Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭bugfreebob

Quackster wrote: »
    With Meteor, five months after your last top-up, you can no longer call/text/use data and six months after your last top-up you can no longer receive calls or texts either.

Three is better in this regard - all you need is to make one chargeable use every six months to keep a PAYG SIM active. No need to top-up as long as you're still in credit.

The policy you refer to was implemented on old O2 prepay. If you still have a Three account running on the old O2 network you can probably still avail of these terms. However, all new SIMs are issued on Three's own network - to the best of my knowledge they do not operate this policy. However, I haven't tried it myself - if you can cite a reference to this in their T&Cs, I will stand to be corrected. Furthermore, you would want to be crazy to depend on the Three network for a business service in Three's current state of meltdown since the merger. Three reps on the talk-to-three forum admit that it is going to take at least 2 years to build out the Three network at the old O2 base-station sites. In the meantime, their service is going to remain flaky. Many users are also reporting a lot of problems with Webtext on Talk-to-Three.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

bugfreebob wrote: »
    The policy you refer to was implemented on old O2 prepay. If you still have a Three account running on the old O2 network you can probably still avail of these terms. However, all new SIMs are issued on Three's own network - to the best of my knowledge they do not operate this policy. However, I haven't tried it myself - if you can cite a reference to this in their T&Cs, I will stand to be corrected. Furthermore, you would want to be crazy to depend on the Three network for a business service in Three's current state of meltdown since the merger. Three reps on the talk-to-three forum admit that it is going to take at least 2 years to build out the Three network at the old O2 base-station sites. In the meantime, their service is going to remain flaky. Many users are also reporting a lot of problems with Webtext on Talk-to-Three.

If you have a Three PAYG SIM and you log in to My3, at the bottom of the 'My account balance' page you will find the following text:

If you make at least one chargeable call every six months, you will keep your top-up credit active and prevent it from expiring. If you don't do this, your cash credit will expire after six months of non-use.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Quackster wrote: »
    If you have a Three PAYG SIM and you log in to My3, at the bottom of the 'My account balance' page you will find the following text:

If you make at least one chargeable call every six months, you will keep your top-up credit active and prevent it from expiring. If you don't do this, your cash credit will expire after six months of non-use.

Do you know how long without top-up before you lose your existing credit with Meteor?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭TreasureBin

bugfreebob wrote: »
    ... Furthermore, you would want to be crazy to depend on the Three network for a business service in Three's current state of meltdown since the merger. Three reps on the talk-to-three forum admit that it is going to take at least 2 years to build out the Three network at the old O2 base-station sites. In the meantime, their service is going to remain flaky. Many users are also reporting a lot of problems with Webtext on Talk-to-Three.

That's why I left Three! Was very happily with O2 since 2006 and within a few weeks of the takeover I'd been cut off, reconnected, cut off again and royally messed about by the appalling "customer care" (hah!) to the extent I took the hump and switched phone providers. I also want to cancel their mobile broadband, once I decide which phone I'm sticking with so I can tether, and there's also the money card to to say goodbye to!

Well what I swas getting at really but I didnt explain it very well is, dont buy a new vodafone sim, using your existing an post mobile sim go to the vodafone website and put in your phone number of your postfone sim mobile number and see if you can register for webtext that way? - might be worth a try?

Just tried that and didn't work.
    Thanks for the suggestion, though!
    :)

• Advertisement

Do you know how long without top-up before you lose your existing credit with Meteor?

240 days.

I asked in a Meteor shop this morning and was told 6 months.

I asked in a Meteor shop this morning and was told 6 months.

You're cut off and can't receive calls/texts after six months but your credit remains intact should you top up within 240 days. You loose your credit after 240 days but your SIM remains active. Your SIM is deactivated and account deleted after 13 months.

BTW, it's the same with Vodafone. You loose your credit after 240 days. However you're able to call/text for 180 days and receive calls/texts for 240 days too (roughly one & two months longer than with Meteor).

Having asked in Carphone Warehouse, it seems like Vodafone is the best option for me so that's who I've decide to go with. Thanks for all the input, everyone.

:( Poke! :(

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

:( Poke! :(

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭samdeluxjones

Anyone having cabbage issues with vodafone?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

Anyone having cabbage issues with vodafone?

I haven't been able to use Cabbage with Vodafone for a few years now. Is your problem a recent one? I use Jelly SMS which works but you have to insert the Captcha every time

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭samdeluxjones

Yes, been using cabbage with vodafone up to a week or so ago.

Was with captcha which only had to be entered the odd few times.

Heard the developer is busy at other stuff and not supporting it much any more which is a pity because it was a cracking little app.

I have all the others which are working but none as user friendly as cabbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Adrian4

I have all the others which are working but none as user friendly as cabbage.

I have to agree - none of the other webtext apps beat Cabbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

Was working well until eircom changed to eir.... any workarounds anyone?

Poke!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭Worztron

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    Poke!

Don't you mean 'bump'. ;)

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

I think cabbage has breathed its last breath? This thread should probably be closed!
    I think it was only working on 02 and once that moved to Three it stopped, unless it's still working for anyone?

Worztron wrote: »
    Don't you mean 'bump'. ;)

Nope ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

I think cabbage has breathed its last breath? This thread should probably be closed!
    I think it was only working on 02 and once that moved to Three it stopped, unless it's still working for anyone?

It's still working okay for me on 3

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Bummer. I preferred SwiftSMS until I got Android Lollipop which won't allow writing to the sent box, so no record of a sent text. Pity Cabbage is gone - at least there was a record of outgoing texts with that.

Nope ;)

POKE! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

This thread should probably be closed.

Definitely not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

bluesfan wrote: »
    It's still working okay for me on 3

Original 3 must be the last bastion of Cabbage so, it no longer works on 02 legacy customers, Vodafone (or Meteor AFAIK)

POKE! ;)

I have started some work on a desktop version .. but it's still very early days.

I hope to get it pushed to Github soon and then anyone brave enough can start messing with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

I have started some work on a desktop version.

Our hero!

I have started some work on a desktop version .. but it's still very early days.

I hope to get it pushed to Github soon and then anyone brave enough can start messing with it.

My faith never stopped but did start to dwindle a little Fluffy. all the "Pokes" paid off :P

Fair play to ya, look forward to it. :)

You can find the Git repository here https://github.com/SwiftSMS/Desktop
    If your not comfortable with Java development then it's not likely going to interest you just yet, but I welcome contributions big or small from the community :)

• Advertisement

I've had some requests for early access to the desktop app, so I've setup some automated builds that will release new versions of the application as changes are pushed to Github. I must stress this is still in very early development. There is no proper support available, no simple updates etc... but feedback is support if appreciated. You can make comments or requests via Github, https://github.com/SwiftSMS/Desktop/issues.

How to download
    You can now download all versions of the desktop app from https://oss.sonatype.org/content/groups/public/org/swiftsms/desktop/.
    Just select the version you want and choose a download. For an end user wanting to run the app you'll want to download either the .tar.gz or .zip version, it doesn't matter which, they are just compressed archives, both contain the same data.
    An example of a download URL is, https://oss.sonatype.org/content/groups/public/org/swiftsms/desktop/0.0.1/desktop-0.0.1-bin.tar.gz

How to install
    Unzip/untar the compressed download into a directory of your choosing.

How to run
    Double click the desktop-x.x.x.jar file.

Advertisement