Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mikebl71

Sam, btw, did you consider using tesseract on the server side? If cabbagetexter.com is a linux box, you can install command-line tesseract on it and call it from php scripts to decode captchas. If you are worried about bandwidth, they are actually fairly small, around 1k. In this case, all clients would be able to benefit from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

cormie wrote: »
    Thanks Sam, the import worked anyway but threw up a conflict box which I didn't fully understand, I cancelled it rather than choosing any of the options and saving and it seemed ok.

Suggestions would be to add "delete and backup current contacts before import" and also to be able to choose a specific group in contacts to import? Great to have it back working again!

Just sent another small donation for the upkeep :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

So whos up to the task of making a Windows 8 Cabbage app? :)

Also whats the story with not being able to use web texts with 3? I tried the intermediate server thing, but it didn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

Also whats the story with not being able to use web texts with 3? I tried the intermediate server thing, but it didn't work.

Works OK on Three for me?

Lardy wrote: »
    Works OK on Three for me?

Do you log in with your mobile number and pin or the password?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Works for me too, logged in with my number and pin.
    Agree about the Windows 8 app though, Sam? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

Do you log in with your mobile number and pin or the password?

Mobile number and webtext password. Should be a 5 or 6 digit number I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Nobody uses windows 8.

Lardy wrote: »
    Mobile number and webtext password. Should be a 5 or 6 digit number I think.

Trying that, keep getting errors though when doing the verification thing.
    RangeR wrote: »
    Nobody uses windows 8.

Guess I'm a nobody then. So is the other 60 million licences that were sold since the launch of Windows 8.

My mum has an actual Windows 8 laptop, so does her other half. I'm using it on my desktop + all the other people who buy a laptop. Id actually pay for a good looking Windows 8 Cabbage client. You could snap it to the left or the right of your monitor and keep it open for texting.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Why an app? Cabbage works fine in W8 as a program :)
    RangeR wrote: »
    Nobody uses windows 8.

Some of us have moved on from the glorious (you can't beat it) Windows XP :p

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Why an app? Cabbage works fine in W8 as a program :)

Cabbage wont work in Windows RT cause it cant run on the desktop. I'm sure one will come eventually, I think the idea is the more metro apps you have the less need there is to peek at the desktop + it would suit the whole metro theme :) Cabbage on desktop feels pre-XP era :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I'm using W8 too but no interest in Metro apps. Programs work just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Thanks Sam, the import worked anyway but threw up a conflict box which I didn't fully understand, I cancelled it rather than choosing any of the options and saving and it seemed ok.
    The conflict box is for contacts that have more than one number associated with the same name. What you do is tick the name and then the number that you want to save, either the number that was already saved or the newly imported one. If you clicked cancel on it it will mean that all of the contacts kept the numbers they already had and ignored the imported ones.

The conflict box also highlights landline numbers so that you don't have to import contacts that you can't actually send a message to. If you don't select the landline numbers they won't import
    Suggestions would be to add "delete and backup current contacts before import" and also to be able to choose a specific group in contacts to import? Great to have it back working again!
    You can already do the first thing. If you click More->Manage Phone book you'll see a button labelled "Undo last import". I'll look into handling different groups

mikebl71 wrote: »
    Sam, btw, did you consider using tesseract on the server side? If cabbagetexter.com is a linux box, you can install command-line tesseract on it and call it from php scripts to decode captchas. If you are worried about bandwidth, they are actually fairly small, around 1k. In this case, all clients would be able to benefit from it.

I did consider running it on the server side and bandwidth isn't the problem. In fact it would take less bandwidth because currently the server side script downloads the captcha to my server and then the program downloads it from there so I could cut out the second part

The problem is CPU usage. Tesseract uses a lot of CPU power to decode the images and a lot of messages can be sent through the server at any given time. My website is hosted on a shared server and too much CPU usage could take down the whole server so I decided to distribute the load to the clients

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    The conflict box is for contacts that have more than one number associated with the same name. What you do is tick the name and then the number that you want to save, either the number that was already saved or the newly imported one. If you clicked cancel on it it will mean that all of the contacts kept the numbers they already had and ignored the imported ones.

The conflict box also highlights landline numbers so that you don't have to import contacts that you can't actually send a message to. If you don't select the landline numbers they won't import

Ah that's cool, yeah the conflicting numbers I think were pretty much all landline if I recall. I'll definitely be importing all numbers though as I use cabbage for more than just texting too, it's very handy for a quick number look up :)

You can already do the first thing. If you click More->Manage Phone book you'll see a button labelled "Undo last import". I'll look into handling different groups

That's cool, thanks Sam!

As for Windows 8, I'm not going to be doing it any time soon but anyone who wants to is welcome to the code as a jumping off point :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mikebl71

.. currently the server side script downloads the captcha to my server and then the program downloads it from there so I could cut out the second part ..
    Could you put the new scripts to your "Source code" page, pls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭v10

Excellent work, works great for me on vodafone. I use non installed version as portable app on my usb drive.
    Hi, I've uploaded a version that should work with Vodafone's captcha and should work for people who are using O2 from abroad or through a proxy with a foreign IP address. You can download it here:

http://cabbagetexter.com/Cabbage_Setup_1.99_1.exe

or get the version without an installer here:
    http://cabbagetexter.com/cabbage_1.99_1.zip

give it a shot and let me know if it works for you. If you're using the installed version you should make a backup of this folder before installing it just in case:

%appdata%\cabbage

That should redirect to: C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\cabbage

this version supports importing contacts from google too btw

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

Hi I have installed latest version, when i go to send message, the captcha comes up and I enter that, then it prompts me to download, and when I do I get the following error messages

Class does not support Automation or does not support expected interface
    Failed to download Tesseract OCR software

(With vodafone)

sassyj wrote: »
    Hi I have installed latest version, when i go to send message, the captcha comes up and I enter that, then it prompts me to download, and when I do I get the following error messages

Class does not support Automation or does not support expected interface
    Failed to download Tesseract OCR software

(With vodafone)

Hi, are you using the program from behind a firewall or proxy, maybe at work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm using v1.99 and just noticed today that I don't have history

If I open history.txt from inside the program the file is empty.
    Eve if I move an old history file into the cabbage directory the history field remains empty and the program doesn't save history.

I'll reinstall and try again.

Edit: no, reinstall didn't help.

biko wrote: »
    I'm using v1.99 and just noticed today that I don't have history

If I open history.txt from inside the program the file is empty.
    Eve if I move an old history file into the cabbage directory the history field remains empty and the program doesn't save history.

I'll reinstall and try again.

Can you click more->configuration and tick "store message history"

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Can you click more->configuration and tick "store message history"
    Sweet, that did the job thanks!
    Maybe storing should be default? It usually is on phones.

biko wrote: »
    Sweet, that did the job thanks!
    Maybe storing should be default? It usually is on phones.
    It should be. I think it's a bug that I forgot all about

I'd love to share cabbage phone list + history between a PC and a laptop (both always connected to the internet and both on the home network)

So basically, when I send a txt on my laptop, I want it to appear in the history of my PC. When I add a contact on my PC, I want it to be there on the laptop, etc. The key thing is that this should work if either one of the PC or laptop is switched off. So I probably need to store the history / contacts on the cloud.

Anyone any suggestion how to do that?

unkel wrote: »
    I'd love to share cabbage phone list + history between a PC and a laptop (both always connected to the internet and both on the home network)

So basically, when I send a txt on my laptop, I want it to appear in the history of my PC. When I add a contact on my PC, I want it to be there on the laptop, etc. The key thing is that this should work if either one of the PC or laptop is switched off. So I probably need to store the history / contacts on the cloud.

Anyone any suggestion how to do that?

You could do it with drop box (or any such program). Download the version of Cabbage without an installer and unzip it into your drop box folder. The non-install verion stores all of its data in a folder that sits alongside the main exe so any changes made to it will automatically be synced by drop box

Will the data not be in two different files (one each from laptop/desktop) of the same name though, but with different contents? A drop box synch would overwrite one with the other unless the history and contacts are stored individually. Which I presume you're saying is the case in the non install version.

You could do it with drop box (or any such program). Download the version of Cabbage without an installer and unzip it into your drop box folder. The non-install verion stores all of its data in a folder that sits alongside the main exe so any changes made to it will automatically be synced by drop box

Never thought of using the non-install version. Thanks a million Sam, it's working great :)
    BostonB wrote: »
    Will the data not be in two different files (one each from laptop/desktop)

Nope, just run cabbage.exe directly from your dropbox folder. Any update to history / contacts will be updated to your other PC via the dropbox folder in the cloud

It is easy enough to manipulate older (saved) data from your backed up files too into the new ones: history.txt, historycache.txt and book.txt in the cabbagedata directory :)

I can't do that direct access to Dropbox as its blocked in some places where I use cabbage.

How do you manipulate old and new files? Do you have a tool to do that, or do you do it manually.

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote: »
    Will the data not be in two different files (one each from laptop/desktop) of the same name though, but with different contents? A drop box synch would overwrite one with the other unless the history and contacts are stored individually. Which I presume you're saying is the case in the non install version.

The history and contacts are stored individually in separate files but that wouldn't matter tbh. When you run the program directly from your drop box folder, any changes that are made to the history or contacts are immediately synced to drop box and propagated to any other computers where you have drop box installed.

So you do have two copies of each of the history and contacts files, one on each computer, but they always have the same contents, or at least they do as soon as drop box syncs any changes you made to them

Advertisement