Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 yasisgas

Answer on o2 community forum:
    'Over the coming fortnight O2 will be upgrading the identity management system handling webtext user logins and for this reason we are making customers of ours using apps such as JellySMS, Cabbage or EirText that these apps are unlikely to work once this upgrade takes place. We should clarify for customers that these apps were developed without the approval, endorsement or support of O2 and were never under our ownership or control in any way. Any questions or complaints should be directed to the app developers themselves most of whom provide contact information in the app or online.

Our hugely popular webtext service at our site is not changing and will be accessible and useable with a login and password as always'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

In 10yrs they've yet to make a change that makes it better. I always suspected they did it to put people off using Webtext.

i think this move is that exactly, there wondering how much they are losing through texting through apps like these $$$£££

they've done the math and maybe come up with an idea to curb that....maybe i'm wrong, but thats my gut feeling right now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

yasisgas wrote: »
    i think this move is that exactly, there wondering how much they are losing through texting through apps like these $$$£££

they've done the math and maybe come up with an idea to curb that....maybe i'm wrong, but thats my gut feeling right now

Highly unlikely. The money they are losing on a service like this is nothing compared to the money they are losing across the board. Telephonica have done NOTHING to make O2 services better for the past few years. The will was just not there.

This is, more than likely, just what they said. A technical reason rather than anything untoward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

Cabbage is so handy for being able to type up long texts on a proper keyboard and send them instantly. Absolutely gutted at it not working. o2s awful website takes so long to login to and get to the webtxt page and texting on a phone just takes too long. Really hope the issue gets fixed sooner rather than later.

• Advertisement

I hope so RangeR, I hope so....i need Cabbage back on my samsung asap....missin it big styleee

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Teagwee

I string along 2 accounts (Voda & O2) with the minimum in credit for times like this. The O2 one is in an old phone just for texting. Ergo, if one isn't working, the other is. A bit faffy to keep reminding nearest & dearest not to reply to the old phone if possible, but solves temporary problems. They're both in Cabbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Hi,

Been working on this for the past while. "Cabbage for iOS". I've contacted Sam about it via the feedback form on his site.
    It's an early beta of a web-app for iOS that uses the Cabbage web scripts to send texts.

If you have an iOS device, you can install it by visiting http://cabbageforios.eu.mn/ which should redirect you to the app if you are on an iPhone or iPod, if not click on the iDevice badge.

From there, click on the add-icon.png and choose "Add to Homescreen". And thats it, it's installed.
    I recommend you read the about section first before posting bugs. Should I post this in the iOS forum?

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 exhort

Hello All

Just wondered is there anything that the average user can do to help

Any dev type tasks?
    complaints to O2 (vodafone do international sms)
    Donate money to the cabbage team?

Anything really..id pay good money to get this working again

Thanks

exhort wrote: »
    Hello All

Just wondered is there anything that the average user can do to help

Any dev type tasks?
    complaints to O2 (vodafone do international sms)
    Donate money to the cabbage team?

Anything really..id pay good money to get this working again

Thanks

Only the dev can sort this. There is no point complaining to O2. It will fall on deaf ears. Sam is a busy man. He works on cabbage in his spare time and his spare time is very short for the last while.

Donating money to the cabbage team MIGHT help. However, roughly 1% of people who downloaded the free android version, ended up paying for the paid version. It's what €1? Now that Three allow carrier billing, it's a no brainer. Just do it. Although, I don't believe that this €1 goes to Sam, I could be wrong.

• Advertisement

Hey RangeR

thanks for coming back to me, well if I knew this was going to the right people id donate $30 right now, as i use this for my business.

So is there any other apps in the meantime, I couldn't get jelly SMS to work.

What was that about carrier billing

Im cabbage ultimate BTW i took the red pill :)

green pill even !

How can we give money to sam - hes the man who can - i dont want to donate money unless i know its going to him

yasisgas wrote: »
    How can we give money to sam - hes the man who can - i dont want to donate money unless i know its going to him

Go to his website and click DONATE.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 397 ✭✭welkin

Anybody hear from Sam about the 02 problems?

welkin wrote: »
    Anybody hear from Sam about the 02 problems?

He will post here when he is ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

I've migrated to Jelly SMS in desperation. Its not half as tidy as Cabbage but its working, at least. Better than nothing I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rogercross

I'm not sure if I have the right app, jellysms on google play seems to be years old, is that the correct app?

It also says "This trial application will expire after you send 450 messages."

rogercross wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I have the right app, jellysms on google play seems to be years old, is that the correct app?

It also says "This trial application will expire after you send 450 messages."

The paid for version doesn't appear to be on the Play Store. $2.99
    Edit : Actually, I believe you can In App Purchase the upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rogercross

Ah ok, and can you guys confirm that this app is working at the moment, seems to be a mix of people saying yes and no, the version number for the paid app matches the number for the free one which was last updated in google play back in 2011.

Suppose I was just wondering how such an old app is compatible with the changes o2 made when cabbage isn't?

• Advertisement

Not answering your question Rogercross, but i will keep my eye on the answer here as well. I actually dowloaded the app, but it just doesnt even seem to work for me - i cannot get past the login menu page - which suggest this is also not working like cabbage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

To clarify:
    Jelly SMS for Android will not work for O2 at present. An update will be released at some point with a fix. I cannot give a timeframe as the app development is changing hands, thus the delay. All other versions of Jelly SMS have already been updated to work with the new O2 system.

Sam Vines.... i Know your a busy man, but please come to our rescue here!!

Hey All,

Voxafone works quite well and international SMS are cheap
    going to try mighty text as well
    Donated to cabbage, even if it isnt fixed, ive saved $100's up until now

Cheers

o2 website is soooooooooooo crap - its crashed, you cannot even log into it right now, let alone send text's from any 3rd party apps

post b Archie on the o2 forum....well done Archie:

Archie Silver Contributor
    Silver Contributor
    Web-text Apps [ Edited ]

Hi, Since you have changed the Webtext security and now Cabbage does not work on Android or any other 3rd party texting app - Will you be releasing an app by o2. Please dont reply stating the normal online site still works as the whole point of an app was to make a shortcutt / bypass online page browsings. Not only is it very time consuming to go to the website and log in etc every time you want to send a text but also now deminishes the appeal of o2 to a lot of users. This is an integral part of peoples network choices...... Please reply with a fair and decent answer

Offcourse they replied with a totally 'cac' answer:
    Re: Web-text Apps [ Edited ]
    Options
    ‎04-07-2013 02:25 PM - edited ‎04-07-2013 02:38 PM

Hi
    Can you take a look here http://community.o2online.ie/t5/Welcome-News/Webtext-Apps/m-p/650390
    We have no plans at the moment for an Android O2 App, sorry.

Why would they develop an app? They want to drive traffic to their heap of sh*t website so they can bombard you with their offers. Also I'm sure they'd prefer you to pay them to send a text rather than use a free webtext. I'm no Alan Sugar but I'd say paid texts are a little more lucrative than free ones! :D

I raised this by phone yesterday as well with the business team ...... I said i would consider vodafone which does actually have a very good international text bundle.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 397 ✭✭welkin

I tried to get my unlock code from 02 but I hadn't spent 150 euro :(

I'd be gone otherwise, joke of a network these days.

Advertisement