Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

sxt wrote: »
    Hey

Is it possible to know the number of the last person that you texted?

Yep, just go to 'History' in settings :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭sxt

madmoe wrote: »
    Yep, just go to 'History' in settings :-)

cheers! , I have the outdated version it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Damien360 wrote: »
    Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Hi, the Java app isn't working for O2 I'm afraid since O2 blocked my server. That app could only ever send messages though my server and I haven't been able to get it to send the messages directly to the O2 website yet.

If you have your own hosting I can give you the php scripts for sending messages and you can upload them there. In the app there's a setting to use your hosting instead of mine

To be honest I am not really sure what you mean by my own hosting (I assume through the company VPN which I have access to) but I am guessing the companys IT dept would have to get involved to load the scripts. Not a hope in hell of that happening.

Thanks for the reply

Damien
    I mean if you have your own website you could upload the scripts there and within the app change the server from http://cabbagetexter.com to your own site

dahamsta wrote: »
    Great desktop app, have it loaded into PortableApps via Dropbox so I can use it anywhere. This thread reminded me to load it onto my Sensation, because I went over my SMS allocation last month. The free and paid apps have two different authors though, why is that? I'm already way of people trading on others brand names with crap.
    The free one was started by a friend of mine with my permission and using my server in the background. When he didn't have time for it anymore I took over so they're both published by me now

BostonB wrote: »
    Sam does the lite or the full android version to scheduled texts like the desktop one?
    Both lite and full support scheduled messages.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Thanks Sam Vimes. What are the differences between the versions?

dahamsta wrote: »
    Thanks Sam Vimes. What are the differences between the versions?
    The paid app can receive incoming messages and give notifications for them etc so you can use it as your main SMS app and disable notifications in the stock app

It also supports SMS forwarding. You tell it the account you want to use for the forwarding (or select real SMS) and the number you want messages to be forwarded to and when a message arrives on the phone it gets forwarded to the specified number. It can forward notifications of missed calls too. The phone has to be on to do this btw.

I use it because I have a work phone that I rarely get called or texted on so I leave it in a drawer and have all texts and call notifications forwarded. And if I need to text someone back I use the webtext login for the work number in Cabbage so the person never even realises I don't have the phone with me :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Cool, thanks. Keep up the good work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

A while back I posted this question, as messages were showing in the wrong order.

I've noticed this occurring more often now. Is this because the clock on my phone is potentially moving further away from the clock used to timestamp in the incoming message?

I'm now seeing messages a good 2-3 mins appearing above the one I sent.

Jagera wrote: »
    A while back I posted this question, as messages were showing in the wrong order.

I've noticed this occurring more often now. Is this because the clock on my phone is potentially moving further away from the clock used to timestamp in the incoming message?

I'm now seeing messages a good 2-3 mins appearing above the one I sent.

Yes that would be why. I'm planning to change that in the next release.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Hi there.

I didn't search through the thread looking for the specific solution to my problem if there is at all, but this Java app worked fine on my E7 on the meteor network - that was until I ported over to Tesco mobile.

There isn't a drop down with this cabbage app for Tesco mobile on the E7.

Is there any reason for this and will TM not be included?

If you could help I'd be grateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

du Maurier wrote: »
    Hi there.

I didn't search through the thread looking for the specific solution to my problem if there is at all, but this Java app worked fine on my E7 on the meteor network - that was until I ported over to Tesco mobile.

There isn't a drop down with this cabbage app for Tesco mobile on the E7.

Is there any reason for this and will TM not be included?

If you could help I'd be grateful.

Are you using the latest version?

I think I am. Would 1.83 be the latest version or am I well off. I think that was the best option available.

du Maurier wrote: »
    I think I am. Would 1.83 be the latest version or am I well off. I think that was the best option available.

I have no idea. Go to the Cabbage Website and download the latest one there. Can't be doing all the work for you.

RangeR wrote: »
    I have no idea. Go to the Cabbage Website and download the latest one there. Can't be doing all the work for you.

Eh? No, I didn't expect you to. I thought by your question that you might have a definitive idea of what was the most recent one so that I could try that. Anyway..

The Java version doesn't support Tesco yet I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭JethroC

Hi Sam,
    I have a feature request for the desktop version of cabbage.
    On the 'Manage Phone Book' section how hard would it be to impliment an option to 'import google contacts' where it would do a one way transfer of all the contacts with phone numbers from a Gmail account to the cabbage app.

iContact (http://sajadi.co.uk/icontact) is an open source program (http://code.google.com/p/google-contacts) for windows that does a good job of taking Gmail contacts and displaying them in a desktop application.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

This would be a much appreciated feature by myself too. Although I import contacts from a certain group from within Gmail contacts, each has a phone number anyway. As it stands now, to update cabbage I need to go to gmail, go to contacts, go to export, click the group I want to export, save it to desktop, open cabbage, go to phone book, import from file, click a few buttons and it updates it. Would be very handy if this was all done with a single click :)

Hi JethroC, as cormie says it is currently possible to import contacts from Google but the process is more involved than a single click.

To be honest I'd rather not add a feature like that because once people start entering their google passwords into my app I'm leaving myself open to accusations from anyone who has their account hacked. If there was a major benefit from the feature I'd be more inclined to do it but it is already possible to do what you want to do and it works for just about anyone, not just gmail users.

Would cabbage need access to Gmail login info if it did it through say, Firefox, which would already be logged in itself?

• Advertisement

cormie wrote: »
    Would cabbage need access to Gmail login info if it did it through say, Firefox, which would already be logged in itself?

I doubt that would work and I would be very disappointed in Firefox if any program I installed could access my gmail account through it without any kind of authentication. I know it's possible to load an internet explorer object within visual Basic but I again doubt that IE's cookies would be made available to it

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭JethroC

Hi Sam,
    I understand what you're saying but If your source code is publicly available (which it is on http://cabbagetexter.com/source.php) then the accusations (if any) would be without foundation. I have been exporting and importing contacts like Cormie has been doing but new contacts are added frequently or updated then it can be a pain.

It would be a great feature to have in an already fantastic little program.

Ah yes I can put the source code on my website but that's not a guarantee that the code on the website is the same as what's running on people's computers ;)

How about if I added a feature to the Cabbage Android app to sync contacts between the Android and desktop apps? Would that be of any use to you?

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    How about if I added a feature to the Cabbage Android app to sync contacts between the Android and desktop apps? Would that be of any use to you?

++++++ Yes Sir. Proceed. Cabbage Ultimate thanks you.

I don't fully understand, what would it do? :)

Android app gets its contacts via google, and then sends these to the desktop app somehow?

Thankfully I have an android phone, but don't use the android app (sorry :D) as I rarely text off my phone (because I use the desktop app so much) and have enough texts in my bundle to not need to worry about charges.

I don't fully understand, what would it do? :)

Android app gets its contacts via google, and then sends these to the desktop app somehow?

Thankfully I have an android phone, but don't use the android app (sorry :D) as I rarely text off my phone (because I use the desktop app so much) and have enough texts in my bundle to not need to worry about charges.

The Android app wouldn't get the contacts via google exactly, it would use your phone's contacts (which the app already has access to) which should already be synced with google.

Then yes, it would send them to the desktop app. I haven't worked out exactly how that would be done yet but it'll probably involve uploading them to my website temporarily so the desktop app can download them

Ah ok cool. Would it be possible to do only a certain group somehow aswell or would that complicate things?

Ah ok cool. Would it be possible to do only a certain group somehow aswell or would that complicate things?

That should be doable. What do you mean by a certain group exactly? What I'm picturing is the app shows a list of contacts and you tick the ones you want to sync......

Well in my gmail contacts I have:

All contacts, my contacts, "custom group" etc

I only want "custom group" contacts showing up if possible?

• Advertisement

Well in my gmail contacts I have:

All contacts, my contacts, "custom group" etc

I only want "custom group" contacts showing up if possible?
    I can look into it at least. I'm actually looking at this now: http://code.google.com/apis/accounts/docs/OAuth2.html#installed

I remembered that this service existed at some point yesterday. It gives applications access to specific google services without letting the developer know the user's password. I think that's the best way to go about it rather than doing it via the Android app

Advertisement