Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Divinkee wrote: »
    hmm... still no luck at sending, even from what u suggested.

still cant connect to network site.

does the fact im meteor bill phone have anything to do with it u think?

dont have opera and not sure what aft is! but ill have a browse tmro.

just a quick post b4 heading to bed. thanks for help so far!

:)

no being on bill phone shouldn't make any difference.

to try out opera, go to mini.opera.com on your phone or download it to your pc first if you don't want to pay to download it

aft does pretty much the thing as cabbage mobile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

If you're sending to +353851234567 then try and send to 0851234567 instead. See if that helps?

Worth trying anyway.

do you have any non-alphanumeric characters in your password, ie something like !"£$%%^*()

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Divinkee is my friend, his password is is only alpha-numeric so probably wouldn't be anything to do with that. I was trying it on his phone but couldn't get it to work either. When you would pick the WAP option, it would be "sending message" for ages but wouldn't complete the send. I wasn't sure if it was costing him for it to be "sending message" so I didn't want to try too many times. I assumed it would be something to do with his WAP settings but he said that when he rang meteor they said his phone should be WAP enabled already:confused:

cormie wrote: »
    Divinkee is my friend, his password is is only alpha-numeric so probably wouldn't be anything to do with that. I was trying it on his phone but couldn't get it to work either. When you would pick the WAP option, it would be "sending message" for ages but wouldn't complete the send. I wasn't sure if it was costing him for it to be "sending message" so I didn't want to try too many times. I assumed it would be something to do with his WAP settings but he said that when he rang meteor they said his phone should be WAP enabled already:confused:

when it stops trying, does a message pop up for a second that says "failed to connect" before the screen saying failed to connect to network site appears?

that's the difference between not managing to connect to the internet and connecting to the server but failing to send a message

and you should log into his meteor online account and go to view calls to see if it cost him anything. it should show up as GPRSWAP

• Advertisement

Cool thanks, sure he can try that tomorrow when he's awake and report back here ;)

a few people have reported problem on different threads and i posted the solutions there so i thought i'd link to them here so people can use the solutions.

the first problem was getting cabbage mobile to work on a nokia 6300. this problem happens with a number of nokias. if it's an N73 or E65 type phone you won't have this problem. generally if your model number doesn't have a letter you might need this solution:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055279952

then two other problems were reported by different people. the first was it kept giving a -6 error when "use server" is ticked and -2 when it's not. basically the solution was to stop internet explorer working offline

the second was that it kept telling him that the meteor site was asking him to enter the text that showed up in a picture before he could log in, even though he could log in fine. the problem was to do with a cached page and clearing the cache and manually calling the script solved the problem:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055278288

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

this program is brilliant. thanks!

glad you like it :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

ah, just discovered it doesn't work with vista :(. I get run time error '75', path/file access error.

• Advertisement

andrew wrote: »
    ah, just discovered it doesn't work with vista :(. I get run time error '75', path/file access error.

i think i've found a solution to that problem. give me about 20 minutes and i'll upload a version that'll hopefully fix the problem. do you get it as soon as you open the program
    ?

right so, uninstall the program, then go into c:\program files and delete the folder called cabbage, then download the new version i just uploaded and let me know if you still get the error. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Divinkee

Hi guys sorry for the late reply. I forgot yesterday and so far today. Not used to posting on forums :o

I got it to work anyway. It wasnt a cabbage problem - only i hadnt downloaded the internet settings! :rolleyes: lol

Thanks for the help tho guys. Really appreciate it :)

Divinkee wrote: »
    Hi guys sorry for the late reply. I forgot yesterday and so far today. Not used to posting on forums :o

I got it to work anyway. It wasnt a cabbage problem - only i hadnt downloaded the internet settings! :rolleyes: lol

Thanks for the help tho guys. Really appreciate it :)

good to hear it :)

i assume you transferred it to your phone from your pc? or how did you get it on the phone without the internet set up

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭handyman

Hi Sam,

Can you only txt to irish mobile? Can you txt to USA?

if you're on o2 you can send to america or you can sign up to voip cheap but that's not free, it costs something like 3c a text. i never looked into the exact price. you can sign up at www.voipcheap.com.

and i'm about to add support for smsdiscount which is a similar service:
    www.smsdiscount.com

or, and this is a bit of hassle but free, if you're not on o2 you can get an o2 sim card and text from that number and get the person to text back to your number. as i said a bit of hassle

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    and i'm about to add support for smsdiscount which is a similar service:
    www.smsdiscount.com

Cool, when do you think you'll have that sorted? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭handyman

i assume you transferred it to your phone from your pc? or how did you get it on the phone without the internet set up

Hi sam

Can you txt other countries? I've tried to txt USA 001 etc. thenI tried just putting +1.... but i get an error message (-5).

Also how do I get it on my phone..... It's an apple Iphone .... don't tell me, it wont work on this phone!

i think i've found a solution to that problem. give me about 20 minutes and i'll upload a version that'll hopefully fix the problem. do you get it as soon as you open the program
    ?
    right so, uninstall the program, then go into c:\program files and delete the folder called cabbage, then download the new version i just uploaded and let me know if you still get the error. thanks

I uninstalled cabbage completely (using revo uninstaller to get rid of everything) and reinstalled 1.76. Works perfectly now. Nice one!

handyman wrote: »
    Hi sam

Can you txt other countries? I've tried to txt USA 001 etc. thenI tried just putting +1.... but i get an error message (-5).

Also how do I get it on my phone..... It's an apple Iphone .... don't tell me, it wont work on this phone!

what network are you on?

i'm afraid it won't work on your phone but there are alternatives. let me know what network you're on and i'll tell you the best thing to do

• Advertisement

Cool, when do you think you'll have that sorted? :)

probably by tomorrow. i've got it working right now but i've to work out a few unrelated bugs. there are bugs in my cabbage :D

i think smsdiscount and voipcheap are the same company. their websites are almost identical and the way of sending texts is to. it took less than 5 minutes to add support for it

andrew wrote: »
    I uninstalled cabbage completely (using revo uninstaller to get rid of everything) and reinstalled 1.76. Works perfectly now. Nice one!

let me know if you get that error again. i'm not totally sure that what i did fixed the problem

i've uploaded the new version with smsdiscount included. the differences are:

i added the option requested by cormie not to have the phone book searched every time you type a letter, you press enter instead

smsdiscount of course

i've hopefully fixed that runtime error on vista

i moved the form around a bit so the more button wouldn't be partially covered on vista

o2 lets people keep sending messages after they've used their 250 but charges them. a warning pops up now when they have one message left and the success message says "charged message sent". basically i put it in so no one can run up a huge bill and sue me :D

and i think it's time people finally knew about this since it's been in the program since january. click more->manage phone book->add new

and in the phone number text box (not the name one, the lower one), type: show me the pic please

NSFW - (NOT SAFE FOR WORK for those who don't know what NSFW means)

Cool stuff will download soon, when you "update" your programs, do you always update them both? PC and mobile? Are they both sms discount friendly now? :) Thanks for adding the non searching thing too, cool stuff!

Cool stuff will download soon, when you "update" your programs, do you always update them both? PC and mobile? Are they both sms discount friendly now? :) Thanks for adding the non searching thing too, cool stuff!

No the mobile client doesn't support SMS discount. But I'll add support for that and voip cheap some time over the next few weeks

Cool, so I take it to upgrade on the PC, you just need to click the new file and it'll do the rest, i.e. I don't need to delete anything first?

Cool, so I take it to upgrade on the PC, you just need to click the new file and it'll do the rest, i.e. I don't need to delete anything first?

no you don't need to delete anything. any time i ask someone to delete stuff it's because they're getting an error of some kind

Just upgraded, I'm afraid it still searches every time you put in a digit in the number box so it takes ages before the full number is written out and you can start to write the text, I also wanted to see what your little thing was so I went to manage the phone book but I got an error:

Run-Time error 330

Component comdlg32.ocx or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid

:(

Just upgraded, I'm afraid it still searches every time you put in a digit in the number box so it takes ages before the full number is written out and you can start to write the text

it's an option. press more and at the bottom you'll see two new options, find as you type and press enter to find.

edit:make sure it's version 1.77 you have. sometimes my browser caches pages and the download page you see is the one from the cache and not the current one. if you go to the download page and its still saying version 1.76, press CTRL+F5 to force it to get the new one

, I also wanted to see what your little thing was so I went to manage the phone book but I got an error:

Run-Time error 330

Component comdlg32.ocx or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid

:(
    edit3: take a look at my next post before trying the below
    try this:

download the ocx file from here:
    http://www.ascentive.com/support/new/images/lib/COMDLG32.OCX

put it in the folder c:\windows\system32. if there's already a file with that name in the folder leave it there.

then press start->run and type:

regsvr32 COMDLG32.OCX

and press ok

but when you try again it might just tell you about another missing file

edit2: i know why you're getting that error. you get it when you press manage phone book right? it's because i changed the dialog box for importing contacts to the proper windows one. i think i'll change it back tbh because you won't be the only one with that problem and the old one was fine

• Advertisement

i just looked up how to get the installer to register it for you. if you don't want to do al the above, download the installer now (i didn't update the version number) and try installing it again. make sure you're not getting a cached version.

the last modified date of the file should be 25/04/08 19:27. yes i'm in the future :)

actually it might show up as 18:27 because i'm in a different time zone

Advertisement