Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

toga wrote: »
    Excellent program and well done! However I feel it's use to me will be very limited as I have a PDA/phone, an ETEN X500 with WM 5 installed and it appears that I cannot access my contacts from Cabbage.

I don't have a lot of regularly texted numbers but I do a lot of texting and it would be of immense assistance to be able to access my contacts. However it may prove to be too difficult.

Well done again.
    He has a webbased version on his website.

Vimes - as for supporting VOIP and all those, you're just providing a gateway, it's up to people if they want to use it or not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 toga

Thanks for the replies. When I click in the Destination Number box, the only menu or option I get is the Cabbage menu that says Cabbage Contacts, Delete Recent, Back and Exit. No other menu or option, I'm afraid.

I've tried the web based version too and I still can't access my contacts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 toga

PS Neither can I cut and paste into Cabbage.......

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Stoned Hippy

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    having read that i'm actually thinking of removing support for voipcheap and smsdiscount. what do people think? should i add support for this lowratevoip one or should i dump all three of them? i don't really want to be associated with the company if they're going to act like that

On one hand I commend your principles, but on the other hand i've been using lowratevoip for a couple of months now and haven't had a problem (apart from "free" calls costing me 1c a minute) and it would be extremely handy to be able to use cabbage to send texts.

I'm fairly biased, wanting to be able to send texts, in this matter so i'm not going to try and persuade you one way or another!

S.h.2001

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Just a little idea, any chance of a little []me checkbox that you could just tick and this will automatically send the text to your own phone aswell as whoever you pick from the contacts? Would be handy if you want to know that the server has sent the text immediately because I know sometimes o2 sends it ages after you send it online. So if it's important or whatever you know it's been sent. I know you can just add yourself in the group, or send yourself one straight after, but just a thought :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭velocirafter

has anyone any experience running cabbage in ubuntu? i tried installing it with WINE but i couldn't get it going

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭The Kid

has anyone any experience running cabbage in ubuntu? i tried installing it with WINE but i couldn't get it going

Cabbage is written in Visual Basic. I'm not sure what the VB support is like in WINE, but I wouldn't imagine it's high on their priority list, so I wouldn't fancy your chances getting it running. And even if you did get it going, I reckon it'd probably misbehave like hell (and that would be WINE's fault -- not cabbages btw).

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭velocirafter

The Kid wrote: »
    Cabbage is written in Visual Basic. I'm not sure what the VB support is like in WINE, but I wouldn't imagine it's high on their priority list, so I wouldn't fancy your chances getting it running. And even if you did get it going, I reckon it'd probably misbehave like hell (and that would be WINE's fault -- not cabbages btw).

thanks for that, i suppose i'm just going to have to get used to a world without cabbage

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Thanks for the replies. When I click in the Destination Number box, the only menu or option I get is the Cabbage menu that says Cabbage Contacts, Delete Recent, Back and Exit. No other menu or option, I'm afraid.

I've tried the web based version too and I still can't access my contacts!
    PS Neither can I cut and paste into Cabbage.......

i don't think anything can be done about that i'm afraid. i've written the code to be able to copy and paste in and the way of looking up your contacts is a standard java object called textField.PHONENUMBER so if neither of them are working, it must be something specific to your phone, blocking them both from working. maybe try aft:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055103138

and see if they work in it

btw, you wouldn't be able to access your contacts in the web based on anyway. it's entirely server side. i think random mentioned it because it has its own phone book.

On one hand I commend your principles, but on the other hand i've been using lowratevoip for a couple of months now and haven't had a problem (apart from "free" calls costing me 1c a minute) and it would be extremely handy to be able to use cabbage to send texts.

I'm fairly biased, wanting to be able to send texts, in this matter so i'm not going to try and persuade you one way or another!

S.h.2001
    fair enough. i'll add it in shortly. shouldn't take long because the code for smsdiscount and voipcheap is already written
    cormie wrote: »
    Just a little idea, any chance of a little []me checkbox that you could just tick and this will automatically send the text to your own phone aswell as whoever you pick from the contacts? Would be handy if you want to know that the server has sent the text immediately because I know sometimes o2 sends it ages after you send it online. So if it's important or whatever you know it's been sent. I know you can just add yourself in the group, or send yourself one straight after, but just a thought :)
    that's a good idea. i'll add that asap

The Kid wrote: »

I agree. i wouldn't recommend trying it in WINE
    thanks for that, i suppose i'm just going to have to get used to a world without cabbage

have you looked at jsms? it does a similar job but it's written in java so it should work on ubuntu. click the link in the kid's sig to take a look

new version out:
    • added support for low rate voip. i didn't want to sign up and pay them to test it so let me know if it doesn't work
    • added an option to send a confirmation message to your phone when sending a message to make sure that the network site is working
    • fixed a fairly serious bug where the program wouldn't open if you had it set to use separate phone books for each user

• Advertisement

That was quick thanks :)

Is there any way to get the cabbage address book to read popular address book files like thunderbird etc or whatever myphonexplorer uses?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Link to new version 404's! :)

yeah i know. Being an idiot, i left a login and some of my phonebook in the new version when i uploaded it. I deleted it until i can upload a new one minus my personal details

Thanks to nava and stoned hippy for letting me know

right so, let's try this again, without leaving myself open to identity theft

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Works for me.
    Excellent!

That was quick thanks :)

Is there any way to get the cabbage address book to read popular address book files like thunderbird etc or whatever myphonexplorer uses?

not right now. i started working on a way to do it but i got sidetracked. i'll get to it

Just checked the confirmation thing, that's cool :)

I've just up my 250 free messages so can't tell if it uses just the 1 text, or if it uses a free text for the confirmation too? And what happens if you send a group text and have the confirmation text selected too? :)

Just checked the confirmation thing, that's cool :)

I've just up my 250 free messages so can't tell if it uses just the 1 text, or if it uses a free text for the confirmation too? And what happens if you send a group text and have the confirmation text selected too? :)

it uses your free texts for both the text and the confirmation so your allowance drops by two.

btw, o2 will allow you to keep sending messages after you use up your 250 but you get charged for them. i'm not sure how it works if you're on their free text offer.

currently, if you send a group text, you get a confirmation for each message. i hadn't considered that. i should really change it

Yeah, it's handy you can send them even though you still get charged, just wasn't sure if you would get charged for the confirmation too, but I just tested and yup, you do, so I got charged 11c for the text I sent and 11c for the confirmation text, this is even though I bought a text bundle (so 5c texts) and still have loads left in the bundle and I was actually offered 50 free texts per month from O2 aswell so it's a pity to get charged the 11c through the server but ah well. I wonder what way it'd work if I get the new O2 Release plan (with free unltd texts).

I don't suppose there's a way to change the "limit" or "signature" checkbox to a confirmation checkbox so it's easier to switch between? :P

I don't suppose there's a way to change the "limit" or "signature" checkbox to a confirmation checkbox so it's easier to switch between? :P

i was thinking of moving the add signature one but i made a mess of it so i just didn't bother. it does make more sense to have it on the main screen though so i'll look into it

edit: do you think if i changed the text of it to just "confirmation text", people would know what it's for?

• Advertisement

I'd probably view the "limit" checkbox as less useful than the sig, I personally don't use either myself but of the two, limit would be the one to go for me, it says message 2 once you go over 160chars anyway so it's just the same really. I use the small interface by the way, you could just have "confirm" "sig" I'm sure people would know what it is or you could explain in the features part or whatever?

I'd probably view the "limit" checkbox as less useful than the sig, I personally don't use either myself but of the two, limit would be the one to go for me, it says message 2 once you go over 160chars anyway so it's just the same really. I use the small interface by the way, you could just have "confirm" "sig" I'm sure people would know what it is or you could explain in the features part or whatever?

done :)

i didn't bother changing the version number because there are no functionality changes.

@everyone,
    i added something new to the installer. it makes a backup of your configuration in the installation folder before installing so you won't have to worry about your contacts being deleted or anything like that. if something goes wrong, just reinstall the old one and copy the contents of the backup folder back

That's cool :D nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Just noticed also that you can login to the app giving any password and the app opens with the apperance that all is ok until you send a text and get the Error: (-2) message. Can you do anything to check the password is correct against logins.txt? This is with v 1.8 and 'remember password' unselected.

Thanks

ding

Dingatron wrote: »

Just noticed also that you can login to the app giving any password and the app opens with the apperance that all is ok until you send a text and get the Error: (-2) message. Can you do anything to check the password is correct against logins.txt? This is with v 1.8 and 'remember password' unselected.

Thanks

ding

yes i can do that. i'll stick it in the next version

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Nice one. Will stop a few phone calls from the wife!

I'm guessing this would be a lot of effort to achieve:o

I'm guessing this would be a lot of effort to achieve:o

yes it would. is it integrated into the thing at the side? can't remember what it's called now. i don't have access to a vista pc so i'd have no way of testing it.

or is that thing only available on vista? if i could get it on xp it'd make it a lot easier to do

I'm running XP so I'm not sure about Vista, the calendar and to do list is a windows program called rainlendar, remember I linked to it before and somebody said you'd just have to blend the background colour and make it always underneath everything else or sumthin. But I've shrunk it a bit in that screenshot!

• Advertisement

I'm running XP so I'm not sure about Vista, the calendar and to do list is a windows program called rainlendar, remember I linked to it before and somebody said you'd just have to blend the background colour and make it always underneath everything else or sumthin. But I've shrunk it a bit in that screenshot!

right so those things are separate programs and you just dragged them over there?

i remember you linked to it before and i started to see if i could do it but i gave up. i couldn't figure out some parts of it that i can't remember now. i'll take another look and see if i can do it

Advertisement