Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ROVER

I have been using Cabbage Text for the last year or so and find it great. I am an occasional texter on the O2 network so it only costs on average 3c of data usage per text.

Today I received a text from O2 informing that “from July 28 mobile internet pricing will change to a flat charge of 99c per day for any daily data usage up to 50MB. Further info see 02.ie/notice.”

If I am reading this correctly it will cost me 99c if I only send 1 text via cabbage.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

ROVER wrote: »
    I have been using Cabbage Text for the last year or so and find it great. I am an occasional texter on the O2 network so it only costs on average 3c of data usage per text.

Today I received a text from O2 informing that “from July 28 mobile internet pricing will change to a flat charge of 99c per day for any daily data usage up to 50MB. Further info see 02.ie/notice.”

If I am reading this correctly it will cost me 99c if I only send 1 text via cabbage.:confused:

Another example of a big telco fleecing the little guy. Robbing b**tards:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Hornet

You might want to read the Terms&Conditions to find out the details. Vodafone has this 99cent flatrate for a long long time (and Meteor has a 69 cent flatrate). As far as I understand, in Vodafone's case, you are charged a usage dependent fee until you reach 99 cent and after that no additional fees are charged until midnight of that day if you stay below 50 MByte.

If that will be the same for O2 then nothing will change for you. However there is the advantage that even if you were to make use of up to 50 MByte you now know that the charges are capped.

Vodafone even offered this 99 cent data flatrate when abroad in European Vodafone countries, unfortunately that has been changed and now the charge for data roaming up to 50 MByte in a good few European Countries is EUR 2.99.

I'm having trouble with Cabbage desktop. I was getting an error and checked to see if there was an update. I upgraded unfortunately still can't send a text. This is the error:

Error (-7) Precheck: Network website failed.

I went to the o2 website and sent the text ok so I can't understand what the problem is. Apologies if I'm doing it wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

I'm having trouble with Cabbage desktop. I was getting an error and checked to see if there was an update. I upgraded unfortunately still can't send a text. This is the error:

I went to the o2 website and sent the text ok so I can't understand what the problem is. Apologies if I'm doing it wrong!

Exact same problem as me.

I downloaded Jelly SMS and works ok from same PC, but prefer Cabbage

• Advertisement

nava wrote: »

Thanks, I thought I was being simple as usual. I looked a little harder at the Cabbage website and it seems the version I upgraded to (1.97.4) was released in March. So I'm hoping Sam releases a fix! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Same problem for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

I like this product on Android, but ave to stop using it. The interface with Use Inbox set on is just too dodgie. It fails to pick up contacts (I.m told because of the way HTC store dashes) and now even picks up the wrong contact picture even though it has the correct name and number. Lots of other niggling things. Shame really. I'll keep an eye on future updates to see if things improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭cupthehand1

Yep same here with Vodafone

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

nava wrote: »

Thanks, I thought I was being simple as usual. I looked a little harder at the Cabbage website and it seems the version I upgraded to (1.97.4) was released in March. So I'm hoping Sam releases a fix! :)
    Yep same here with Vodafone

can all of you click more->configuration and tick "Send messages via intermediate server" to see if it makes any difference? I'm having the same problem with o2 but sending via the server works

• Advertisement

Unfortunately you're right. Apparently they're encouraging people to get data add ons.

3rdDegree wrote: »
    I like this product on Android, but ave to stop using it. The interface with Use Inbox set on is just too dodgie. It fails to pick up contacts (I.m told because of the way HTC store dashes) and now even picks up the wrong contact picture even though it has the correct name and number. Lots of other niggling things. Shame really. I'll keep an eye on future updates to see if things improve.

The problem with the dashes will be fixed in the next update and hopefully the picture problem will be fixed with the same change. It is to do with the way HTC stores contacts with dashes but I've worked around the problem.

What other little problems are you having?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Just errored out on vodafone here too, didn't change server at all before I tried to send, then it failed, forget the error, and then it gave me a runtime error -5 I think??? and cabbage just closed and I lost my text altogether, gone from outbox, gone from history (even though I choose to delete history upon exit anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    can all of you click more->configuration and tick "Send messages via intermediate server" to see if it makes any difference? I'm having the same problem with o2 but sending via the server works

That's worked for me and my colleagues. We would be lost without cabbage. :) It's brilliant!

Praetorian wrote: »
    That's worked for me and my colleagues. We would be lost without cabbage. :) It's brilliant!
    Yes that worked for me too. What does "send via intermediate server" mean? I'd like to echo the comments about Cabbage being brilliant too! :)

Yes that worked for me too. What does "send via intermediate server" mean? I'd like to echo the comments about Cabbage being brilliant too! :)

Under normal circumstances the desktop app sends messages directly to the network website whereas the two mobile clients send a very simple request to a php script on my server and this script does the work of connecting to the network website and sending the message. Then it returns back to the app the number of messages left.

The point of it is to keep data transfer down for mobile clients and to provide redundancy for cases just like this :)

cormie, did the change that the others have made work for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Thanks Sam that worked for me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭DavidJC

Unexpected response from website on Cabbage Android and Desktop today. Using Vodafone account. Tried both server and direct connection

I'm still getting -5 invalid response, even after ticking the box :(

What's it caused by I wonder?

• Advertisement

DavidJC wrote: »
    Unexpected response from website on Cabbage Android and Desktop today. Using Vodafone account. Tried both server and direct connection

cormie wrote: »
    I'm still getting -5 invalid response, even after ticking the box :(

What's it caused by I wonder?

Vodafone is working for me. can both of you log in to the vodafone website normally?

Just sent myself a text no probs from the VF website. Went back into my outbox, higlighted the failed text, clicked edit and now I get a Run Time error 9, subscript out of range and cabbage just closed again, reopened, nothing in outbox or history. Attempting to send another text from cabbage to myself now and it worked! :confused:

Aghh, just sent another text to someone else and it failed, invalid response from network site!

Vodafone is working fine for me on Cabbage desktop. With and without the intermediate server option.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

this prob was driving me mad for last couple of days, ticking that box did the trick, tnks a mill Sam, would be lost without me daily cabbage:D

Just sent myself a text no probs from the VF website. Went back into my outbox, higlighted the failed text, clicked edit and now I get a Run Time error 9, subscript out of range and cabbage just closed again, reopened, nothing in outbox or history. Attempting to send another text from cabbage to myself now and it worked! :confused:
    Aghh, just sent another text to someone else and it failed, invalid response from network site!
    Vodafone is working fine for me on Cabbage desktop. With and without the intermediate server option.

I think the vodafone website is having stability problems. Several people are reporting problems and I've had some messages fil myself but it starts to work again a few minutes later. Give it some time and hopefully it'll settle down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

fix worked for me too Sam thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

Hi Sam.

Am on VF, using Cabbage mobile 1.83, came across that -5 error a few times yesterday and today. Sent a text tonight ("That's all folks..."), and it didn't deliver. For some unknown reason (:rolleyes:) I decided to send it again after removing the apostrophe, the sms delivered fine :) Tried numerous times with different words, and all messages with apostrophes returned the -5 error, and the others delivered 1st time.

Hope that helps :)

CaSCaDe711

CaSCaDe711 wrote: »
    Hi Sam.

Am on VF, using Cabbage mobile 1.83, came across that -5 error a few times yesterday and today. Sent a text tonight ("That's all folks..."), and it didn't deliver. For some unknown reason (:rolleyes:) I decided to send it again after removing the apostrophe, the sms delivered fine :) Tried numerous times with different words, and all messages with apostrophes returned the -5 error, and the others delivered 1st time.

Hope that helps :)

CaSCaDe711
    First things first, could you upgrade to the latest 1.97.4 and see if it makes any difference?

• Advertisement

Upgrading won't fix it. I just logged into the vodafone website and tried to send a message with an apostrophe in it and it failed to send. Once again it looks like the guy doing some coding in his spare time is getting the blame for the mistakes of a corporation :(

Advertisement