Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

hi Sam.

Just wanted to point out that in the latest desktop version (1.97.3), in the about tab the version number has disappeared.

Keep up the good work! :)

Thanks for letting me know, I though I'd fixed that. I'll fix it in the next release

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭colonel-yum-yum

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Thanks for letting me know, I though I'd fixed that. I'll fix it in the next release
    No problem.

Also, just to throw it out there, would it be possible to access contacts on a nokia to import them as cabbage contacts? It's no deal breaker, but seeing as you can "add from contacts" by name, it would be nice to see the names in the "recent numbers" list rather than just the number.

No problem.

Also, just to throw it out there, would it be possible to access contacts on a nokia to import them as cabbage contacts? It's no deal breaker, but seeing as you can "add from contacts" by name, it would be nice to see the names in the "recent numbers" list rather than just the number.

I assume this is the Java Mobile version you're talking about. I was just about to reply saying that it wasn't possible but I thought I'd have a quick google first and I found this: http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.php/How_to_read_contacts_using_JSR_75

Looks like it is possible after all, at least with some devices. I'll see if I can include it in the program.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭colonel-yum-yum

I assume this is the Java Mobile version you're talking about. I was just about to reply saying that it wasn't possible but I thought I'd have a quick google first and I found this: http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.php/How_to_read_contacts_using_JSR_75

Looks like it is possible after all, at least with some devices. I'll see if I can include it in the program.

Sweet! Cheers dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hey Sam, just an update on VodaFone texting, they have now adjusted their webtext to allow 3 texts at once (I'm not sure if this was always the case) but the texts now arrive as ONE text (even though it says they'll arrive as 3 separate texts) from the vodafone website, however, when I tested it from cabbage, I wrote a 7 or so message text and it came as 7 separate texts. If you could change it so it would come in bundles of 3 texts, or more if VF allows, that would be great :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭duffmagic

eMobile logon appears to be failing via latest windows version. It was working yesterday.

Tested logging in to eMobile site directly and it worked and did not prompt me to enter a captcha as happens the odd time on Meteor.

duffmagic wrote: »
    eMobile logon appears to be failing via latest windows version.

Tested logging in to eMobile site directly and it worked and did not prompt me to enter a captcha as happens the odd time on Meteor.

Hi, it's working for me. Could you try it again?

cormie wrote: »
    Hey Sam, just an update on VodaFone texting, they have now adjusted their webtext to allow 3 texts at once (I'm not sure if this was always the case) but the texts now arrive as ONE text (even though it says they'll arrive as 3 separate texts) from the vodafone website, however, when I tested it from cabbage, I wrote a 7 or so message text and it came as 7 separate texts. If you could change it so it would come in bundles of 3 texts, or more if VF allows, that would be great :)

Sorry I forgot to respond to this. Yeah I'll be including this in the next release, I just want to make sure it's working properly because it was giving me problems

cool stuff :) look forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭duffmagic

Apologies. I've retested and it's working again.

Perhaps I just needed to logon via the website and restart Cabbage. I had tested logging on and then using Cabbage again, but not after restart of Cabbage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Hello Sam, great service, thank you so much. I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, but I figured I'd mention it anyway.

I'm currently working on a small script to allow me to send texts from a Linux command line using this service, and I noticed that if you have certain special characters in your message (like an apostrophe or quotation mark) the text, when received, contains an escape character "\" before the special character. At first I thought the problem was with my script but sending the message directly from the website seems to have the same problem. I'm not sure if the same problem exists in the desktop version.

Is there any chance this could be fixed? Or is there a workaround?

Hello Sam, great service, thank you so much. I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, but I figured I'd mention it anyway.

I'm currently working on a small script to allow me to send texts from a Linux command line using this service, and I noticed that if you have certain special characters in your message (like an apostrophe or quotation mark) the text, when received, contains an escape character "\" before the special character. At first I thought the problem was with my script but sending the message directly from the website seems to have the same problem. I'm not sure if the same problem exists in the desktop version.

Is there any chance this could be fixed? Or is there a workaround?

Hi, what's the url you're connecting to? I just saw this problem with the web based version but not with the url you should be using: http://cabbagetexter.com/send.php?u=&p=&s=&d=&m=

and I'm sure you know what to put in for those values if you're already interfacing with the web based version. Is that one any better for you? And do you know what the error codes mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Hi, what's the url you're connecting to? I just saw this problem with the web based version but not with the url you should be using: http://cabbagetexter.com/send.php?u=&p=&s=&d=&m=

and I'm sure you know what to put in for those values if you're already interfacing with the web based version. Is that one any better for you? And do you know what the error codes mean?
    Oh grand sorry, I've been using http://cabbagetexter.com/web/d.php?u=...

Guess I should've RTFM before diving in! Yeah, that works fine for me actually.

I haven't encountered the error codes yet because I've only been entering valid and correct details so far, but just deliberately put in the wrong pin in and got a -1 so I guess figuring out the error codes will be simple enough! Is there a guide to them somewhere online? If not, as I say, figuring them out should be easy.

Thanks again!

Oh grand sorry, I've been using http://cabbagetexter.com/web/d.php?u=...

Guess I should've RTFM before diving in! Yeah, that works fine for me actually.

I haven't encountered the error codes yet because I've only been entering valid and correct details so far, but just deliberately put in the wrong pin in and got a -1 so I guess figuring out the error codes will be simple enough! Is there a guide to them somewhere online? If not, as I say, figuring them out should be easy.

Thanks again!

There isn't a whole lot to it, the only error codes are -1, which means invalid login as you found, -2 which means that it couldn't log into the network website and -5 which means it managed to log in but got some unexpected response after that, like if the webtext section is down or similar. Other than that the response is the number of messages left. You can check how many messages are left by adding the parameter c=1, then you don't have to include d= or m=.

Btw, if people are using the service and they're getting an invalid login error but they insist they have the right login details, they're almost certainly wrong ;)
    Especially if they're the only person reporting the problem and you can log in yourself

Just another quick idea to go with the next release, could be handy for statistical reviews would be a total lifetime/average monthly text use tracker. Just to count the numbers sent lifetime and monthly? Could come in handy if deciding on a new mobile billpay plan and you need to know just how many webtexts you use if switching from say Vodafones 600 to 300 from o2 etc?

Hope the vodafone webtext updatewith the bundled together texting isn't giving too many problems still :)

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

another quick idea

I've just switched to three, and their webtexts include a "sent using webtext.three.ie" note, which is annoying.

The workaround to remove this note is to fill out the rest of your text with spaces, and to use a full stop as the 160th character. Could you add in an option to automatically append these characters to a webtext if you're sending using three's service?

cormie wrote: »
    Just another quick idea to go with the next release, could be handy for statistical reviews would be a total lifetime/average monthly text use tracker. Just to count the numbers sent lifetime and monthly? Could come in handy if deciding on a new mobile billpay plan and you need to know just how many webtexts you use if switching from say Vodafones 600 to 300 from o2 etc?

Hope the vodafone webtext updatewith the bundled together texting isn't giving too many problems still :)

To be honest I can't picture myself doing that. It'd be an awful lot of work for something that I can't imagine being used a whole lot. Your history is all stored in a text file in the application data directory (%appdata\cabbage\history.txt) so you can do whatever statistical analysis you want on that.

another quick idea

I've just switched to three, and their webtexts include a "sent using webtext.three.ie" note, which is annoying.

The workaround to remove this note is to fill out the rest of your text with spaces, and to use a full stop as the 160th character. Could you add in an option to automatically append these characters to a webtext if you're sending using three's service?

It should already be doing that. Are you on the latest version 1.97.3?

To be honest I can't picture myself doing that. It'd be an awful lot of work for something that I can't imagine being used a whole lot. Your history is all stored in a text file in the application data directory (%appdata\cabbage\history.txt) so you can do whatever statistical analysis you want on that.

No prob, probably wouldn't have used it much myself even :P

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

It should already be doing that. Are you on the latest version 1.97.3?
    ah, I didn't realise there was an upgrade. Just checked it there and it does exactly that. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Hi Sam,
    Will there be a version for three soon? Have recently switched & miss cabbage!

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    Hi Sam,
    Will there be a version for three soon? Have recently switched & miss cabbage!

Nick

It does support 3. Unless you're talking about the web based version?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

It does support 3. Unless you're talking about the web based version?

I didnt read your site properly, sorry! It just says vodafone, o2, meteor, will check it out

cheers

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭funnyname

3 customers can't send to overseas customers, is there a way of having a vodafone/o2 account but make the text look like that it was sent from the 3 phone number. This would be handy as it would mean the receiver wouldn't have to store 2 numbers for the sender.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

3 customers can't send to overseas customers, is there a way of having a vodafone/o2 account but make the text look like that it was sent from the 3 phone number. This would be handy as it would mean the receiver wouldn't have to store 2 numbers for the sender.

This is not possible. The O2 or Vodafone websites will identify the text as coming from their network.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

When I send a text from Cabbage, it works perfect.

But when I go in and check the history file to forward a text I sent, its empty? Any help/reason?

Thanks.

MidlandsM wrote: »
    When I send a text from Cabbage, it works perfect.

But when I go in and check the history file to forward a text I sent, its empty? Any help/reason?

Thanks.

could you try more->configuration and make sure store message history is ticked?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

could you try more->configuration and make sure store message history is ticked?

ahhhhhhhh, it was'nt ticked......it IS NOW:D

thanks, such a brilliant thing is cabbage!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭GJG

Hi, thanks for a great app

Could you add support for VoipDiscount.com? It shouldn't be too hard, they even give instructions how to do it on their website here: http://www.voipdiscount.com/en/sms_instructions.html

I have an account and I'm happy to use it to help you test.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement

GJG wrote: »
    Hi, thanks for a great app

Could you add support for VoipDiscount.com? It shouldn't be too hard, they even give instructions how to do it on their website here: http://www.voipdiscount.com/en/sms_instructions.html

I have an account and I'm happy to use it to help you test.

Thanks again.

Which app do you mean? Desktop, java mobile or android?

Advertisement