Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭colonel-yum-yum

Sorry, I couldn't help making the application just a little bit better.Bacon & cabbage 1.0 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I'll stick with the vegan option please ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Sorry, I couldn't help making the application just a little bit better.Bacon & cabbage 1.0 :P

:D

GJG wrote: »
    Hi, thanks for a great app

Could you add support for VoipDiscount.com? It shouldn't be too hard, they even give instructions how to do it on their website here: http://www.voipdiscount.com/en/sms_instructions.html

I have an account and I'm happy to use it to help you test.

Thanks again.

This guy emailed me too and he got voipdiscount working. For the benefit of others:

There are dozens of providers like voipdiscount that all use exactly the same interface as the one GJG linked to so I designed Cabbage desktop to be able to support them without changing the code.

If you click Start->Programs->Cabbage->Cabbage logs, in the folder that opens you'll see a file called betamax.txt that contains three lines like this:

smsdiscount
    voipcheap
    lowratevoip

If you add your provider of choice to the list, like this:

smsdiscount
    voipcheap
    lowratevoip
    voipdiscount

You should be able to open Cabbage, create a new login with the network as voipdiscount (or your provider of choice) and it should work fine.

The test account button won't work btw, it only works for web text accounts.

Any progress with the Vodafone extra character extension at all Sam? Still giving you trouble? :0

• Advertisement

cormie wrote: »
    Any progress with the Vodafone extra character extension at all Sam? Still giving you trouble? :0

Sorry about that. If you go to the website now you'll find version 1.97.4 that supports 470 character messages

Brilliant thanks a lot, seems to work great :) tested with markers at 160, 300 and 470 in text and it splits to 4th message after the 470th character with the first 470 appearing as one chunk and using 4 messages, then tested again with 1280 character or so text which came as 3 chunks as expected! Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dean_Mc

Hi Sam,

Any changes with 02? I've had a few people mail me saying sprout ain't working. Its the older version they are using so its not the one using cabbage. Did they change anything in the last 30 days.

Dean_Mc wrote: »
    Hi Sam,

Any changes with 02? I've had a few people mail me saying sprout ain't working. Its the older version they are using so its not the one using cabbage. Did they change anything in the last 30 days.

No I don't think anything changed, if it did the server side scripts wouldn't work either. The O2 site is very unreliable (although it's been better recently) so it's probably down to that.

Whenever someone reports that it's not working on a particular network I give it a while before doing any major troubleshooting beyond trying it out for myself because it's almost always a temporary problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

I know cabbage doesn't work on the N900, does anybody know one that will, on the Three network. Thanks.

• Advertisement

podge018 wrote: »
    I know cabbage doesn't work on the N900, does anybody know one that will, on the Three network. Thanks.

Someone was making one but I don't know if it ever went anywhere. You coils try this new web based one on my website: http://cabbagetexter.com/nweb/

or there's an older more basic one if data transfer is an issue

well I've been using one for a year on O2, just I switched to Three and it disappeared from my desktop.

I'll try that, thanks.

Cheers Sam,

Yup it was user error alright, As for the n900 app, I think the issue is symbian devs jumping ship on account of nokia moving to wp7

sorry, just reaslised I wasn't using one for a year, it was just a web based one I'd created a desktop shortcut for.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭cupthehand1

Sam whats the newest current mobile version of Cabbage available?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭funnyname

any chance of a save as draft option?

Sam whats the newest current mobile version of Cabbage available?

It's not listed on the site but the latest is 1.83 and you can get it by typing this address on your phone's browser: www.cabbagetexter.com/dl1.83

Assuming it's the java mobile version you're talking about that is

funnyname wrote: »
    any chance of a save as draft option?

On the desktop version?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭funnyname

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    On the desktop version?

Android please

Edit 1 - Also seems to have stopped working for latest update on 3 for samsung galaxy.

Edit 2 - Working again after uninstalled and reinstall.

Edit 3 - Defo something wrong with app and samsung galaxy and latest firmware update from 3, if I uninstall and reinstall it's fine but then if I use the phone to tether it stops working.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 CambridgeGuy

I made a Cabbage app for Windows Phone 7. It's called Webtextr. You can find it for free on the Marketplace. Or use this link to see it in Zune: http://social.zune.net/External/LaunchZuneProtocol.aspx?pathuri=navigate%3FphoneAppID%3D16d8cc8e-f656-e011-854c-00237de2db9e

It's basic enough at the moment, but I've been using it quite extensively myself before it got published. It sure is useful. It doesn't yet save previously sent messages. I'll get round to that soon, I hope.

There's actually another webtext app on the Marketplace called Sprout. (Despite the plant-ish name, I don't think it uses Cabbage.) I couldn't get this to work at all, though. So I thought I'd make my own.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭wilmer mclean

Hi just downloaded the cabbage desktop app and its great. Used to use it ages ago but stopped because it wasn't too reliable and sending web texts was just as easy. Have now started to use it again cause I moved to meteor and there web interface is terrible and requires you to enter one of them security codes every time you log in.The only problem I have with cabbage is that when I try and check for updates or test my account I get a runtime error 5? Also whats its reliability like with meteor?

funnyname wrote: »
    Android please

Edit 1 - Also seems to have stopped working for latest update on 3 for samsung galaxy.

Edit 2 - Working again after uninstalled and reinstall.

Edit 3 - Defo something wrong with app and samsung galaxy and latest firmware update from 3, if I uninstall and reinstall it's fine but then if I use the phone to tether it stops working.

Hi, sorry I forgot to get back to you. Are you still having problems? I use the app on a Samsung Galaxy myself and it's fine. And I tether my phone a good bit....

I made a Cabbage app for Windows Phone 7. It's called Webtextr. You can find it for free on the Marketplace. Or use this link to see it in Zune: http://social.zune.net/External/LaunchZuneProtocol.aspx?pathuri=navigate%3FphoneAppID%3D16d8cc8e-f656-e011-854c-00237de2db9e

It's basic enough at the moment, but I've been using it quite extensively myself before it got published. It sure is useful. It doesn't yet save previously sent messages. I'll get round to that soon, I hope.

There's actually another webtext app on the Marketplace called Sprout. (Despite the plant-ish name, I don't think it uses Cabbage.) I couldn't get this to work at all, though. So I thought I'd make my own.

Hi, I don't have a Windows phone so I can't try this out but it's good to see my webtext interface being put to use :)

Sprout does use Cabbage btw.

Hi just downloaded the cabbage desktop app and its great. Used to use it ages ago but stopped because it wasn't too reliable and sending web texts was just as easy. Have now started to use it again cause I moved to meteor and there web interface is terrible and requires you to enter one of them security codes every time you log in.The only problem I have with cabbage is that when I try and check for updates or test my account I get a runtime error 5? Also whats its reliability like with meteor?

Hi, what version of Windows are you on? Testing the account and checking for updates works fine for me on Vista.

Tell me, how long after you press either test account or check for updates do you get the error? Is it instant or does it happen a bit after you press the button (even half a second)?

And does the program close after the error pops up?

Hi, what version of Windows are you on? Testing the account and checking for updates works fine for me on Vista.

Tell me, how long after you press either test account or check for updates do you get the error? Is it instant or does it happen a bit after you press the button (even half a second)?

And does the program close after the error pops up?

Thanks for the response. I am using Windows 7 64 bit. The error message comes up pretty much instantly and the program always closes after it happens. I have only sent about 20 messages on it so far but all seem to have delivered.

Thanks for the response. I am using Windows 7 64 bit. The error message comes up pretty much instantly and the program always closes after it happens. I have only sent about 20 messages on it so far but all seem to have delivered.

I'll try it out on a windows 7 64 bit pc in the next day or two and see if I can reproduce the issue. If I can't I'll ask you to install a new version with some extra logging statements to try to narrow down the problem

Cheers thanks for the help.

Tried it also on a windows 7 32 bit machine and the same problem happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 CambridgeGuy

Hi, I don't have a Windows phone so I can't try this out but it's good to see my webtext interface being put to use :)

Sprout does use Cabbage btw.

Sprout seems to have disappeared since I published my app... http://sproutsms.codeplex.com/ is empty now.

The version of Sprout I downloaded from the official Market only supports O2, which lead me to think that it was their own implementation of a sending script. (Cos if it was Cabbage, every network would just automatically work).

This version was old though. Prior to it being deleted from CodePlex, I downloaded some versions of their source code that was newer. They appeared to support more networks, but I couldn't actually get it to run on my phone.

I should see if I still have that code to see what they'd implemented and how they'd done it.... (I'm not at home right now though..)

• Advertisement

Hi CambridgeGuy,

I am the owner of (what was) sprout sms. Unfortunately there are legal issues which mean I cannot use the name and had to take the project off CodePlex, I also have to take it off the Zune Marketplace too for the same reasons, I have requested the deletion via Microsoft. I can't go in to much more detail than that at the moment, suffice to say the whole thing has burned me out somewhat.

You are correct. The version on the Marketplace uses my own sending algorithm but I have also developed a wrapper around Cabbage (Which is what Sam has seen) that does all networks. The idea is to re launch as web sms with the new wrapper and a much slicker interface once I get the winding down of sprout sms finished. sprout sms was supposed to be an free / open source project but somebody else's greed shut it down.

Advertisement