Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Cool, it's working perfect now :) Nice pic too ;)

The press enter to find is cool too, thanks again!

By the way, the modified time and date was the same as the other 2, which were all the time I downloaded it at.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

cormie wrote: »
    Cool, it's working perfect now :)

great. did you download and register the ocx or did you just use the new installer
    Nice pic too ;)
    yes it is :cool:

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    great. did you download and register the ocx or did you just use the new installer

yes it is :cool:

Just used the new installer, lucky I saw the edit before having to do all that complicated stuff :P

Is there any way to have the cabbage mobile program just use the phones phonebook? So say on the page where you input the number, it knows the numbers by name and searches your phones contacts by default instead of cabbage contacts? Or is there any way to get the cabbage program to recognise the whole phonebook so you don't have to add each new contact to cabbage individually?

Just used the new installer, lucky I saw the edit before having to do all that complicated stuff :P

Is there any way to have the cabbage mobile program just use the phones phonebook? So say on the page where you input the number, it knows the numbers by name and searches your phones contacts by default instead of cabbage contacts? Or is there any way to get the cabbage program to recognise the whole phonebook so you don't have to add each new contact to cabbage individually?

it can use the phone book on some phones. what phone do you have?

if your phone is capable of it, when you click into the "to" text box you should be able to press options or more or whatever depending on your phone and see an option to use your phone book. on a sony ericsson it says look up.

but you have to manually request it for the program to access the phone book. if you use a number from your phone book, when it shows up in your recent numbers it the name won't be recognised.

so you can access the phone book but to get the names to show up in the recent dialled you need to add it to the cabbage contacts.

to be able to acces the phone book automatically i'd have to sign the app and that costs lots of money

Oh yeah you mentioned the signing the app before, is that just a safety precaution or is it a money making thing?

I have the K800i, I knew about the look up option, but it's just the way you have to click back every time you send it and stuff if you don't want to add the contact to the cabbage contacts, was just hoping there was a way to go to cabbage, write message, click ok, choose recent contacts with names from phonebook or put in number, click ok and it sends then not have to click back, or for it to auto-minimise once it's sent and just appear on the write text screen next time it's opened. Jeez I'm picky aren't I? Gotta snap outta it :p

• Advertisement

Oh yeah you mentioned the signing the app before, is that just a safety precaution or is it a money making thing?

I have the K800i, I knew about the look up option, but it's just the way you have to click back every time you send it and stuff if you don't want to add the contact to the cabbage contacts, was just hoping there was a way to go to cabbage, write message, click ok, choose recent contacts with names from phonebook or put in number, click ok and it sends then not have to click back, or for it to auto-minimise once it's sent and just appear on the write text screen next time it's opened. Jeez I'm picky aren't I? Gotta snap outta it :p

ah i see what you mean now. that page isn't just for adding a contact. in fact that was only added as an after thought. the point of that page is to let you know if the text sent properly or not.

Yeah, don't mind me :p

Good luck with getting the mobile version smsdiscount compatible :)

doesn't seem to work with vodafone anymore - they were "updating" their site yesterday evening (Sat) - but webtext is back now but cabbage isn't working - maybe they "changed" something....

you're absolutely right, the bastards. i'll start working on a new script asap

right it's working again. go into more-manage servers, select the server:
    http://cabaal.org/cabbage/send.php

and then tick use server. i'll fix the client side script over the next few days

• Advertisement

for the people using the script, the updated one is here:

http://cabaal.org/cabbage/server_side_source.zip

just replace the file net.class.php. everything else is the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Sam Vimes has no social life, no girlfriend and no job.

Do those of us on o2 need to do anything?

random wrote: »
    Sam Vimes has no social life, no girlfriend and no job.
    it might be true but you didn't have to say it :(
    Do those of us on o2 need to do anything?

nope. it was just that vodafone moved their site around a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭okgirl

Hi there, well the programme is excellent and I use it quiet a bit however, I am getting an error -6 message at the moment and it is not sending text for me. Sometimes the error message appears but the message is sent and I have no way of knowing the message has gone.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

okgirl wrote: »
    Hi there, well the programme is excellent and I use it quiet a bit however, I am getting an error -6 message at the moment and it is not sending text for me. Sometimes the error message appears but the message is sent and I have no way of knowing the message has gone.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

what network are you on?

i've been having some problems with meteor today because the site is running slow

if you're on vodafone, click more->manage servers and make sure use server is ticked and the following server is selected:

I am on Meteor. today the messages are being sent but "(-5) error. restarting the program may fix the problem." message is appearing. There is no notification tha tthe message has been sent.

I am on Meteor. today the messages are being sent but "(-5) error. restarting the program may fix the problem." message is appearing. There is no notification tha tthe message has been sent.

that's odd. it's working fine for me here.

go into more->manage servers and tell me if use server is ticked and which server is selected please

Use server is ticked. Its hhtp//cabaal.org/cabbage/send.php

does it actually say hhtp// or is it http://

does it always give -5 or does it sometimes work?

what happens if you go into more-manage server and untick use server? can you send messages then?

can you send messages if you log into the site as normal

okgirl, same questions :)

welcome aboard jungdreamer. Only glad to help. This is wrecking my head a bit now!

Sam Vimes, I just sent another message and it's working fine now. But what should I do if it happens agian as i think it might? Use server is ticked. I am on the cabaal one. Is this correct?

right, it looks like you were having the same problem i was yesterday. it kept giving me -5 errors and sending messages multiple times but saying it failed.

the problem was the meteor site. sometimes it just runs slow and there's nothing cabbage can do about it.

what you could do is sign up to either www.voipcheap.com or www.smsdiscount.com. they both allow you to send texts and cabbage supports them but then your texts won't always be free. they're pricing structure is very odd but as i understand it sometimes your messages are free and sometimes they're 3c

the benefit would be that you can switch to it when the meteor site goes down and you'd be able to send messages worldwide

• Advertisement

does it always give -5 or does it sometimes work?

what happens if you go into more-manage server and untick use server? can you send messages then?

can you send messages if you log into the site as normal

Sam, it is not always -5 error last one was -6 error. I think this may a message use count???

I have gone into manage server and unticked use server. It is also working fine.

I am also able to send via web site.

I think the next time I have trouble with it I may try ticking use server again and see if it is the problem. As for now all is working.

Thank you for your help.

Sam, it is not always -5 error last one was -6 error. I think this may a message use count???

no, any negative number is an error code.
    -2 generally means it connected to the internet but couldn't connect to the network site

-6 means it couldn't connect to the internet at all

-5 means it connected to the site but failed somewhere between logging in and sending the message. this is usually the one you get when the site is running slow. you'd get -2 if it was down altogether
    I have gone into manage server and unticked use server. It is also working fine.

I am also able to send via web site.

I think the next time I have trouble with it I may try ticking use server again and see if it is the problem. As for now all is working.

Thank you for your help.
    good to hear it's working :)

you should generally leave use server ticked because it's usually faster than if it's not but any time it stops working, a good first step is to untick it. the two sending methods are completely separate and the different errors you get can help you understand better why it's not working, or sometimes it'll work one way and not the other

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Old Jim

Just to say thanks for these great programs.
    Have been using the desktop version for a while now and find it great.
    Have recently installed the mobile version on my K800i and it too works great.
    Was in europe for a few days and a bunch of texts only cost me ~10c in total. Many thanks.

BTW, is there a way to get the mobile version to see the phone's phonebook when sending sms?

Old Jim wrote: »
    BTW, is there a way to get the mobile version to see the phone's phonebook when sending sms?

yes there is. if you click in the "To" text box and then press more you'll see an option "look up" and you can select a number from your phone book.

but that's the only way it can be done, ie you have to manually access the phone book. when you send the message and the number is stored in the recent numbers, cabbage can't automatically access the phone book to see what the associated name is.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

biko wrote: »
    Looks good mate! Trying it out now.
    Have been using it a month now and must say it meets all my expectations and more. Well done!

biko wrote: »
    Have been using it a month now and must say it meets all my expectations and more. Well done!

glad you like it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Old Jim

yes there is. if you click in the "To" text box and then press more you'll see an option "look up" and you can select a number from your phone book.

That works, nice one. That was my only gripe. Before I had to go into the phonebook and write the number I wanted down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 manyoo99

i'm on vodafone and every time i try to send a text i keep getting this: "Error: (-2) Could not connect to network site". Can someone help me out?

manyoo99 wrote: »
    i'm on vodafone and every time i try to send a text i keep getting this: "Error: (-2) Could not connect to network site". Can someone help me out?

yes. go into more-manage servers and tick use server. make sure this server is selected:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

yes. go into more-manage servers and tick use server. make sure this server is selected:

Getting the same problem here on vodafone, nothing has changed, i'm using the latest version, and i've confirmed i can login via the actual vodafone page

Advertisement