Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I might need to ask you for some private (ish) info so could you email that to cabbagetexting [at] gmail.com and I'll respond

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mfield

Is the cost of sending a text through Cabbage on Meteor, 4 cent?

mfield wrote: »

It can be depending on your phone. It's supposed to be 2c but on some phones it sends just over a kilobyte for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

mfield wrote: »

It seems to change, signal can hamper the speed and in turn cost more. Whatever the highest is, its lower than what meteor charge per text.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭extremehalo

Sam,

Is there any option on the Android version to have multiple accounts? Like the desktop version where you just use the drop down menu to change profiles?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Sam,

Is there any option on the Android version to have multiple accounts? Like the desktop version where you just use the drop down menu to change profiles?

Thanks.

I don't think so. I didn't develop the android version, this guy did

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭extremehalo

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    I don't think so. I didn't develop the android version, this guy did

thanks Sam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

will cabbage work with emobile as their due to launch webtexts soon maybe this month or will it need a new version?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Anyone having problems with O2 and Cabbage. Downloaded the latest version mob and desktop but no joy

BostonB wrote: »
    Anyone having problems with O2 and Cabbage. Downloaded the latest version mob and desktop but no joy

tried it myself b4 and said failed so went to o2 website but its unavailable till 7am due to essential upgrade so that mite be the problem. tried my old three sim and worked

• Advertisement

lolie wrote: »
    tried it myself b4 and said failed so went to o2 website but its unavailable till 7am due to essential upgrade so that mite be the problem. tried my old three sim and worked

Ah should have checked O2. Considering its track record.

Ah should have checked O2. Considering its track record.

People always blame me when O2 goes down :(

I'll say again what I always say at this time. They're just a big multi national corporation with millions at their disposal and I'm an amateur developer doing some coding in his spare time. You can't expect them to have as reliable a service as me!!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Old Jim

I changed phone recently to a Nokia C5 and when I did, I am sometimes getting charged ~20c per cabbage message sent. Some messages aren't charged at all.
    Do I need to contact vodafone to get settings sent to the phone? I remember before I went to the Sony Ericsson website and I put my details in there and they sent the settings to my phone. The C5 is a symbian smartphone if this makes any difference.

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    People always blame me when O2 goes down :(

I'll say again what I always say at this time. They're just a big multi national corporation with millions at their disposal and I'm an amateur developer doing some coding in his spare time. You can't expect them to have as reliable a service as me!!! :P

LOL . So funny and so true. They have the worst website. I think they have some anti-usability designers.

Being a Duke of Ankh you have some advantages though...:D

Old Jim wrote: »
    I changed phone recently to a Nokia C5 and when I did, I am sometimes getting charged ~20c per cabbage message sent. Some messages aren't charged at all.
    Do I need to contact vodafone to get settings sent to the phone? I remember before I went to the Sony Ericsson website and I put my details in there and they sent the settings to my phone. The C5 is a symbian smartphone if this makes any difference.

You should use the ISP settings instead of the live ones. Live charges 2c per KB up to 99c and then it's a flat rate up to 50MB but the access point isn't too reliable so charging can be eratic. For cabbage it's better to use the ISP access point which charges 19c per MB. Sending messages should cost practically nothing that way.

You don't need to contact vodafone to get the settings, you can enter them yourself. Your menus might be slightly different but it should be similar enough:

Press menu->tools->settings->connection->access points->options->new access point->use default settings

And then fill it in like so:

connection name: Vf ISP
    data bearer: packet data
    APN: isp.vodafone.ie
    username: vodafone
    prompt password: no
    password: vodafone
    authentication: normal
    homepage: http://www.vodafone.ie

Then in options->advanced settings:
    network type: IPv4
    phone IP address: automatic
    name servers (DNS): automatic
    proxy address: none
    proxy port:0

Then when cabbage asks for access to the internet tell it to use Vf ISP.

You should be aware that it's only 19c per mb in Ireland, if you're abroad it costs massive money so you should go back to using the Live access point

Let me know how you get on

if any1 usin cabbage on meteor how much does cost per text, arent meteor changin there data to 69cent for 50mb instead of the 2cent per kb up to 99cent for 50mb. im on prepay and topped up €10 yesterday and sent about 20 txts with cabbage and hasnt took 1 cent from me credit. pity i didnt use it months ago:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

if any1 usin cabbage on meteor how much does cost per text, arent meteor changin there data to 69cent for 50mb instead of the 2cent per kb up to 99cent for 50mb. im on prepay and topped up €10 yesterday and sent about 20 txts with cabbage and hasnt took 1 cent from me credit. pity i didnt use it months ago:rolleyes:

I use it on meteor and one minute your sending em for free, then its 2c then it can go up to 8c. The 8c was in a hospital or a place where the reception wasn't great.

As jeffk says the prices can vary. Yes meteor are changing to a flat 69c from 2c-99c and it will affect cabbage

I want to gauge interest in an idea I had to kind of get around meteor changing their internet pricing and a few other things.

Lots of people have free texts to their own network but not to others so they either pay full price for messages to other networks or use Cabbage for them. The idea is to allow people to send messages to a number that's on their own network for free and the messages are then forwarded on to other networks through the Cabbage service. I would put a sim card from a specific network in an Android phone and have an app running on the phone that reads texts messages sent to it and forwards them on through the Cabbage service.

To use the service people would send texts to this number and they start the message with the recipient number they want, e.g:
    0861234567,message goes here

I could set up the Cabbage mobile app to stick the recipient number in automatically so people would keep sending texts through Cabbage as normal and wouldn't have to type it in manually each time if they didn't want to.

People would have to register with the service and provide their passwords so the app would be able to log into the website and send it from the person's number. It would read the number the text came from to know which account to use.

Another use for the app would be for people to forward text messages to themselves. As we all know you can divert calls but not texts so people could install this app on a phone that they leave at home and set it up so that it forwards any messages it receives to a number of the user's choice.

So what do people think? Would there be any demand for it? Is there anything I haven't thought of? Questions? Comments?

I'm not really following that. tbh You (Mr Vimes) would need a sim for every network, and wouldn't you go through a load of them?

Usually when you are texting people, its a) the same people or b) random people in frequently.

For case (a) Maybe this is the same thing. Say I'm on O2, I could register numbers say meteor, with cabbage, that if the cabbage service gets a text from them, you use my free texts to forward the text to myself. The meteor person also registers with cabbage. So If I send cabbage service a text with this number on it, it uses that persons free texts to send it on to them.

In that way Cabbage itself doesn't use its own free texts allowance at all. Just the allowance from both parties.

You could use cabbage own free allowance for b) I dunno how well that would work though. Would the person recieving the text be confused?

Perhaps something similar would be useful (though I can't think of how it would work) for international txts. For example on O2 you can use webtext for UK numbers. And I think 3 have something similar with regular text between UK and Ireland. So for people who text the same people in the UK a lot, it would be handy. If the UK person could txt a UK version of cabbage and get it sent on. I dunno, its an idea.

Maybe I'm thinking about it too complicated.

• Advertisement

I'm not really following that. tbh You (Mr Vimes) would need a sim for every network, and wouldn't you go through a load of them?

Usually when you are texting people, its a) the same people or b) random people in frequently.

For case (a) Maybe this is the same thing. Say I'm on O2, I could register numbers say meteor, with cabbage, that if the cabbage service gets a text from them, you use my free texts to forward the text to myself. The meteor person also registers with cabbage. So If I send cabbage service a text with this number on it, it uses that persons free texts to send it on to them.

In that way Cabbage itself doesn't use its own free texts allowance at all. Just the allowance from both parties.

You could use cabbage own free allowance for b) I dunno how well that would work though. Would the person recieving the text be confused?

Perhaps something similar would be useful (though I can't think of how it would work) for international txts. For example on O2 you can use webtext for UK numbers. And I think 3 have something similar with regular text between UK and Ireland. So for people who text the same people in the UK a lot, it would be handy. If the UK person could txt a UK version of cabbage and get it sent on. I dunno, its an idea.

Maybe I'm thinking about it too complicated.

No I don't think you are following :)

Say I'm a cabbage user on Meteor and my phone number is 0851111111

I send a text to the Cabbage number which is say 0852222222 and the text I send is:
    0863333333,test message

0863333333 is the number I actually want the text to go to

It arrives on the Android phone that has the Cabbage sim card in it (0852222222) which:
    1. Reads the text (test message)
    2. Reads the real recipient number at the start of the message (0863333333)
    3. Reads the number the text actually came from (0851111111)
    4. Logs into the webtext account for 0851111111 and sends the text on to 0863333333

So the Cabbage number isn't using any of its own web texts, it just receives the messages and forwards them on with the user's own web text allowance.........Am I being clear enough?

Ah with you. For when your not near wifi or on a computer.

Me O2 text > (O2 to O2) Cabbage O2 > (webtext) to other network

Brilliant. Have another cigar.

Ah with you. For when your not near wifi or on a computer.

Me O2 text > (O2 to O2) Cabbage O2 > (webtext) to other network
    Yup, that's pretty much it :)

So do you think there'd be a demand for it? I'd have to go out and buy an android phone for this so I wouldn't just be investing my time anymore.

I'd think it would be massive. If it got around everyone would start using it. Would you need a sim for every network though? AFAIK some of the mobile broadband dongles/sims (O2) allow recieve/send webtext too. That might allow you put it on a PC. I've not used one personally.

I'd think it would be massive. If it got around everyone would start using it. Would you need a sim for every network though?
    I would, or at least every network that I wanted it to work for.
    AFAIK some of the mobile broadband dongles/sims (O2) allow recieve/send webtext too. That might allow you put it on a PC. I've not used one personally.

Those dongles do allow you to receive texts (not webtexts) but I need to be able to process the messages and forward them on which is where the android app comes in. I don't want to do it through a pc tbh because I'd rather have a phone on the whole time than a pc

emobile started doin webtexs now so any chance of updatin the cabbage mobile app when ya get time sam, plannin on switchin to emobile soon. usin it on nokia n73 with 3 and its workin perfect, brill app. cheers:)

Fair enough. You'd need a phone for every network. Well you could use a dual sim android phone which seem to exit. A dongle wouldn't know the different between a sms from a phone and webtext I would have assumed.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭mono_mac

no cabbage in android app market :(

emobile started doin webtexs now so any chance of updatin the cabbage mobile app when ya get time sam, plannin on switchin to emobile soon. usin it on nokia n73 with 3 and its workin perfect, brill app. cheers:)

I'll look into it
    Fair enough. You'd need a phone for every network. Well you could use a dual sim android phone which seem to exit. A dongle wouldn't know the different between a sms from a phone and webtext I would have assumed.
    Afaik dual sim phones can only have one active at a time so that would be no good.
    No a dongle wouldn't know the difference between receiving a webtext and receiving an sms but I'm not sure what would be achieved by sending a webtext to a dongle.....?

mono_mac wrote: »
    no cabbage in android app market :(

It's to do with your android version. I'm planning to look into it but I haven't got around to getting up to speed on the android app yet (I didn't develop it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dean_Mc

Hi Sam,

I mailed you earlier RE a WP7 version. I have put the source up on codeplex. The link for information is here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69040263#post69040263

Like cabbage this version is Open Source and anyone is welcome to help.

Power to the community!

Advertisement