Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Dr4gul4 wrote: »
    Getting the same problem here on vodafone, nothing has changed, i'm using the latest version, and i've confirmed i can login via the actual vodafone page

try this:

take the link below and replace the values in capitals with your details:

http://cabaal.org/cabbage/send.php?u=YOURNUMBER&p=YOURPASSWORD&d=YOURNUMBER&s=v&m=hello

so it would be something like:
    http://cabaal.org/cabbage/send.php?u=0871234567&p=password&d=0871234567&s=v&m=hello

put the address into internet explorer and go to it. a message should appear on your phone saying hello and a number should appear on the screen

let me know what happens when you try that

when you click more->manage servers, is "use server" ticked and which server is selected?

i'm maknig a new version at the moment to fix the problem with the client side script that i'll be uploading shortly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    try this:

take the link below and replace the values in capitals with your details:

http://cabaal.org/cabbage/send.php?u=YOURNUMBER&p=YOURPASSWORD&d=YOURNUMBER&s=v&m=hello

so it would be something like:
    http://cabaal.org/cabbage/send.php?u=0871234567&p=password&d=0871234567&s=v&m=hello

put the address into internet explorer and go to it. a message should appear on your phone saying hello and a number should appear on the screen

let me know what happens when you try that

when you click more->manage servers, is "use server" ticked and which server is selected?

i'm maknig a new version at the moment to fix the problem with the client side script that i'll be uploading shortly

"use server" wasnt ticked, have done so now, it's no longer resporting error's when i send it via the url, i dont get any txt msg, and the page displays 290

update again, ok seems to be a small delay. not sure how small tho

Dr4gul4 wrote: »
    "use server" wasnt ticked, have done so now, it's no longer resporting error's when i send it via the url, i dont get any txt msg, and the page displays 290

update again, ok seems to be a small delay. not sure how small tho

i've had problems with vodafone over the past few days with messages not delivering for a while. There's nothing i can do about vodafone not delivering them i'm afraid. If you get a number of messages as the return value then it worked and will send as soon as vodafone decides to send it

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

It's not working for me at the moment:confused: error -5 suggests to restart the program, I tried pick your server but it gave a 2 error, then I tried on my phone and it wouldnt connect..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

cormie wrote: »
    It's not working for me at the moment:confused: error -5 suggests to restart the program, I tried pick your server but it gave a 2 error, then I tried on my phone and it wouldnt connect..
    If you're on o2 then the website is down at the moment - see www.o2.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

random wrote: »
    If you're on o2 then the website is down at the moment - see www.o2.ie

Jeez, what's with me, I didn't even try o2.ie :o thanks :)

i see my help is not required here. Carry on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭velocirafter

couple of issues with v1.78. nothing major just said id report them.

- this version seems to run much slower than the last one i had which was 1.64. things like typing a contacts name in the "to:" field

- sometimes i get an -6 error but the message actually sends. a mate of mine says the same thing happens to him aswell ( hes running vista)

FYI i'm running xp64

hopefully you can improve on these in the next update.....no pressure though.

couple of issues with v1.78. nothing major just said id report them.

- this version seems to run much slower than the last one i had which was 1.64. things like typing a contacts name in the "to:" field
    i think i know why that is. i'll see what i can do. in the meantime, if you click more->press enter to find names, then it doesn't search for names as you type. you press enter to search instead so if you have a lot of names it's faster.

also, i don't know if people realise this: you can type names into the "to" box as well as typing numbers.

is anything else running slower?

- sometimes i get an -6 error but the message actually sends. a mate of mine says the same thing happens to him aswell ( hes running vista)
    i don't think there's much i can do about that. i call the http.send() function and if it fails it gives a -6 error. there's no code for me to fix. it's all handled by the vb internet api. usually it happens when the network sites are running slow and not responding properly.

how often does it happen?

also, you'll find that scheduling messages isn't working at the moment. i've got it fixed but haven't released the new one yet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

Hi,
    I'm using 1.73 beta and it won't send any text messages using Vodafone at all....anyone else having issues with Vodafone? I keep getting error 2 "Could not connect to network site"

I want to upgrade to 1.79 but think I have read somewhere that its not just click click click on the installer, I have to backup something first, would it be the phonebooks?

Cheers,
    M

• Advertisement

madmoe wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm using 1.73 beta and it won't send any text messages using Vodafone at all....anyone else having issues with Vodafone? I keep getting error 2 "Could not connect to network site"

I want to upgrade to 1.79 but think I have read somewhere that its not just click click click on the installer, I have to backup something first, would it be the phonebooks?

Cheers,
    M

that problem is fixed in 1.79. It should be as simple as running the installer but i just recommend that people make a backup of the folder c:\program files\cabbage in case i made some stupid error that erases your phone book or logins or whatever

btw, the changes in 1.79 are:

fixed scheduled texts where they would always send within 15 mins no matter what time you selected

changed the way the phone book is read when typing in the "to" box. It used to read the phone book file every time you hit a key but now the phone book is copied into a string first so there should be little or no delay

please report any phone book related bugs you find or any bugs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

please report any phone book related bugs you find or any bugs

Just installed the latest version and the phonebook is acting strangely for me. If I try and select a name from the drop down list, it just reverts to first name on the list. If I try typing a name in the 'to' box, again it reverts to the first name in the phonebook's list.

thanks for that. Nobody download the new one until i fix that problem please

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

Will download the new one once its fixed. Is it working correctly with Vodafone?

madmoe wrote: »
    Will download the new one once its fixed. Is it working correctly with Vodafone?

yes it is. And you can get your current version to work if you click more->manage servers and tick use server. Make sure this server is selected:
    http://cabaal.org/cabbage/send.php

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Argh, too late, the same phonebook bug happens for me, selects first in the list and even if I try to type in a different number, it puts the first one in anyway after a few numbers typed.

Also, I was installing 1.79 but I accidentally left 1.78 running in the taskbar and while it did give me the error it couldn't update, maybe the installer could kill any processes of Cabbage running instead? :)

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Argh, too late, the same phonebook bug happens for me, selects first in the list and even if I try to type in a different number, it puts the first one in anyway after a few numbers typed.
    fixed that bug now. fingers crossed :o
    BopNiblets wrote: »
    Also, I was installing 1.79 but I accidentally left 1.78 running in the taskbar and while it did give me the error it couldn't update, maybe the installer could kill any processes of Cabbage running instead? :)
    that is an idea. must find out how to do that :D

that is an idea. must find out how to do that :D

done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Brianb8802

Just a bit of feedback on the mobile version.

Im using it with the N95 on O2 and i usually leave it running in the background for most of the day. I only just noticed that when i leave it open it sends and receives data intermittently. I checked my log and i had it open for 12 hours one time and there was 213kb received and 96kb sent. I would have sent at most 10 or 12 texts in that time. Just wondering if you are aware of this

• Advertisement

Brianb8802 wrote: »
    Just a bit of feedback on the mobile version.

Im using it with the N95 on O2 and i usually leave it running in the background for most of the day. I only just noticed that when i leave it open it sends and receives data intermittently. I checked my log and i had it open for 12 hours one time and there was 213kb received and 96kb sent. I would have sent at most 10 or 12 texts in that time. Just wondering if you are aware of this

no i'm not aware of this. that's extremely weird. are you are there was nothing else that could have been sending data in the meantime?

maybe it has something to do with the way java connects to the internet or the way symbian phones connect. but it would be an odd way to do it since mobile data usually costs a lot. i'll look into it

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Brianb8802

No I wasnt using any other apps at the time. Had it on for about an hour yesterday and there was 20kb received after sending about 5 texts. If i sent the 5 texts straight away it would be about 3kb

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Stoned Hippy

Love the program (both mobile and desktop) especially when it decides to work through the vodafone live! access point which is rarely but that's not what i'm posting about.

Would it be possible to add lowratevoip to the list of servers you can send from? I don' think it should be too hard as they give out the HTML address for sending texts here (http://www.lowratevoip.com/en/sms_instructions.html) and I think that's how you work it, right?

Lowratevoip could become quite popular here as it's the cheapest VOIP company for Irish people i've found. Calls are 10c a minute to Irish mobiles (per minute, rounding up unfortunately) and apparently free to landlines if you have freedays (you get 30 every time you top up) but I always seem to get charged 1c a minute which i'm not really going to argue about. Texts are 3.6c. Free calls to most landlines worldwide too. I'm not advertising for lowratevoip here either but thought i'd pass on my findings, if anyone has found anywhere cheaper either i'd like to hear it.

Thanks,
    S.h.2001

Brianb8802 wrote: »
    No I wasnt using any other apps at the time. Had it on for about an hour yesterday and there was 20kb received after sending about 5 texts. If i sent the 5 texts straight away it would be about 3kb

right so i'll look into it and see if there's anything i can do to stop it. In the meantime you should close it after sending

did this ever happen with aft or damo's cinema guide app?

Love the program (both mobile and desktop) especially when it decides to work through the vodafone live! access point which is rarely but that's not what i'm posting about.

Would it be possible to add lowratevoip to the list of servers you can send from? I don' think it should be too hard as they give out the HTML address for sending texts here (http://www.lowratevoip.com/en/sms_instructions.html) and I think that's how you work it, right?

Lowratevoip could become quite popular here as it's the cheapest VOIP company for Irish people i've found. Calls are 10c a minute to Irish mobiles (per minute, rounding up unfortunately) and apparently free to landlines if you have freedays (you get 30 every time you top up) but I always seem to get charged 1c a minute which i'm not really going to argue about. Texts are 3.6c. Free calls to most landlines worldwide too. I'm not advertising for lowratevoip here either but thought i'd pass on my findings, if anyone has found anywhere cheaper either i'd like to hear it.

Thanks,
    S.h.2001

adding that won't be a problem. It already supports smsdiscount and voipcheap both of which use identical methods. I think all these companies are owned by the same people or maybe they just all bought the same system

I think all these companies are owned by the same people or maybe they just all bought the same system

Yea, I think they're all owned by a company called Betamax, based out of Hong Kong. Read it somewhere and whenever I top up using paypal that's what it comes through as.

Maybe if they use the same system but just replace the name in the URL you could add an option where you just put in the name of your betamax provider instead of having to do them all seperately? This might be too complicated to explain to users though? Just a thought.

Thanks,
    S.h.2001

Just checked out Betamax on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betamax_(VoIP_company)

Seems like they go under a whole load of different names and they've pissed off more than a few people! Think i'll be keeping as little money in my account as possible!

S.h.2001

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭velocirafter

i don't think there's much i can do about that. i call the http.send() function and if it fails it gives a -6 error. there's no code for me to fix. it's all handled by the vb internet api. usually it happens when the network sites are running slow and not responding properly.

how often does it happen?

it happens fairly regularly, usually a reboot or a logoff gets it working again. The messages nearly always send even though the error comes up. It probably is something to do with the network being slow because it hangs for about a minute before you get the error

it happens fairly regularly, usually a reboot or a logoff gets it working again. The messages nearly always send even though the error comes up. It probably is something to do with the network being slow because it hangs for about a minute before you get the error

having investigated a bit further i don't think there's a lot i can do about it. i get the error myself sometimes and any time i do, if i go to the meteor site it's crawling. basically, the network site isn't returning the right info so the program thinks the text failed. all i can really do about it is change the error message to "(-5) i have no idea if it sent" :D
    Just checked out Betamax on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betamax_(VoIP_company)

Seems like they go under a whole load of different names and they've pissed off more than a few people! Think i'll be keeping as little money in my account as possible!

S.h.2001

having read that i'm actually thinking of removing support for voipcheap and smsdiscount. what do people think? should i add support for this lowratevoip one or should i dump all three of them? i don't really want to be associated with the company if they're going to act like that

btw, there's a new version up. just one tiny change to fix a bug. on your current version, enter a phone number from your phone book in the To box, then click more->manage phonebook->Back and the program will crash. it took me the last two weeks to figure out why i only got the error sometimes. didn't realise it only happened when there was a number in the to box :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 toga

Excellent program and well done! However I feel it's use to me will be very limited as I have a PDA/phone, an ETEN X500 with WM 5 installed and it appears that I cannot access my contacts from Cabbage.

I don't have a lot of regularly texted numbers but I do a lot of texting and it would be of immense assistance to be able to access my contacts. However it may prove to be too difficult.

Well done again.

• Advertisement

toga wrote: »
    Excellent program and well done! However I feel it's use to me will be very limited as I have a PDA/phone, an ETEN X500 with WM 5 installed and it appears that I cannot access my contacts from Cabbage.

I don't have a lot of regularly texted numbers but I do a lot of texting and it would be of immense assistance to be able to access my contacts. However it may prove to be too difficult.

Well done again.

some phones don't allow java programs to access the phone book but often it's just a case of people not knowing how to use the j2me phone number object. if you click into the destination text box as if you're going to type a number and then press options or whatever the equivalent is on your phone there should be an option for "look up" or "contacts" or something along those lines. is the option not there?

Advertisement