Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Hmmmm, very odd indeed and slightly worrying. -30 is what you're supposed to get but it looks like you can't connect to my website at all over vodafone mobile internet. I'll look into it. Thanks for trying it out and glad you got it working :)
    Thank again for your help, I realise you must be swamped with requests from the sheer size of the thread. Hope you get it working and I'll be going to the paid version as soon as possible, thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

At work i can login to meteor and send texts from the meteor website but desktop cabbage cant connect to the site. Is this a catch the network admin put on or is there an alternative way around it?

test failed errror: (-2) could not connect to the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

At work i can login to meteor and send texts from the meteor website but desktop cabbage cant connect to the site. Is this a catch the network admin put on or is there an alternative way around it?

test failed errror: (-2) could not connect to the site.

Can you click more->extras->diagnose sending problems, follow the instructions and pm me the results please

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    What would be nice would be an option to clear the last text when you open the mobile program. Its a bit of pain having to go to the options and hit clear text.

Is this the android app or the java one?

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Sorry the Win 7 phone version.

What is the name of the app you're using? I don't have a win7 phone version but there are a few that use my server as a back end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

Hi Sam,
    Moved machine today from XP to Windows 7 here at work and would love all my Cabbage history, phonebook etc. to work exactly as it did on XP. I ran the latest installer on Windows 7 and found a load of files here on the original XP machine (C:\Documents and Settings\mmoran\Application Data\Cabbage). There does not seem to be a corresponding directory on Windows 7 that I can copy all these to though?

Cheers,
    M

madmoe wrote: »
    Hi Sam,
    Moved machine today from XP to Windows 7 here at work and would love all my Cabbage history, phonebook etc. to work exactly as it did on XP. I ran the latest installer on Windows 7 and found a load of files here on the original XP machine (C:\Documents and Settings\mmoran\Application Data\Cabbage). There does not seem to be a corresponding directory on Windows 7 that I can copy all these to though?

Cheers,
    M

Hi, the location on Windows Vista and 7 is C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\cabbage

You might have to make hidden folders visible to see it. You can also get to the folder by clicking start->programs->cabbage->cabbage logs

Hi, the location on Windows Vista and 7 is C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\cabbage

You might have to make hidden folders visible to see it. You can also get to the folder by clicking start->programs->cabbage->cabbage logs

Happy days Sam! That worked a treat mate :-)

M

Happy days Sam! That worked a treat mate :-)

M

Hi Sam,
    All was working fine until this morning now I keep getting a message saying "Cabbage has stopped working", windows is checking for a solution to the problem each time I click Send? Happening no matter who I try to send to and no matter what the text is? I tried an uninstall and re-install but keeps happening :-( On Windows 7 Professional.....

Cheers,
    M

Hi Sam,
    All was working fine until this morning now I keep getting a message saying "Cabbage has stopped working", windows is checking for a solution to the problem each time I click Send? Happening no matter who I try to send to and no matter what the text is? I tried an uninstall and re-install but keeps happening :-( On Windows 7 Professional.....

Cheers,
    M

Can you rename that cabbage folder to something else and install the program again?

And if remaming the folder fixes the problem would you be able to zip it up and email it to cabbagetexting[at]gmail.com

• Advertisement

Can you rename that cabbage folder to something else and install the program again?

And if remaming the folder fixes the problem would you be able to zip it up and email it to cabbagetexting[at]gmail.com

Morning Sam, renaming the folder and then re-installing has indeed fixed the issue. Now though my phonebook and history are empty :-( Which folder do you want me to zip up and send to you? The new Cabbage folder or the old one? I renamed it to Cabbage.old....

Cheers,
    M

Morning Sam, renaming the folder and then re-installing has indeed fixed the issue. Now though my phonebook and history are empty :-( Which folder do you want me to zip up and send to you? The new Cabbage folder or the old one? I renamed it to Cabbage.old....

Cheers,
    M
    I'd like you to zip up the old one. One of the files has become corrupted and if I can find which one it is I should be able to fix it and send the whole lot back to you so you can get your history etc back

Getting this error message when I try to attach the .zip file in Gmail?? Should I remove .exe files before sending or rename them and then zip??

Error

Cabbage.old.zip contains an executable file. For security reasons, Gmail does not allow you to send this type of file.

Getting this error message when I try to attach the .zip file in Gmail?? Should I remove .exe files before sending or rename them and then zip??

Error

Cabbage.old.zip contains an executable file. For security reasons, Gmail does not allow you to send this type of file.

Yeah sorry you should remove cabbagesender.exe and cabbagesender2.exe and then you should be able to send it

On its way Sam....

On its way Sam....

Hmmmm, I can't make this crash, It's working fine for me. I'm on vista so maybe it's a windows 7 issue.

I'd like you to try something for me please. What I'd like you to do is put one file at a time from the old directory into the new one (replace the file in the new directory with the old one) and try to send a message each time. You should put them back in this order:

1. logins171.txt
    2. vars.txt
    3. All files with 'book' in their names
    4. history.txt and historycache.txt

If you put one of those files (or group of files) back and the program stops working again let me know which one caused the problem. If you put them all back and the program is still working then happy days because you'll have your logins, phone book and history back :)

Hmmmm, I can't make this crash, It's working fine for me. I'm on vista so maybe it's a windows 7 issue.

I'd like you to try something for me please. What I'd like you to do is put one file at a time from the old directory into the new one (replace the file in the new directory with the old one) and try to send a message each time. You should put them back in this order:

1. logins171.txt
    2. vars.txt
    3. All files with 'book' in their names
    4. history.txt and historycache.txt

If you put one of those files (or group of files) back and the program stops working again let me know which one caused the problem. If you put them all back and the program is still working then happy days because you'll have your logins, phone book and history back :)

Replaced each one as advised Sam and it's sending fine now and all my history plus phonebooks are back :-) Nothing has crashed so far....

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I sync all my cabbage files between windows 7 (64) and XP on a number of machines, laptops and its not caused a crash in it self. However I do find I get errors when I use the app to edit the phone book. But it works despite the errors.

Replaced each one as advised Sam and it's sending fine now and all my history plus phonebooks are back :-) Nothing has crashed so far....

M

Good. Let's hope it stays that way :)
    BostonB wrote: »
    I sync all my cabbage files between windows 7 (64) and XP on a number of machines, laptops and its not caused a crash in it self. However I do find I get errors when I use the app to edit the phone book. But it works despite the errors.

You get errors when editing contacts? What kind of errors?

Well I can't reproduce it now you ask me. Maybe it was an older release. Ignore it for now.

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote: »
    Well I can't reproduce it now you ask me. Maybe it was an older release. Ignore it for now.

That's what I like to hear :P

Other than provider issues Cabbage on the desktop has been rock solid for me for years. Greatly appreciated.

A note for people using the www.cabbagetexter.com server to send messages from their own apps etc:

My web hosting has limited the length of parameters allowed in HTTP GET requests to 512 for security reasons so if someone sends a message with more than 512 characters the message parameter comes throught to the script blank and the message fails.

I've updated the script to work around the problem though. If someone tries to send a message with more than 512 characters the message can be split up into 512 character chunks and sent as separate parameters. So the first 512 characters should be sent with the parameter m= as normal, then the next 512 should be sent as m1=. The next 512 should be m2= etc.

This code is what I use to do it:
    String tempMessage=message;
    String splitMessages="m=";
    for(int i=1;tempMessage.length()>0;i++){
    	if(tempMessage.length()>512){
    		splitMessages+=URLencode(tempMessage.substring(0,512)) + "&m" + i + "=";
    		tempMessage=tempMessage.substring(512,tempMessage.length());
    	}else{
    		splitMessages+=URLencode(tempMessage);
    		tempMessage="";
    	}
    }
    urlEncodedMessageParameter=splitMessages;

This only matters if requests to the server are being sent as GET requests. If you're sending them as HTTP POST messages can be as long as you want

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dean_Mc

Cheers for the update :)

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Craigels

is there anyway for me to reply by default with this app rather than having to read my message and then having to go out of it and into the app to reply it so annoying having to do it everytime

any ideas guys ?

Craigels wrote: »
    is there anyway for me to reply by default with this app rather than having to read my message and then having to go out of it and into the app to reply it so annoying having to do it everytime

Assuming you're talking about the Android version, yes there is. Cabbage Ultimate :)

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.cabbagetexter.android.cabbageultimate

It's 99c though

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dean_Mc

Sam, I emailed you but I wanted to check too, does the new url structure affect the old one if I do &m=<a message less than 512> does it still work?

Dean_Mc wrote: »
    Sam, I emailed you but I wanted to check too, does the new url structure affect the old one if I do &m=<a message less than 512> does it still work?

Yeah that still works. I found out about this new restriction because one person emailed me about long messages not working. I haven't released the fix yet because it seems most people don't send messages that are long enough to notice the problem :)

• Advertisement

Craigels wrote: »

Assuming you're talking about the Android version, yes there is. Cabbage Ultimate :)

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.cabbagetexter.android.cabbageultimate

It's 99c though

Thanks it works a charm

Advertisement