Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

danjo-xx wrote: »
    oooh please say its not the end of Cabbage....is there a workaround!
    it's unrelated to cabbage or the webtext service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Random wrote: »
    it's unrelated to cabbage or the webtext service.

I think its totally related but sure we'll see what Sam says, yes I know the O2 free web texts will still be available from their website but not from desktops.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I think its totally related but sure we'll see what Sam says, yes I know the O2 free web texts will still be available from their website but not from desktops.:(

Its an app they provide, they dont want to have to spend money on up keep of it, when its hardly used. It wont effect cabbage or other apps. The apps just mimic you going to the website and logging on

Davy wrote: »
    Its an app they provide, they dont want to have to spend money on up keep of it, when its hardly used. It wont effect cabbage or other apps. The apps just mimic you going to the website and logging on

hope your right...I love me Cabbage:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

oooh please say its not the end of Cabbage....is there a workaround!

As people have said, it's their own desktop app that their stopping, it's separate to the web texts and won't affect cabbage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭kilsmum

Sam, Cabbage got a mention on the Matt Cooper show last night - they were discussing voip on phones and cheaper ways to stay in touch like skype etc. your famous now!!!! Kilsmum

kilsmum wrote: »
    Sam, Cabbage got a mention on the Matt Cooper show last night - they were discussing voip on phones and cheaper ways to stay in touch like skype etc. your famous now!!!! Kilsmum

LOL :D

I must see if I can get a podcast or something

edit: found it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭kilsmum

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    LOL :D

I must see if I can get a podcast or something

edit: found it :)

Good!:D:D:D:D

As people have said, it's their own desktop app that their stopping, it's separate to the web texts and won't affect cabbage.

oooops sorry lads I never knew that O2 had their own desktop app.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭flanders2006

Sam,

Is there any chance that the cabbage app can be updated to allow for Eircom Mobile webtext to be sent.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Sam,

Is there any chance that the cabbage app can be updated to allow for Eircom Mobile webtext to be sent.

Thanks.

That should be doable but I'd need a login to test it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

It's working again now. Hopefully the problem doesn't happen again. Thanks :)

It's happened again Sam :( it worked perfect for about a week and then all of a sudden I was getting 'Could not connect to server' again. Does still send though. Any ideas what I can do??

Great great app btw, was able to use it abroad there, saved me a fortune! Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 presuki

Sam,

Thanks for all the dedication to this project man!

I'm having a little problem using the mobile version. I'm using:
    • Nokia 5130
    • Cabbage Mobile v1.76
    • Meteor prepaid
    • With working internet
    Every time I try to send a message it asks me to allow internet access. After I say yes it gives me the "Could not connect to server" error message immediately and the message does not send.

Can you advise me as to what might be the problem?

It's happened again Sam :( it worked perfect for about a week and then all of a sudden I was getting 'Could not connect to server' again. Does still send though. Any ideas what I can do??

Great great app btw, was able to use it abroad there, saved me a fortune! Thank you!

Any ideas guys?? Still coming up the same!

Any ideas guys?? Still coming up the same!

Hi, to fix the problem right away you should install it again. I'm going to do up a version with some extra debugging information for you so I can make sure it's working as it should but it'll take a few days.

Is it still the case that you can check how many messages you have left fine but trying to send a message gives an error?

presuki wrote: »
    Sam,

Thanks for all the dedication to this project man!

I'm having a little problem using the mobile version. I'm using:
    • Nokia 5130
    • Cabbage Mobile v1.76
    • Meteor prepaid
    • With working internet
    Every time I try to send a message it asks me to allow internet access. After I say yes it gives me the "Could not connect to server" error message immediately and the message does not send.

Can you advise me as to what might be the problem?

First could you upgrade to V1.77 by going to http://cabbagetexter.com/dl1.77 on the phone.

What happens when you press options->Check for updates and can any other java applications access the internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

i think i posted in this thread already (or maybe it was the android one) but i cant seem to find my post. anyway, i am having trouble with cabbage. my contacts are not working, whenever i type in a name of a contact the contact list does not come up so there is no number tied into the name i just typed in. also cabbage does not seem to be working. if i do type in the full number of the person i want to send a message to it just comes back with a 'message sending failed' report.
    i can use my web-texts without any problems from my computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

_sparkie_ wrote: »
    i think i posted in this thread already (or maybe it was the android one) but i cant seem to find my post. anyway, i am having trouble with cabbage. my contacts are not working, whenever i type in a name of a contact the contact list does not come up so there is no number tied into the name i just typed in. also cabbage does not seem to be working. if i do type in the full number of the person i want to send a message to it just comes back with a 'message sending failed' report.
    i can use my web-texts without any problems from my computer.

If this is the android app you should post here: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055832515&page=19

I didn't develop the android app, it's just using my server in the background. The only thing I can suggest is maybe you entered your details incorrectly. When you press menu->config account are your phone number and password exactly as you would enter them on the website? Ans is the right network selected?

Hi, to fix the problem right away you should install it again. I'm going to do up a version with some extra debugging information for you so I can make sure it's working as it should but it'll take a few days.

Is it still the case that you can check how many messages you have left fine but trying to send a message gives an error?

Thanks for the reply. Will I just wait to you do up that version before I install it again? It's funny how it works for a wee while and then I get the 'could not connect to server' message, it does still send though.

Yeah, I can still check how many messages I have left no probs.

• Advertisement

I just got my friend on vodafone to test it out so they don't have the page blocked. It is quite slow to send and when I tried to send directly from my server there I got an error the first time I tried but it worked from then on. give reinstalling a shot and let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 38 presuki

First could you upgrade to V1.77 by going to http://cabbagetexter.com/dl1.77 on the phone.

What happens when you press options->Check for updates and can any other java applications access the internet?

I upgraded to 1.77 and I have the same issue.

Unfortunately I don't have any other java applications to try out the connection, but when I 'Check for updates' it gives me the 'Cannot connect to server' message straight away.

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply. Will I just wait to you do up that version before I install it again? It's funny how it works for a wee while and then I get the 'could not connect to server' message, it does still send though.

Yeah, I can still check how many messages I have left no probs.

I think something is becoming corrupt along the way which is why I want to put in the extra debugging info. It's going to pop up on the screen exactly the request it's sending before sending it so I can make sure it's as it should be

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

presuki wrote: »
    I upgraded to 1.77 and I have the same issue.

Unfortunately I don't have any other java applications to try out the connection, but when I 'Check for updates' it gives me the 'Cannot connect to server' message straight away.

Thanks!
    Some nokias are a bit tricky to get java apps to connect to the internet. Could you enter the settings below on the phone? the options might not be exactly as they appear here but you should be able to find something similar:

settings->configuration->personal configuration settings->add->access point

account name: Meteor data APN
    go into access point settings
    data bearer:gprs
    go into bearer settings
    GPRS access point:data.mymeteor.ie
    authentication type:normal
    username:my
    password:data

settings->configuration->personal configuration settings
    highlight Meteor data APN and press options->activate

settings->configuration->activate default in all applications->yes

Are you saying that when you try to go to http://cabbagetexter.com it just says "An error occurred while trying to get the page"?

Could you try it through the isp APN?

Hi, there's something new that I'd like a few people to try out. I stress a few people because I don't know if this will be able to handle much load yet. Please post on the thread if you're trying it out.

It's an email to SMS gateway so you don't need to install any software, you can just send a text by sending an email.

Go here for instructions: http://cabbagetexter.com/email.php

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭rks

Just tried the encrypted method, worked like a charm.

As usual, great work Sam :)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭rks

Just want to add that I really like the idea. Even from work I can just send a mail without going to o2 site or without installing any software :)

One question: Will you be thinking of making this possible to send it to multiple number. I mean something like comma separated in the subject field?

• Advertisement

rks wrote: »
    Just want to add that I really like the idea. Even from work I can just send a mail without going to o2 site or without installing any software :)

One question: Will you be thinking of making this possible to send it to multiple number. I mean something like comma separated in the subject field?

It already supports that :)

Well it would if I hadn't just broken it. Hold off trying it out for a while please, I've done something stupid

Advertisement