Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

BostonB wrote: »
    I can't do that direct access to Dropbox as its blocked in some places where I use cabbage.

How do you manipulate old and new files? Do you have a tool to do that, or do you do it manually.

There are a few alternatives to drop box like sugar sync and google Drive. could you check them out?
    How do you manipulate old and new files? Do you have a tool to do that, or do you do it manually.
    I'm not sure what you mean by this. What files do you want to manipulate and what exactly do you want to do to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Manually. Very straight forward, they are all just simple text files

@Sam - he means he has two different history files and two different contact files. I manually "merged" my text files earlier

unkel wrote: »
    Manually. Very straight forward, they are all just simple text files

@Sam - he means he has two different history files and two different contact files. I manually "merged" my text files earlier

Ah now I'm with you.

@BostonB as unkel says they're just simple text files so for the history you can copy and paste one history.txt file into the other, although you'll have to handle the date order yourself if you want them in the right order.

for the contacts there's an import option. You can copy the file called book.txt from one computer to the other and then on the second computer click More->Manage phone book->Import from file

It'll ask you what character is used to separate the contacts. Just leave that as it is and click ok. Then the file book.txt from that computer will have all of your contacts

Edit: to get these files on your computer click start->Programs->Cabbage->Cabbage logs or if you're using the version without an installer they'll be in a folder called cabbagedata sitting next to the main cabbage exe file

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I was thinking of a more automated method.

My point was that if each contact, was a separated timestamped file. (ditto every line in the history) a bit like saving Outlook emails as .eml or .msg files. Then a file sync would keep the data synched between devices. Avoiding needing to edit the files or import them.

Alternatively you could put a import/sync on open option in Cabbage, so that it did the import everytime you opened it. Or simply have a preconfigured sync which you can just click on.

I was thinking of a more automated method.

My point was that if each contact, was a separated timestamped file. (ditto every line in the history) a bit like saving Outlook emails as .eml or .msg files. Then a file sync would keep the data synched between devices. Avoiding needing to edit the files or import them.

Alternatively you could put a import/sync on open option in Cabbage, so that it did the import everytime you opened it. Or simply have a preconfigured sync which you can just click on.
    Yeah it doesn't do that :p

There's no sync functionality in the program at all. Drop box or something like it will let you do it and a once off import of contacts will mean that you have a single contacts file from then on but there's no automated option for the history I'm afraid

• Advertisement

I do have a vague plan to do it through google apis to gmail notes but it's kind of far down the list of priorities

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Hi, are you using the program from behind a firewall or proxy, maybe at work?

I'd say it's a firewall problem , am accessing from work

sassyj wrote: »
    I'd say it's a firewall problem , am accessing from work

I'll look into fixing that. In the meantime you can do it manually if you want as follows:

Download this: http://cabbagetexter.com/downloadtesseract

Unzip the file so you can see the folder called Tesseract-ocr

Click Start->Programs->Cabbage->Cabbage logs

Copy the Tesseract-ocr folder into the Cabbage folder that opens

In the Cabbage folder open the file vars.txt and add a line like this one:
    tesseractlocation=C:\Users\<YOUR_USER_NAME>\AppData\Roaming\Cabbage\Tesseract-OCR\tesseract.exe

You'll know it worked if the next time you send a message it doesn't offer to download tesseract again

• Registered Users Posts: 44 smythc

Please, Can you please help the Windows Phone developers such as Neil Kennedy whom you know I believe to fix his texting app...its uses the cabbage script.

All WP devices can no longer use cabbage scripts without a fix ?

smythc wrote: »
    Please, Can you please help the Windows Phone developers such as Neil Kennedy whom you know I believe to fix his texting app...its uses the cabbage script.

All WP devices can no longer use cabbage scripts without a fix ?

Neil Kennedy contacted me the other day and I got back to him with some instructions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Downloaded the latest Desktop version for Parents PC and tried to login with O2 but login fails each time but using correct details?

Does cabbage work with 02?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mikebl71

mikebl71 wrote: »
    Could you put the new scripts to your "Source code" page, pls.
    Could you, pls?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭JCB1

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Neil Kennedy contacted me the other day and I got back to him with some instructions

Hey Neil - if you are on boards... Any idea on if you can fix this for Windows Phone app ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

I can log into Cabbage using my mobile number and password, no email required with my o2 login

However for my parents the login is their email address and I put this in along with number and password and it states invalid login. Yet I can login to the o2 webtext no problem. Tried just inputting the email and password no joy and also just the mob no and password again no joy. Cannot change the user login to a tel no on o2 as it requires an email address.

Is there something I am missing?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Just wanted to say that I've hosted the script on my server for those that want to use it or change to it.
    Sending script: http://shanehastings.com/web/send.php
    New login: http://shanehastings.com/web/newlogin.htm
    Login (mobile version): http://shanehastings.com/web/index-mob.htm

- Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭JCB1

Big thank you to Neil Kennedy. His 'Noelle' app is working again for Windows Phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭wolf99

Hi Folks,
    Is it possible to have cabbage minimize to the task bar instead of the sys tray?
    I took a look through the settings but nothing that does this jumped out.

Im not fond of having things min to tray because I use the alt + tab hot key combo to flip through open windows quite a lot and apps in the tray cannot be switched to this way

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I have mine pinned to the desktop and no system or taskbar icon or tab at all, works very well, if I need to send a text, I just hit "show desktop" and it's there ready for me.

http://omg.wthax.org/7cFQvb.jpg

Am on windows 8 so that's not an option unfortunately (which means I am relying on hotkeys and combos more and more!).
    Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

wolf99 wrote: »
    Am on windows 8 so that's not an option unfortunately (which means I am relying on hotkeys and combos more and more!).
    Ta

Downgrade to Win7. Simples.

Win 8 is a dead duck. Obviously just my minor, humble opinion.

• Advertisement

RangeR wrote: »
    Downgrade to Win7. Simples.

Win 8 is a dead duck. Obviously just my minor, humble opinion.

LOL, lots of folks saying that!
    However I moved from XP straight to 8 (skipped vista and 7) and, honestly, Im getting quite used to it. Obv it is more targeted to touch devices than laptops etc (which is why I am usiing hotkeys more and more), which are by their nature less hard-work devices and more casual use; but I can honestly say IMHO that it is a good OS.

That said there are some annoyances, such as not having somethings included on the home version (vs pro) such as policy editor and such; but then there were annoyances with vista and 7, and there are some improvements over previous windows iterations, such as the GUI (i.e. metro) being more a part of the system and thus not impeding it speed wise.

I have to say though it also depends on the laptop it is used on - my lenovo has some very good touchpad drivers that allow a lot of the touch functionality to be used through the touchpad -- I have tried to use other laptops with inferior drivers that were a nightmare...

wolf99 wrote: »
    Ta

In much the same I install Cabbage because its more efficient than using Mobile operators website. I find the task bar more efficient than W8 navigation. So I added it to W8. My cabbage sits on that. always one click away.

If something requires more clicks/gestures and or is less visually informative. Its less efficient. Its simple to install something that's better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

JCB1 wrote: »
    Big thank you to Neil Kennedy. His 'Noelle' app is working again for Windows Phone.

O2 webtexts not working on Noelle. Any1 know a workaround or any other app that works?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I find the task bar more efficient than W8 navigation. So I added it to W8. My cabbage sits on that. always one click away.

Ditto.

I run the non-install version now (as Sam suggested) on all my computers with the history and the accounts sitting in the drop box folder. Keeps all my history / accounts synced between all my computers. Nice!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

lolie wrote: »
    O2 webtexts not working on Noelle. Any1 know a workaround or any other app that works?

Anyone??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

lolie wrote: »
    Anyone??

This is a cabbage thread. Have you tried cabbage?

Could you put the new sending scripts to your "Source code" page, pls.
    Could you, pls?

Looks like Sam is gone again. No replies to PMs and emails either. Does anyone know him in the physical world? Could you knock him with something (not too) hard and tell him that it's not fair to withhold the source code. I just want to fix my WebSMS Cabbage Connector to support Vodafone but I cannot do so without knowing the new interface.

Looks like Sam is gone again. No replies to PMs and emails either. Does anyone know him in the physical world? Could you knock him with something (not too) hard and tell him that it's not fair to withhold the source code. I just want to fix my WebSMS Cabbage Connector to support Vodafone but I cannot do so without knowing the new interface.

You're right, sorry about that. Very busy lately. Here are instructions for the new Vodafone interface: http://cabbagetexter.com/vodafoneinstructions.php

That should hopefully be enough to start you off. Get back to me if you have problems implementing it or if you want to set it up on your own server.

I'll get to the other replies when I get a chance

Those dragons at home I expect.

• Advertisement

... I just want to fix my WebSMS Cabbage Connector to support Vodafone ...
    Ok, uploaded the new version of the Connector to Google Play. Now, if you use Vodafone (or, in fact, any other Irish provider supported by Cabbage, except O2), you can use WebSMS android app as well. Details here: http://mikebl71.github.com/websms-connector-cabbage. Enjoy.

Advertisement