Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

I'm on a PC, am Vodafone user and Cabbage texter stopped working at some stage today, getting Erro: (-8) Precheck: Invalid response. I'm using version 1.99.1.

The Vodafone website texting service is working so that's not the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

Really wish the networks would stop moving the f***ing goalpost when it comes to third party apps sending webtexts.

I think the vodafone issue on the PC is the same issue that's on phone, just with a different error code I would presume. On phones for my anyway it displays "Failed to get remaining messages. Aborted". I presume this is an issue in getting the count for remaining webtexts which is probably 99% down to vodafone mucking about with their system once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

On Three here and it's stopped working again today "could not connect to network website"

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

Hasn't been working for me either for the past few days - I get the invalid response -5 error message.
    Vodafone network, cabbage desktop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Not working on Three today for me.

'could not connect to network website'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭AxlF

Same for me on Three, with my S3.
    'could not connect to network website'

Hasn't been working for me either for the past few days - I get the invalid response -5 error message.
    Vodafone network, cabbage desktop

Anyone know that the story is with this at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

Textdroid isn't working either so it may be a problem with three rather than the apps.

I've thrown in the towel and taken out a paid SMS service with neonsms.ie. Cabbage was great, worked well there for a year or so, but I got reliant on it and its a big miss when its suddenly not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

The problem isn't with Cabbage or the other programs, per say. The networks keep changing their website. The side affect of that is that it breaks the programs. The developers would need to constantly update their software to work with the website changes. It's an awful lot of work for no money, especially when life gets in the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭nailer8

Is there any other desktop SMS application.
    I use cabbage every day for work and it is a disaster when it stops working.
    I dont mind paying for the software (have donated to Cabbage twice) or the service but it has to send from my normal number so i get the replies.
    Vodafone website is pants and keeps logging you out and asking for the Captcha, Cabbage was fantastic and well worth purchasing if it was a licenced app.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Danny2580

I use it for work too and haven't found a replacement. I have a feeling mobile operators deliberately make their webtext sites crap to dissuade people from using them. O2's is unbelievably bad.

Haven't found a replacement that can handle group texts, would happily donate to cabbage as I have done before.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

We all know the developer of cabbage has the ability to sort these issues but I remember seeing a post about him not having the time to dedicate to it. Unfortunate really as It's such a sweet little Prog & it still works fine for me on the Desktop via Meteor. Maybe he could find someone with the know-how to help him out? or even post here and confirm he's not going to do any more with it.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

The most annoying thing is it's not even cost saving for the operators.
    Most people have 100's if not unlimited SMS messages on their package.
    I use Cabbage because it is fast and i can type a hell of a lot faster on my keyboard than my phone. Plus the Group functionality.
    It doesn't reduce my Vodafone bill 1 cent.

I used the Cabbage text app dozens of times every day for the last few years, I am lost without it. Trying to type messages on my iPhone is so tedious I just don't bother and the service I am able to offer my clients is suffering as a result. I made a donation in the past to the developer and would be happy to do so again if it helped get it back up and running. Failing that, can anyone suggest another service that I can use. Ideally want messages to come from my phone number and not an email address like I see happens with some of my friends services.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Mr Grumpy

RangeR wrote: »
    The problem isn't with Cabbage or the other programs, per say. The networks keep changing their website. The side affect of that is that it breaks the programs. The developers would need to constantly update their software to work with the website changes. It's an awful lot of work for no money, especially when life gets in the way.

Well I paid for the app (I'm sure lots of other people did too). Not going to make the guy rich but still very annoying... Caveat emptor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

It still works for me with O2 on my phone

Mr Grumpy wrote: »
    Well I paid for the app (I'm sure lots of other people did too). Not going to make the guy rich but still very annoying... Caveat emptor.

So did I. I suppose if more people paid it would be worth while for him to continue. I believe the conversion was less than 1%. That's about 99% of Cabbage users not paying.

Anyway, I got my €1 worth in what it saved me over the past year.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

For those on vodafone I've a thread over here telling them I'm not happy that they change their website and webtext services without notice to the customer.

Unhappy that cabbage isn't working with vodafone? Drop a post over in that thread and let them know.

Some of you may not know, SwiftSMS [also by a boardsie] works on all networks, I think. We are always going to have the problem where a given webtexter will fail at some point unless the operators either stop changing their websites [not going to happen] or offer a webtext API.

• Advertisement

I've thrown in the towel and taken out a paid SMS service with neonsms.ie. Cabbage was great, worked well there for a year or so, but I got reliant on it and its a big miss when its suddenly not working.

I've been trialing the NeonSMS service the last few days. Not impressed with how it works. Their customer support were great in helping me get my contacts loaded but the way it works is horrible. There is no desktop version, you have to go via website and site won't remember my password. But worst thing is you can't just type in a contact's name to send them a message, like you can with Cabbage, you have to search for them first and then click on the phone number.
    Once I've used up my free 50 texts I can't see myself paying for this service, Vodafone website is only a small bit more horrible to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

I just tried cabbage there for the laugh and it worked.
    On Three by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Teagwee

Still not working on Vodafone :( I'm using Jelly SMS - it's okay, but I preferred Cabbage. Ah well ...

I've been trialing the NeonSMS service the last few days. Not impressed with how it works. Their customer support were great in helping me get my contacts loaded but the way it works is horrible. There is no desktop version, you have to go via website and site won't remember my password. But worst thing is you can't just type in a contact's name to send them a message, like you can with Cabbage, you have to search for them first and then click on the phone number.
    Once I've used up my free 50 texts I can't see myself paying for this service, Vodafone website is only a small bit more horrible to use.
    Depends what you want it for I suppose. I mainly wanted to use it for sending texts via emails generated in excel
    and it works well for that.
    I agree that the cabbage desktop is great... really wish it was a more reliable and paid program. I'd buy it in an instant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 slireyo

nice apps.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

I used the Cabbage text app dozens of times every day for the last few years, I am lost without it. Trying to type messages on my iPhone is so tedious I just don't bother and the service I am able to offer my clients is suffering as a result. I made a donation in the past to the developer and would be happy to do so again if it helped get it back up and running. Failing that, can anyone suggest another service that I can use. Ideally want messages to come from my phone number and not an email address like I see happens with some of my friends services.

Mightytext app.

Sends sms from your phone via desktop browser

Mightytext app.

Sends sms from your phone via desktop browser

Android only. Wont work for IOS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

Teagwee wrote: »
    Still not working on Vodafone :( I'm using Jelly SMS - it's okay, but I preferred Cabbage. Ah well ...

Is there any way (a pro version for example) to upgrade and remove the ad banner at the bottom of sent messages in jellysms. Other than that it seems very similar in function to cabbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Teagwee

cargo wrote: »
    Is there any way (a pro version for example) to upgrade and remove the ad banner at the bottom of sent messages in jellysms. Other than that it seems very similar in function to cabbage.

Go to Tools > Preferences > Signature and untick Enable Signature :)

• Advertisement

Its a while since i used Jelly so it might be an old version i had but on that the ad banner is just a setting.
    You can remove it in 2 min.

Advertisement