Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭muirsheen

Apologies if this has been asked before, I did a search and could not find the answer.

Does cabbage work on the Blackberry 8520.

thanks in advance

m

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dean_Mc

Hi all,

So I have sendu certified, its a WP7 client for cabbage that targets Mango, so if you have Mango, get yourself some sendu, more info: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056330438

PS Sam, I'm nearly done moving host, I will set you know when its sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

muirsheen wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been asked before, I did a search and could not find the answer.

Does cabbage work on the Blackberry 8520.

thanks in advance

m

It has Java MIDP 2.0 so it should, this one: http://cabbagetexter.com/cabbagemobiledownload.php

You might have to change a setting in the internet settings to allow the app to access the internet. Tell me what network you're on and I'll tell you how to change the setting

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hey Sam, was the vodafone character issue ever solved? I just sent myself a text with the € symbol and see it's not correct in the received text. Also, paragraphs just came as spaces?

Ver 1.97.4

cormie wrote: »
    Hey Sam, was the vodafone character issue ever solved? I just sent myself a text with the € symbol and see it's not correct in the received text. Also, paragraphs just came as spaces?

Ver 1.97.4

Hi, if you tick the "Send messages using intermediate server" option the euro symbol should come out fine. Oddly the euro symbol appears fine in Cabbage Ultimate on the Xperia X8 but appears as a box in the default message app.

It doesn't look like the new line issue was ever fixed. I just sent myself some messages and the new lines were changed to spaces.There's not a lot I can do about it I'm afraid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Have Send Via ticked on desktop and it still comes out as a box? Maybe I'll just use e instead :)

cormie wrote: »
    Have Send Via ticked on desktop and it still comes out as a box? Maybe I'll just use e instead :)

Sounds like a good idea. As I said it comes out fine in Cabbage Ultimate so it looks like it's being sent correctly but my default app doesn't display it properly. All very odd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Similarly to the SMS forwarding. Is there a way to have a sms sent to a another phone if a phone receives a call. I've an old number that I don't use but still get the odd call on. I leave the sim in an old phone and check on it occasionally. Be handy to get a txt to my new number if it receives a call.

BostonB wrote: »
    Similarly to the SMS forwarding. Is there a way to have a sms sent to a another phone if a phone receives a call. I've an old number that I don't use but still get the odd call on. I leave the sim in an old phone and check on it occasionally. Be handy to get a txt to my new number if it receives a call.

Yeah that would be possible. I'm sure there's a good reason for this but can you not just divert calls from the old number to the new one? Is that you don't want to have to keep it topped up to pay for the call diversion?

Exactly. Its usually an old sim with no credit.

Had to do this recently as some better new plans were only available to new customers, not for those already on the network. So I ported a new number from another network, and am retiring my old number. Just leaving it plugged in at home.

It might also be useful, if your travelling, and get a local sim say for data and local rates. But you could leave your home sim/phone in the hotel or at home connected to wifi, or mobile data if you've a plan, and plugged in to forward you the info as webtexts, thus avoiding roaming charges. On O2 at least webtexts are free internationally. Some other networks might allow free webtexts to the UK. I know some people switch phone when in UK/Ireland.

Maybe theres a simpler way though.

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote: »
    Exactly. Its usually an old sim with no credit.

Had to do this recently as some better new plans were only available to new customers, not for those already on the network. So I ported a new number from another network, and am retiring my old number. Just leaving it plugged in at home.

It might also be useful, if your travelling, and get a local sim say for data and local rates. But you could leave your home sim/phone in the hotel or at home connected to wifi, or mobile data if you've a plan, and plugged in to forward you the info as webtexts, thus avoiding roaming charges. On O2 at least webtexts are free internationally. Some other networks might allow free webtexts to the UK. I know some people switch phone when in UK/Ireland.

Maybe theres a simpler way though.
    I don't think there's a simpler way without paying for it, a text sent over wifi sounds like a good idea. I'll look into adding an option to the text forwarding to send notifications of missed calls too

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Yeah that's right. Remember for three you use the login for webtext.three.ie which is different to the one for My3
    Sam, did you update cabbage for Three?
    I see they have webtext http://webtext.three.ie/login.jsp
    but your FAQ page says no:
    3. What networks are supported?
    Vodafone Ireland, O2 Ireland and Meteor Ireland. 3 Ireland do not offer web texts and so are not supported by Cabbage
    http://cabbagetexter.com/cabbagedesktopfaq.php#3

but then you say:
    Version 1.95.4
    Added support for www.three.ie webtexts

I might switch to 3 but still want to use Cabbage, brilliant stuff. Use it many times a day.

biko wrote: »
    Sam, did you update cabbage for Three?
    I see they have webtext http://webtext.three.ie/login.jsp
    but your FAQ page says no:

http://cabbagetexter.com/cabbagedesktopfaq.php#3

but then you say:

I might switch to 3 but still want to use Cabbage, brilliant stuff. Use it many times a day.
    Why whatever do you mean? That FAQ page says it supports 3.

< <

> >

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Lol, thanks for the update.

and you're welcome ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

Hi all. Cabbage Mobile (1.83) suddenly stopped working for me today, using on a 5800, Vodafone SIM, am getting the following error.

An exception occured text:-1
    Class:class java.io.
    IOException
    To String:java.io.IOException:

Error appears right after I select Allow For This Session. Reinstalled Cabbage but error still appears. Is it the app, or the phone? Sending texts from Vodafone website is fine, but

CaSCaDe711 wrote: »
    Hi all. Cabbage Mobile (1.83) suddenly stopped working for me today, using on a 5800, Vodafone SIM, am getting the following error.

An exception occured text:-1
    Class:class java.io.
    IOException
    To String:java.io.IOException:

Error appears right after I select Allow For This Session. Reinstalled Cabbage but error still appears. Is it the app, or the phone? Sending texts from Vodafone website is fine, but

That's a bit of an odd error because it seems there are two things going on. Firstly an IO Exception generally means an internet connectivity problem but the -1 text is what the server side script returns if your password is wrong, and you wouldn't get that text if the app couldn't connect to the website.

Can you go to both of these links on your phone's browser and get the -30 response?

http://cabbagetexter.com/send.php
    http://powermyphone.com/cabbage/send.php

And what happens when you try to check for updates on the app?

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    That's a bit of an odd error because it seems there are two things going on. Firstly an IO Exception generally means an internet connectivity problem but the -1 text is what the server side script returns if your password is wrong, and you wouldn't get that text if the app couldn't connect to the website.

Can you go to both of these links on your phone's browser and get the -30 response?

http://cabbagetexter.com/send.php
    http://powermyphone.com/cabbage/send.php

And what happens when you try to check for updates on the app?

Hi Sam.

Seems to be the phone, as I get the "Connection Not Available" error when trying to update Cabbage, or access the above (and any other) web pages :rolleyes:

Have the Default Connection set up to Always Ask, but now instead of asking me and then displaying available access points, it throws up an error.

Maybe something is corrupted? :confused:

Hi Sam.

Seems to be the phone, as I get the "Connection Not Available" error when trying to update Cabbage, or access the above (and any other) web pages :rolleyes:

Have the Default Connection set up to Always Ask, but now instead of asking me and then displaying available access points, it throws up an error.

Maybe something is corrupted? :confused:

Sounds like it alright. Time for a factory reset methinks

Yep, did the Red-Green-Camera-Power Button reset, & managed to send an SMS via Cabbage :D ... Tried getting the VF settings sent to my phone from the site (so I can keep the Config SMS saved), but (unsurprisingly) there was an error. Might just have to browse Boards to get info and create the VF ISP access point myself :rolleyes:

Yep, did the Red-Green-Camera-Power Button reset, & managed to send an SMS via Cabbage :D ... Tried getting the VF settings sent to my phone from the site (so I can keep the Config SMS saved), but (unsurprisingly) there was an error. Might just have to browse Boards to get info and create the VF ISP access point myself :rolleyes:

For both live and isp you should just be able to enter the apn and leave the rest as default. They're live.vodafone.com and isp.vodafone.ie

• Advertisement

Cheers Sam.

As all is working fine again, I'll now backup the phone settings to the memory card (and onto the pc). Thanks for the support, much appreciated.

By the way, I always thought it wasn't Cabbage causing the problem :P

CaSCaDe711 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Anyone else getting

Error: (-5) invalid response received from network site,

on o2, not changed any passwords or settings, on latest cabbage.

Problem there the last few days. I have "send messages via intermediate server" ticked,

On a funny note, in our office, a bunch of people use cabbage texter, and it has now become a verb, to cabbage.

Same here. I wonder is it related the phishing sms that seemed to be widespread on O2 recently. Or this...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056411037

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

Not working for me either :-(

madmoe wrote: »
    Not working for me either :-(

Same here, on Cabbage Mobile I can check how many O2 texts I have remaining, but get the (-5) error when trying to send one :confused:

Hi, see here: www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74805340&postcount=789

O2 are doing something to their website

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

damn o2, unbelievable how much they annoy me these days.

thanks Sam, once again you are the man!

The java app should be working again now and the desktop one should work for people who have "Send messages via intermediate server" ticked under More->Configuration

• Registered Users Posts: 17 echo59

I just set Cabbage 1.97.5 to send via an intermediate server. I had been getting the same error message as other o2 users. I sent a message and it seemed to go, however I had the o2 website open and I checked my sent messages to make sure.

The message sent via Cabbage had a "Sent" status which remained like that for a while. I resent it in the web interface and it delivered immediately. However, my original message has not been "Delivered". Did a test message to myself and it came through, but is still being listed as "Sent" but not "Delivered".

So, are o2 still acting the maggot???

• Advertisement

echo59 wrote: »
    I just set Cabbage 1.97.5 to send via an intermediate server. I had been getting the same error message as other o2 users. I sent a message and it seemed to go, however I had the o2 website open and I checked my sent messages to make sure.

The message sent via Cabbage had a "Sent" status which remained like that for a while. I resent it in the web interface and it delivered immediately. However, my original message has not been "Delivered". Did a test message to myself and it came through, but is still being listed as "Sent" but not "Delivered".

So, are o2 still acting the maggot???

Sounds like it. Cabbage goes as far as making the send request so the fact that you can see the message in the report section means Cabbage did its job. It's up to o2 to make sure the message delivers. I'll look into it though and see if it happens with every message

Advertisement