Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Lucuma wrote: »
    Did you mean while you are outside Ireland Jayop??

No, to send messages to UK mobiles from within Ireland.

Vodafone put a thing in place recently that when you send a webtext to an international number they text you an authorisation code that you have to then enter in a wee box on the website before the text will go though. On cabbage there is no box.

On cabbage, you type the message, send it, do the captha and then you get the text back from vodafone but there's no place to put it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Jayop wrote: »
    No, to send messages to UK mobiles from within Ireland.

Vodafone put a thing in place recently that when you send a webtext to an international number they text you an authorisation code that you have to then enter in a wee box on the website before the text will go though. On cabbage there is no box.

On cabbage, you type the message, send it, do the captha and then you get the text back from vodafone but there's no place to put it.

Vodafone the hoors.
    At least international texting still works fon cabbage if u are with 02 as long as you are inside Ireland.
    Outside Ireland Cabbage (or its competitors) doesn't work at all anymore though :(

Vodafone the hoors.
    At least that still works from 02 as long as you are inside Ireland.
    Outside Ireland Cabbage (or its competitors) doesn't work at all anymore though :(

Wonder how they manage that? I'm no IT guru but I thought the Cabbage App was only a conduit to the main web text site and that any IP or location discovery would have to be done from where the Cabbage servers are held.

The phone companies must hate this app! If they wanted they could do something like it themselves but it would cost them credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

Wonder how they manage that? I'm no IT guru but I thought the Cabbage App was only a conduit to the main web text site and that any IP or location discovery would have to be done from where the Cabbage servers are held.

The phone companies must hate this app! If they wanted they could do something like it themselves but it would cost them credit.

Vodafone have an app of their own. It absolutely pales in comparison compared to cabbage.

Vodafone have an app of their own. It absolutely pales in comparison compared to cabbage.

I didn't know that Stevie. I'll have a look, but it'll be hard to compete with cabbage.

Do you guys use the captcha app? I gave up on it a while back there and just enter it manually.

• Advertisement

The phone companies must hate this/

Yeah somehow the fact you are connecting to cabbage from a non-irish IP address is detectable by 02.ie (and vodafone.ie afaik) and that code that they send you is req'd. Cabbage & its competitors can't process that code thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

Anything for vodafone windows phone - noelle is not available anymore in the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

The only other webtext app I know of on Windows Phone is Webtextr.
    You could try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

This one didn't work for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Cabbage not saving sent messages to default app, any ideas? I've ticked the option in the settings

• Advertisement

Cabbage not saving sent messages to default app, any ideas? I've ticked the option in the settings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

KERSPLAT! wrote: »

Android 4.4/KitKat disabled the ability to directly write to the SMS store on a device unless the app is registered as the default SMS app.
    This means Cabbage Free cannot save your sent messages anymore.

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    Android 4.4/KitKat disabled the ability to directly write to the SMS store on a device unless the app is registered as the default SMS app.
    This means Cabbage Free cannot save your sent messages anymore.

Ah feck, very annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭dubecho

Android app and Desktop exe both seem to be down on O2, or is it just me?

Edit: Android app working again but desktop not, giving error 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

The elastic band has snapped in O2. Currently no-one can log in. They're working on it...

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Ah feck, very annoying

That's a pure balls in fairness. One of the best things about cabbage over using the webmail on vodafone's site was saving outgoing messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Moved to Switzerland 2 days ago, Cabbage worked fine, now getting could not connect to network site error, any ideas?

Cabbage doesn't work outside Ireland anymore for vodafone or 02

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Vodafone wouldn't work today... error -5

Cabbage doesn't work outside Ireland anymore for vodafone or 02

Sorry for the late reply. I was away, but was able to use orBot (free from Play store) with an exit node set to {IE} and strict exit node checked, in settings.
    This was on O2 and it worked. May work for others, but not sure about activation of accounts etc. I think someone tried previously and it failed, but worth a try.
    If there are a few exit nodes open in Ireland, if one fails, disconnect Tor and try again.
    There may well be other VPN apps, that one could try use, but not all allow for setting an exit node country to Ireland.
    Hola have an Android app, but I have never tried it on a phone, but the PC browser version allows for setting Ireland.

Sorry I can't post links, but both apps are easy found. "Orbot: Proxy with Tor" "Hola Free VPN"

Have a good weekend all :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Big Game

Not working on 3 today, anyone else having problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Big Game wrote: »
    Not working on 3 today, anyone else having problems?

Working fine for me on 3 today.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Big Game

SickBoy wrote: »
    Working fine for me on 3 today.

Weird. Swift SMS is working grand for me, haven't got one though on Cabbage, getting a "Could not connect to network website" error.

dubecho wrote: »
    Sorry for the late reply. I was away, but was able to use orBot (free from Play store) with an exit node set to {IE} and strict exit node checked, in settings.
    This was on O2 and it worked. May work for others, but not sure about activation of accounts etc. I think someone tried previously and it failed, but worth a try.
    If there are a few exit nodes open in Ireland, if one fails, disconnect Tor and try again.
    There may well be other VPN apps, that one could try use, but not all allow for setting an exit node country to Ireland.
    Hola have an Android app, but I have never tried it on a phone, but the PC browser version allows for setting Ireland.

Sorry I can't post links, but both apps are easy found. "Orbot: Proxy with Tor" "Hola Free VPN"

Have a good weekend all :)

Wow thanks so much for taking the time to post this. Ok have installed 'Orbot proxy with Tor' and have checked strict exit node in settings. When you say 'with an exit node set to {IE}' do you mean that in the settings I click on 'Exit nodes' and when a text input box appears called 'Enter Exit nodes' I manually type the text {IE} in and press ok? Or should there be a drop down menu where I select Ireland?

Wow thanks so much for taking the time to post this. Ok have installed 'Orbot proxy with Tor' and have checked strict exit node in settings. When you say 'with an exit node set to {IE}' do you mean that in the settings I click on 'Exit nodes' and when a text input box appears called 'Enter Exit nodes' I manually type the text {IE} in and press ok? Or should there be a drop down menu where I select Ireland?

Manually type the text {IE}

I should have said in original post tht orbot requires rooted device and Halo will work on both rooted and unrooted devices.

Best of luck.

I should have said in original post tht orbot requires rooted device and Halo will work on both rooted and unrooted devices.

Best of luck.

What is a rooted device?

What is a rooted device?

The phone has to be rooted, basically means you have full access to all system files.
    Would take to long to explain how, but XDA forums is best place to find the specific method for your device.

My friend told me today that Eirtext, an Iphone app, is working for her when her phone is outside Ireland, sickened!! The developers of Eirtext have obviously figured out a way to overcome the authorisation code that the websites like 02 send out....

Best of luck.

Ok just downloaded Halo, it asked me what apps I wanted to open on the phone, so I selected Cabbage. So it opened Cabbage through Halo, and it asked me what country I wanted to open Cabbage in so I selected Ireland from a drop down menu - and it worked!!! I love you !!!!! You've just saved me a fortune!! :D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Ok just downloaded Halo, it asked me what apps I wanted to open on the phone, so I selected Cabbage. So it opened Cabbage through Halo, and it asked me what country I wanted to open Cabbage in so I selected Ireland from a drop down menu - and it worked!!! I love you !!!!! You've just saved me a fortune!! :D:D:D:D

LOL... You are most welcome :)

Advertisement