Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Dean_Mc wrote: »
    Hi Sam,

I mailed you earlier RE a WP7 version. I have put the source up on codeplex. The link for information is here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69040263#post69040263

Like cabbage this version is Open Source and anyone is welcome to help.

Power to the community!

Hi, I got your mail. Love the name :D

Did you sort out you problem with O2?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dean_Mc

I thought you might :) no not yet, As I said i think its an issue with my logic rather than the actual requests. For the little I know of fiddler2 the requests seemed to be the same as Cabbage but there seems to be some redircts going on, maybe the are throwing me out.

I thought you might :) no not yet, As I said i think its an issue with my logic rather than the actual requests. For the little I know of fiddler2 the requests seemed to be the same as Cabbage but there seems to be some redircts going on, maybe the are throwing me out.

Yeah there are some redirects. I'm not sure which version you looked at but you'd be best off looking at the Visual Basic code from the Desktop version source code rather than the PHP. PHP's cURL function handles a lot of stuff seamlessly that VB doesn't. I kept getting blank pages returned in the messaging sub domain until I manually edited one of the cookies before sending it back

edit: just looking at your code I can't see any cookie handling functionality. PHP handles that itself, you just have to tell it the cookie directory, but I think you'll have to do it manually in your code.

No, all I do is store them in a container and pass them back to the request. I didn't notice any cookie handling logic in the VB app which I am using for reference. Any specific module I should be looking at?

No, all I do is store them in a container and pass them back to the request. I didn't notice any cookie handling logic in the VB app which I am using for reference. Any specific module I should be looking at?
    I've sent you an email about it

• Advertisement

Cheers man!

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

Just noticed, when sending an sms containing the (Euro) sign,

Using the Vodafone website a,- appears in the received sms,

Using Cabbage Mobile the sms contains ac :confused: :rolleyes: :eek: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Yeah, it's similar for three webtexts - display '?' instead of '€'

CaSCaDe711 wrote: »
    Just noticed, when sending an sms containing the (Euro) sign,

Using the Vodafone website a,- appears in the received sms,

Using Cabbage Mobile the sms contains ac :confused: :rolleyes: :eek: :D
    Yeah, it's similar for three webtexts - display '?' instead of '€'

Yeah the websites don't support the € character properly.

Confirmed this isn't a logic issue as I use a different Encoding Method to Cabbage on Sprout SMS and it is the same issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Wonder can you help me with a problem. I was cleaning up my phone (E71) and I've deleted something that stops Cabbage working. In the meanwhile I've done a hard reset and got the latest Nokia firmware. Reformatted the memory card. But Cabbage won't install now. It thinks its already installed somehow. But won't overwrite was there. I'm stumped.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Old Jim

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    You should use the ISP settings instead of the live ones. Live charges 2c per KB up to 99c and then it's a flat rate up to 50MB but the access point isn't too reliable so charging can be eratic. For cabbage it's better to use the ISP access point which charges 19c per MB. Sending messages should cost practically nothing that way.

You don't need to contact vodafone to get the settings, you can enter them yourself.

You should be aware that it's only 19c per mb in Ireland, if you're abroad it costs massive money so you should go back to using the Live access point

Let me know how you get on

Forgot I had asked this question until yesterday so sorry for delay in replying.
    Tried the settings you supplied, still getting charged 19c per message.
    I then disabled the 3G network on the phone and left only the GSM network. This seems to have done the trick, wasn't charged for 3 text messages after. What are the downsides of not having the 3G network or is there another way of getting cabbage not to use this network?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Sam, I'm getting ..........

Run-time error '52':
    Bad File name or number

....when I try send a txt of my laptop...I'm running V 1.96.1

? Any thoughts or advice please?

MidlandsM wrote: »

Run-time error '52':
    Bad File name or number

Is this from first launch or only recently after use?

Old Jim wrote: »
    Forgot I had asked this question until yesterday so sorry for delay in replying.
    I then disabled the 3G network on the phone and left only the GSM network. This seems to have done the trick, wasn't charged for 3 text messages after. What are the downsides of not having the 3G network or is there another way of getting cabbage not to use this network?

3G is a faster network so should improved the speed at which cabbage sends. It shouldn't really be charging you on the live apn as I believe Vodafone moved to a Max charge of 99c per day fro 50mb. You should go to a store or call them and see if you are set up for it.

Is this from first launch or only recently after use?

only recently after much use.........since tried removing program and re-install but to no success.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 cavanman..

I want to gauge interest in an idea I had to kind of get around meteor changing their internet pricing and a few other things.

Lots of people have free texts to their own network but not to others so they either pay full price for messages to other networks or use Cabbage for them. The idea is to allow people to send messages to a number that's on their own network for free and the messages are then forwarded on to other networks through the Cabbage service. I would put a sim card from a specific network in an Android phone and have an app running on the phone that reads texts messages sent to it and forwards them on through the Cabbage service.

To use the service people would send texts to this number and they start the message with the recipient number they want, e.g:
    0861234567,message goes here

I could set up the Cabbage mobile app to stick the recipient number in automatically so people would keep sending texts through Cabbage as normal and wouldn't have to type it in manually each time if they didn't want to.

People would have to register with the service and provide their passwords so the app would be able to log into the website and send it from the person's number. It would read the number the text came from to know which account to use.

Another use for the app would be for people to forward text messages to themselves. As we all know you can divert calls but not texts so people could install this app on a phone that they leave at home and set it up so that it forwards any messages it receives to a number of the user's choice.

So what do people think? Would there be any demand for it? Is there anything I haven't thought of? Questions? Comments?

This would be ***king brilliant. Would make cabbage completely free for me..

Would have no problem making a donation for same, just let me know how..

Sorry for the delayed replies, I've been away.
    Old Jim wrote: »

Are you on bill pay?

The only downside to disabling 3G is that your data rate will be slower but if you're only using cabbage that won't make any difference. I don't know why having 3g disabled would affect the price that much though, is it still happening for you?

There would be no way to tell the program to just use 2G while still having 3G disabled.
    BostonB wrote: »
    Wonder can you help me with a problem. I was cleaning up my phone (E71) and I've deleted something that stops Cabbage working. In the meanwhile I've done a hard reset and got the latest Nokia firmware. Reformatted the memory card. But Cabbage won't install now. It thinks its already installed somehow. But won't overwrite was there. I'm stumped.

Are you still having this problem? The only think I can think of is another hard reset tbh, it looks like the first one didn't work properly. Any maybe try installing it without the memory card in the phone if it was installed to the memory card.

Run-time error '52':
    Bad File name or number

only recently after much use.........since tried removing program and re-install but to no success.

Try uninstalling the program again but while it's uninstalled, open the Documents folder and in the address bar (the white box at the top that says Documents or My Documents) type %appdata% and press enter. In the folder that opens you might see a folder called cabbage. Rename it to something else or delete it, then install the program again.

Let me know what happens or if you're not sure what to do
    cavanman.. wrote: »
    This would be ***king brilliant. Would make cabbage completely free for me..

Would have no problem making a donation for same, just let me know how..

I'm going to look into it as soon as I can get a chance to do it. I don't know yet if it's going to work out though and I'm not going to be buying a phone for it just yet, I'll test it on my own phone. There's a donate link on the website www.cabbagetexter.com

• Registered Users Posts: 41 cavanman..

As jeffk says the prices can vary. Yes meteor are changing to a flat 69c from 2c-99c and it will affect cabbage

I thought I was managing to get free data (on meteor) too. But they've charged me the 69c around 6am this morning (for yesterday) and they charged same at 1am yesterday (for previous day)... :mad:

Thats not good at all. The only think I can say to that is at least smartphones will make use of that 69c charge but if your not the email for facebook sort that is going to be a kick in the snots.

• Advertisement

cavanman.. wrote: »
    I thought I was managing to get free data (on meteor) too. But they've charged me the 69c around 6am this morning (for yesterday) and they charged same at 1am yesterday (for previous day)... :mad:

I didn't realise they'd already brought in that new tariff. I'll look into that android app soon enough

MidlandsM, can I take from you thanking my last post that your problem is solved?

Try uninstalling the program again but while it's uninstalled, open the Documents folder and in the address bar (the white box at the top that says Documents or My Documents) type %appdata% and press enter. In the folder that opens you might see a folder called cabbage. Rename it to something else or delete it, then install the program again.

Let me know what happens or if you're not sure what to do

Thanks Sam, did all that, and its back working 100% - such a nifty program you miss it when its gone;)
    Tell me, I lost all my contacts now, but I see a back up file of these in my doc's folder - is there a way to restore all of them easily?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Heres a range of costs with Meteor the last two days

23 Nov 2 KB Mobile Internet € 0.0331
    29 Nov 3 KB Mobile Internet € 0.5702
    29 Nov 2 KB Mobile Internet € 0.0000

Thanks Sam, did all that, and its back working 100% - such a nifty program you miss it when its gone;)
    Tell me, I lost all my contacts now, but I see a back up file of these in my doc's folder - is there a way to restore all of them easily?

You might be able to. If the file you can see is called book.txt open it and you might see your contacts in it. If so, move it into the cabbage folder that I previously told you to rename or delete.

That might cause the problem you were having to come back though if the file had become corrupt though. If so could you send it to cabbagetexting [at] gmail.com and I'll take a look at it and see if I can fix the problem and send it back to you

jeffk wrote: »
    Heres a range of costs with Meteor the last two days

23 Nov 2 KB Mobile Internet € 0.0331
    29 Nov 3 KB Mobile Internet € 0.5702
    29 Nov 2 KB Mobile Internet € 0.0000

Those prices are a bit strange tbh. It looks fine on the 29th, the first connection costs 57.02c which is 69c including VAT but on the 23rd you were charged 40c inc VAT. Do you have any more examples?

Those prices are a bit strange tbh. It looks fine on the 29th, the first connection costs 57.02c which is 69c including VAT but on the 23rd you were charged 40c inc VAT. Do you have any more examples?

Getting em now, if i send a message and then start writing another one the big e stays on(which means im still using the net), would this be because im using gprs and not 3g?

Getting em now, if i send a message and then start writing another one the big e stays on(which means im still using the net), would this be because im using gprs and not 3g?

No it wouldn't. As I understand the new pricing you should be charged 69c for the first connection and free after that. I don't know why you were charged 40c on the 23rd

01 Oct 2 KB Mobile Internet € 0.0331
    01 Oct 10 2 KB Mobile Internet € 0.0331
    08 Oct 10 2 KB Mobile Internet € 0.0331
    5 Oct 10 2 KB Mobile Internet € 0.0331
    24 Oct 2 KB Mobile Internet € 0.0331
    30 Oct 2 KB Mobile Internet € 0.0331
    05 Sep 10 2 KB Mobile Internet € 0.0000
    05 Sep 2 KB Mobile Internet € 0.0000
    05 Sep 102 KB Mobile Internet € 0.0000
    06 Sep 10 2 KB Mobile Internet € 0.0331

No it wouldn't. As I understand the new pricing you should be charged 69c for the first connection and free after that. I don't know why you were charged 40c on the 23rd

So its ok to use the gprs rather than 3g? Ive two settings for the net, the ones that came with the phone and the ones meteor send when you set it up. Im using the meteor set up settings.

A year or two on another phone I was charged almost a fiver for receiving 4 pictures and meteor didn't want to figure out or why i was charged that, they said it wasn't them it was the people that provide them with the service and basically fobbed me off.

• Advertisement

08 Oct 10 2 KB Mobile Internet € 0.0331
    5 Oct 10 2 KB Mobile Internet € 0.0331
    24 Oct 2 KB Mobile Internet € 0.0331
    30 Oct 2 KB Mobile Internet € 0.0331
    05 Sep 102 KB Mobile Internet € 0.0000

I think those prices are from before the new pricing was introduced. Keep an eye on it from now and and see if you keep getting both the 0.0331 price and the 0.5702 one.
    So its ok to use the gprs rather than 3g? Ive two settings for the net, the ones that came with the phone and the ones meteor send when you set it up. Im using the meteor set up settings.

A year or two on another phone I was charged almost a fiver for receiving 4 pictures and meteor didn't want to figure out or why i was charged that, they said it wasn't them it was the people that provide them with the service and basically fobbed me off.

Yeah using GPRS is fine, the pricing is the same regardless of what settings you use (on meteor) or whether it's GPRS or 3G (on any network). If you downloaded those pictures from one of those ringtone type companies it wouldn't have been data charges, they would have just taken credit directly and you would have paid the data charges on top of that. Having said that, at 2c per KB if the two pictures added up to 256KB it would have cost over €5

Advertisement