, I deleted the app, and redownloaded it (wasn't sure how to uninstall it as I would on a pc).

However this hasn't helped much.

I ran a couple of test texts to myself just now, to see how it was working, and this is what I got:

First: Worked fine, displayed mess sent, and amount of texts remaining.
    Second: "Cannot connect to server" and sent me 2 copies of that text
    Third: "Unexpected response format" and sent me 1 message
    Fourth: "Unexpected response (-5)" and didn't send a message.

While sending these I tested the desktop version to see if it might be the vodafone service playing up, but that worked fine.

Apologies for the long post, I just want to provide as much info as possible to see if there is an obvious problem in what I'm doing.

Many Thanks

PS Sods law: after posting this I tested again (and again..) from my mobile and 4 times, it worked fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭heathersonline

I installed the app to my new E52 and every time I try to send a message, I just get "Error:Null". Anyone know why that is? I think I've added and saved network, number and password are fine etc...

jone2010 wrote: »
    PS Sods law: after posting this I tested again (and again..) from my mobile and 4 times, it worked fine.

The vodafone site has been up and down the past few days and the desktop app could be more reliable than the mobile one because it makes a direct connection to the network website where the mobile one goes via my server to keep data transfer down. Keep an eye on it and let me know if the problem continues.

You could also try sending messages through the vodafone ISP access point which is more reliable than the live one. You can get the instructions to set it up here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59526334&postcount=12

I installed the app to my new E52 and every time I try to send a message, I just get "Error:Null". Anyone know why that is? I think I've added and saved network, number and password are fine etc...

Could you try uninstalling it and reinstalling the latest version? You can download it directly to your phone from this address: http://cabbagetexter.com/dl1.77

It's working fine for me so I'm thinking either something's gone corrupt or you have an older version with a bug that I fixed recently. It's important that you uninstall the app before installing the new one to get rid of any corrupt data

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭eamonpendergast

Having trouble with the app at the moment myself. On Vodafone Billpay and getting this message:

"Problem sending SMS.Please try .... Have you got credit?"

Is this part of the Vodafone issue you mentioned because I can send them via the web fine?

Overall thought the app is fantastic though!

Having trouble with the app at the moment myself. On Vodafone Billpay and getting this message:

"Problem sending SMS.Please try .... Have you got credit?"

Is this part of the Vodafone issue you mentioned because I can send them via the web fine?

Overall thought the app is fantastic though!

The vodafone website is running very slowly for me at the moment so it's probably down to that. Give it a while and see if the situation improves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 jone2010

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    The vodafone site has been up and down the past few days and the desktop app could be more reliable than the mobile one because it makes a direct connection to the network website where the mobile one goes via my server to keep data transfer down. Keep an eye on it and let me know if the problem continues.

You could also try sending messages through the vodafone ISP access point which is more reliable than the live one. You can get the instructions to set it up here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59526334&postcount=12

Thank you Sam!

I am using Vodafone ISP on a previous recommendation from yourself.

I just had problems with both mobile and desktop versions, logged in to vodafone website to see, and it failed, so there's the problem today.

I had switched to Vodafone to make best use of this, but am wondering if any of the other operators webtext services are more reliable (even if they are more expensive than vodafone ISP)?

Cheers

jone2010 wrote: »
    Thank you Sam!

I am using Vodafone ISP on a previous recommendation from yourself.

I just had problems with both mobile and desktop versions, logged in to vodafone website to see, and it failed, so there's the problem today.

I had switched to Vodafone to make best use of this, but am wondering if any of the other operators webtext services are more reliable (even if they are more expensive than vodafone ISP)?

Cheers

They all have their issues tbh. I'm on meteor and I very rarely have problems with it but it would cost more. I wouldn't say the vodafone website goes down often enough to warrant switching networks but one thing you could do is get a sim card from a different network just to use its web texts. The texts would appear to come from this other number but you could tell people to text back to your normal number.

Or you could set up an account with one of the betamax providers like www.smsdiscount.com or www.voipcheap.com. Cabbage supports them too and the texts would come from your own number but you pay them ~3c per text. Not ideal but probably fine for the few occasions when the vodafone website is down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

While on the subject, the webtext side of O2's site seems to be down (momentarily) for whatever reason on an almost weekly basis, though I'm forever sending texts so maybe notice more than most :D Apart from that, Cabbage Mobile works great with them.

Even so, have been considering a move to Vodafone, mainly for their 600 webtexts. Am an O2 SpeakEasy user, was wondering will charges be the same for using Cabbage Mobile with Vodafone..?

Advertisement